C&C Generals 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RetroFade, Dec 11, 2011.

1. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

If this is not rushed, it will be fucking awesome AND it's using FrostBite 2.

CLICKY

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Fuck me damn I want that game.
    And that's just by looking at the title.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I've been waiting for this for so fucking long. I just hope they give mod support.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Exactly Dz :D

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Can't wait to exploit some broken superweapons again.

7. LordDz_2

Yeah, I think the black market / supply drops really destroyed the balance, build enough and it's gg.

8. Empty

Empty Member

CnC died with westwood.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I didn't like the early CnCs, generals is quite fun, and RA2 was fun when it came out, wouldn't touch CnC other than generals with a ten foot pole now however.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Bioware...
    I mean...Bioware...and an RTS...
    I am more than doubtful on that.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That did surprise me as well, it does seem a very random decision given that bioware doesn't make RTS games as far as I know.

But still I suppose every developer didn't make RTS games at one point so we'll see. I can't really fault bioware on their production values and the idea of an RTS on an FPS engine is amazingly appealing to me ever since I played company of heroes and loved the attention to detail.

On the one hand, I'd love a simple update of generals to a gorgeous new graphics engine, on the other I can think of how absolutely amazing it would be if they went the company of heroes route and focussed on small scale detail, with an engine like that.

12. Empty

Empty Member

We're breaking up.

13. Apex

Apex Member

Wasn't Generals supposed to be the modern realistic one? Now I see RA3 Allied style tanks and GDI Orcas. Also the people who brought you Dragon Age 2.

Reserving judgement even though Generals was already horribly supported the first time & it's now being made by a company that has had their quality quickly going south(not to mention makes just RPGs).

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You never played C&C Renegade? That was quite fun... the multi-player part that is.

15. communism

communism poof

Renegade was so boss. Need a sequel

16. LordDz_2

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Renegade is good but it isn't really a CnC game in the sense that CnC means 'CnC style RTS'.

I do very much like renegade, single and multiplayer, but that's probably because it isn't really a CnC game.

If anyone liked generals and wants another game in a similar style, check out the act of war series. It is difficult to get working with more than 2gb ram however, as it isn't large address aware, but there are workarounds if you really want to play some generals but are sick of playing generals.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What can I say? I don't think early strategy games were very good at being strategy games. They were interesting certainly, and probably very good for the time, but going back to them is like trying to play doom without mouselook. There's just some things that have been done in the past ten to fifteen years that make every game produced with them so much better than anything that came before.

Things like supreme commander scale, company of heroes detail, dawn of war resource models, homeworld 3d combat, total war fluid unit mechanics, they just work so much better than old fashioned systems like CnC.

19. Empty

Empty Member

I think if you go play some TA (which came out around the same time as CnC) you'll find the scale is nearly identical to supcom.

Supcom probably has maps twice as big and looks a bit nicer, but TA was only very slightly smaller.

Also CnC is awesome still. The main issue with CnC and RA1 is unit balance and a few UI flaws (not that many really), if you play some OpenRA (basically RA remade with modern rts UI elements, much better balance but the same graphics/gameplay) you'll eat your words.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The point is that CnC does not deviate very far from the earliest RTS games available, when TA came out CnC was working off an older formula, which is the reason I don't like it.