reno air race crash

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dubee, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

well.... I almost died again....

2. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

now you have your own ramstein. only a pitty that there probably are a couple of bands with reno in their names already, huh?

PS: sorry karma :S

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

it was a great day till that point, I saw a f-22 demo, f18 and a U2 flew over real low and then i got to talk to pilots of a reaper drone who answered all kinds of questions i had about what they did.. And the all the old vintage planes were dope too and I got a bunch of great pictures

5. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Screenshots or didn't happen.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

When I went to Leuchars airshow last year, this Typhoon flew over nearly vertically, like, pointing up at a really high angle, but flying horizontally, it looked fucking incredible.

Not to mention the Vulcan Bomber showing up, quite possibly the best aircraft ever made. But, I'd have loved to have seen a U2, so I'm pretty jelly about that. I could care less about shitty F18/F22, but the U2 was an incredible feat of engineering at the time, much like the Vulcan.

7. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

So the BE Fighter Jets needs more beta testing?

What about Rammstein?

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah, man that U2 was amazing.. It had to come from an undisclosed location and just do one quick fly by, but boy it was a treat. The f-18's low speed passes were as impressive as high speed, it was practically floating.. So much power, the f-22's were grounded do to a oxygen problem they are trying to solve. But the Reaper was really cool, talking to those guys..

[​IMG]

they basically kill a bunch of terrorists from a center in Las Vegas(literally vegas) and then go home to there families at night, that is pretty awesome imo.. plus these things are so high up they cant even be seen.

[​IMG]

These are just some of the crappy photos from my phone I took more on my friends camera and will post those when he sends them to me.

9. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I don't see you in any of the frames. Obviously google'd. Extra e-peen points if you got in the cockpit of one of those planes.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

By vintage did you get to see some preserved B-22 or something?

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

When he sends me the pictures I will post them, I got a couple pictures of me in front of a p-40 warhawk and one in front of a jet. They would barely let you even touch those things let alone sit in one, but they had this one oldschool plane I can't remember what kind but you could sit in it for some kind of price, I didn't care too much to do so though. I just wanted to see them fly and ask the pilots questions.

You know, the last time I went they had a bunch of old bombers like b-29's and b-17s which i actually got to go inside, but this year i didn't see any. They just had WW2 fighters this year, but no bombers, i don't think i saw many if any bombers at all. I am guessing they might be too old or precious to fly out there, they don't repair them and work on them like those p-51's because you can't race them really. They had a thing going on for awhile out here where for like a thousand dollars(maybe less) you could ride in a B-17, I saw it flying around a bunch and was wondering why and then my dad told me they were doin that. That fuel cost has to be ridiculous.

They had one of those giant C-130's tho like from call of duty lol and this giant I think c-17 which was like the size of a mansion[​IMG]
    a full grown man could stand up straight in that engine.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

13. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Member

Fuck yeah P-51 still getting confirmed kills decades after retirement.

14. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I think the P-51 pilot thought he was flying a Mitsubishi A6M Zero.

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

There is a Vulcan grounded at Southend Airport, has been for years. The train tracks go past a few meters from it and I pass it on the train into London on my commute. When I was young we used to break into the airport and mess around in the old planes they had dumped there in this like plane graveyard. We used to get chased away by this beaten up old land rover.

16. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

lol. Shame that such a incredible plane was lost.

17. Trickster

That, I am fucking jelly of.

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Geez, they would just shoot you out here and ask questions later.. I guess it must not have much technology worth protecting if all they have is some old guy in a truck.. Maybe America is just over protective of its tech but that U-2 for example still has many classified features..

19. Trickster

The U-2 itself doesn't, it's the tech they've bolted on recently that does. And it's still in service. These were old derilict aircraft that weren't used anymore. At the time of flying, the Vulcan was probably the most advanced bomber on the planet. They did a test with the US where 8 US aircraft and 8 Vulcans tried to "break into" the US without their stuff picking them up, and then bomb a city, simulated ofc. All 8 US ones got caught, and just 1 Vulcan did. It really was the dog's bollocks. But now it's like 60 years old, only 1 is flying as a charity run thing, it's really sad. It was such an amazing aircraft.

But the point being, no-one really cares if some old outdated stuff gets looked at by some children. At the time, going within 10 miles of one would have had your head riddled with bullets, but there's no reason to protect old stuff like that from anything more than vandalism.

20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yeah it was at the time it was a tiny airport with a few domestic/mainland european flights but mostly hobbyists in props. Plus there was no flight activity at that time.

And we were no where near the Vulcan which was nearer the actual buildings, we would never have touched that beast anyway. We were just boarding these old junkers and pretending to be pilots and trying to steal seatbelts to make into waistbelts.

Theres still loads of little airports all over europe with no security other than a rent-a-cop to protect from theft and vandals and stuff. But yeah its not like we were vaulting 20ft chainlinks and walking around Heathrow airport surrounded by 747s or secret military tech. Like I said, you can clearly see it about 15 meters from the train line that runs next to it. Just a little back water airfield.