New/updated notification system.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Nickierv, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

With the current system dodgy at best and at times just downright annoying, some changes to alerts and notifications.

Change cv under attack to cv taking damage: infantry weapons will set off the under attack alert, as will just about everything else. Being flipped and losing hp will not.
    A simple fix might be to check the hp and armor every second. If it decreases, play the alert.
    CV taking damage alert overrides everything else.

Key building rax, radar, vf have built/under attack alerts and a short range autospot. Auto spot range is no more than twice the building length from the middle of the building.
    The team needs to know the status of these buildings, and the autospot adds a bit of defender advantage and helps with small teams.

A turret will mark the target that it is engaging on the map after a short delay, with higher turrets having a shorter delay.
    Non key buildings flash on the map when under attack, no autospot.
    Non key buildings have no notifications for being built: I dont need to know about every single wall segment that is built.

Player under attack messages get removed: they are on the minimap already, usually someone will show up on the kill list (who killed who with what list), and more often than not someone will mention that they are being shot at.

This assumes that the autospot system will be staying around.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Yes, please.

I believe trixster said autospot was removed/nerfed. I support that decision. If you want autospotting have an engineer use his camera for a change.

Turrets marking enemies would be nice.
    All buildings already do flash on the map when they take damage.

I would rather the autospot go the way of the dinosaur or take a huge nerf.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Most of the ideas are terribad, and on this rare occasion, Viroman has the right idea. If you particularly want an explanation, I'm happy to give one when I get home tonight.

4. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

A lot of the autospot idea is dependent on the availability of targets. If targets come back, autospot needs to go.As for range, prone on the BE rax and you are marked, as BE has more annoying little spots that you can hide in.

Besides, a lot of this is to avoid derailing other threads with suggestions of reducing notification spam.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I won't segregate quotes because the football is starting soon and that's more important, but I'll explain my opinion on this matter.

Any form of passive monitoring is bad. Information should never, EVER be handed over on a silver plate to a team. Why? Because it removes the human element from the equation. Passive monitoring means that if I want to sneak into an enemy base, I can't do it without becoming visible to the enemy. This is why autospot sucks so much. Why, when the enemy base is undefended, should I not be able to sneak in?

Because seriously, how many other online multiplayer games have TRUE stealth. Not some sniper camping in a ghillie suit, I mean proper stealth, where you sit there watching enemies, and sneak towards your objective. And I mean online. I can't think of a single game that ever did that. Empires has this incredible stealth aspect that is so overlooked it's just sad. It's entirely unique and not one game has it, yet people want to add things like listening towers and autospot to totally remove it.

We have cameras, and the great thing about them is that they're small so they can be hidden, but they can be taken out in one shot, which means you can drop them without being spotted, unless the engineer sees the GUI element disappear. Turrets are a pain, and having them spot on minimap would be the worst addition the game could ever had. It would be worse than autospot.

At the end of the day, if something takes damage, then it should alert you, but we have it fine at the moment. It tells you over voice, and it flashes on the minimap. But you have to take time out from what you're doing as commander, to interpret what you've just heard. You have to be distracted. And that's the wonderful human element, and I can't possibly see why you'd want that removed. Commanding isn't easy, but these things don't need to be mastered to command, they're part of the learning curve.

I could honestly write pages and pages about this, so by all means challenge me on any of the points.

6. ViroMan

foosball is the devil.

7. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Can we also get rid of dead enemies on minimaps?

I find myself looking at the minimap and then kill spawning to raxes that have enemy arrows around them, only to find out that they're already dead.

8. ViroMan

yes please.. one less thing for the map to glitch on. OHH there is an ENEMY APC next to rax!... ohh no its a dead body.

9. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

But what happens when the alerts dont work? More than a few times I have had cv under attack alerts not work, and trying to hear anything when the sound system flips out from too many missile shots going off at once?
    Is there any possibility of removing alerts from non key buildings and/or moving cv under attack notification to a top priority?

As for the autospot I think it is a stupid mechanic that should have never been added, but are there any plans for resolving the places on BE buildings that scouts can hide/glitch into? I can think of at least 2 on the vf. Stealth is one thing, having to recycle half your base because someone has managed to glitch into a building is different. The only reason for keeping autospot is to because no one is willing to change (fix) the models.