emp_chain beta version ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

Edit:
    Link temporarily down while the latest version is being prepared

Screens of the previous version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

that looks like some sexy shit... when can we play? now? yes lets.

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Let's scrim on this tonight!

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

omg :|ove:

5. ViroMan

I saw it on the CW server so I joined it but then it ended in 1 min. :( btw... ITS NOT ON THE MAP LIST! I couldn't vote it in or rtv it. :(

6. Empty

Empty Member

I'm not sure that's a good idea, neither team will know the map that well, as a warmup it might be fun but as a serious scrim round it'll suck, not to mention the map isn't symmetrical so there's probably some balance issues that need to be worked out.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ive changed map to it as of right now and set it as nextmap.

8. w00kie

played it for 5 minutes, got the NF comm stuck in the trees outside NF main (when it was A1 for NF) right after round start.
    maybe move the NF CV to the other side of the baracks, please?

Ref spots on the map look quite like NF spawn points.
    maybe just add a yellow dot on the orange cirlce.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Looks really awesome, I love how it is one of the only maps that utilize the Starcraft 2 or Warcraft 3 elevated mains with the expansions on a lower area.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

There is one major problem at least related to the map preventing people from playing it on Epic server and Viper server (i'm guessing viper as well as the previous version didn't work there either).
    It works perfectly on the CW server.

Thanks to Trickster and Razorbud we might have an idea about what causes it: bzipping the models. With some luck we can fix this problem then.
    I'm gone for the rest of the evening though (getting drunk in a newly discovered 100+ beer types pub), but i should be back and almost sober by tomorrow noon.

I did want to plan an emp_chain playtest tomorrow evening on the CW server (afternoon for americans), but since new maps end quite quickly, and since i'm the only one who'd enjoy playing the same map twice (or fifty) times, i dropped that idea.

And now i have to go take a good shit to make room for some strong quality beers ^^

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  11. w00kie

hey playing the same map over and over again is what I call redundancy in gameplay. It is just as awesome as using the same concrete texture in every mod.

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

we played manticore like 3 times straight when releasing

I'd love to try this map, if you guys do some srs playtesting someone msg me

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Just played it for the first time.

Looks really good - I love how much detail there is everywhere you look. Hope you get this working on all the servers. I think it will play well too. Looking forward to the day when theres 40+ people playing this map.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

15. w00kie

okay don't get me wrong here, the map is awesome (period).

But my 2 cents on things that would make the outcome even better:
    • more variation in used textures
    • different textures from the different levels or a little help on the minimap on where to get to higher ground etc.
    • POM textures for the concrete roads and grass (not the shitty ones we have already, thx for not using any of those :D)
    • those huge concrete walls could use something on them (advertisements or pictures of bratwurst, anything)
    • maybe some map buildables to fortify the bases in the south a little
    • something cool in the skybox

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Thanks for the feedback.

I can agree on:

- That said i used lots of decals on the walls already. Most available grafiti decals have been used at least 4 times (and there's about 12 or so), i've added about 100 water stain decals and also the branding decals got used at least once each. other decals were used more sparsly. That said, since there's so many walls, it's true they will always benefit from more detail.
    - More detail in the skybox would always be nice, but i'm pretty satisfied with the current snow mountains.

I would still add better lighting to the wishlist as well

I don't even know what POM textures are btw.

I don't care much for:

- I don't mind that people are not completely aware of the layout the first time they play a map. Adding artificial stuff to the minimap to make edges more clear or whatever would help a newby once; but would mean being stuck with an ugly minimap forever after.
    - South has enough tree cover and hilly terrain to protect infantry better than most maps already, and vehicles need room as well. For those who want more effective cover, this is where the empires walls shine anyway :)

But honestly, i've spend enough time on this map already, i'm hoping i don't have to open it in Hammer for at least a year or so. ^^
    Or ever ...

17. w00kie

Parallax occlusion mapping
    Textures that support tessellation, like the concrete streets in emp_district, but done right.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I just played it. Took a while to get my head around it, but once I started commanding it made a lot more sense. Sadly I got apc rushed and the only apc we had got stolen by a noob and driven the opposite way from my dying CV, so suffice to say, I got pretty mad. But the map seems pretty nice. A lot of building placement areas too.

I did notice that the urban areas were harder to push into than the open areas, due to the room for building placement. And it seemed like the south wast was much better than the south east, due to being able to lock off that central path from that one side, rather than it being open to both. But overall, fucking awesome.

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

Since the map is confusing the people who play it for the first time -making it my best map so far- i'm gonna give some tips:

- Know the attack paths (image below)
    - This layout makes for confusing walk distances, be aware of this!
    For example: (image below)
    * going from res spot 11 to res spot 5 takes almost twice as long as going from 5 to 11
    * going from 9 to 10 takes nearly four times as long as going from 10 to 9
    - North has way more entrances, and is therefor more difficult to block off against attackers, but also makes it more difficult to be walled in by attackers
    - The Northern base provides a huge advantage to the people defending it because of the corridors and infantry walkways, however it holds only 2/12 res spots so turtling completely within the walls will kill you
    - The Northern team has to walk further to build their first refineries; if the team does not go hunting for refs immediately at map start this will make a big enough difference for the other team to win, even with the base advantage

Screens:

Attack paths:

[​IMG]

Walk distances between the res spots:

[​IMG]

Possible attack plan:

[​IMG]

20. ViroMan

too bad I still can't play it. no one will vote the map in. :/