How To Get Custom Content Working

Discussion in 'Support' started by harryhoot1, Jun 9, 2011.

?

This tutorial.....

1. helped, thanks harryhoot1.

75.0%
  2. didn't help.

25.0%
  1. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

Get the program gcfscape: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/gcfscape182.exe

1. OPEN YOUR STEAMAPPS FOLDER, THE 3 FILES WE WANT ARE THE ONES HIGHLIGHTED IN THE IMAGE BELOW.
    [​IMG]

2. OPEN ONE OF THOSE FILES, THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THAT EMPIRES FOLDER AND EXTRACT.
    [​IMG]

3. EXTRACT IT TO YOUR 'SOURCEMOD' FOLDER.
    [​IMG]

4.DO THE SAME THING FOR THE OTHER 2 GAME CACHE FILES (GCF) THAT WE WANT.

5. RESTART STEAM.

6. ADD CUSTOM CONTENT TO THE EMPIRES FOLDER THAT IS NOW IN YOUR SOURCEMOD FOLDER TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT. (just like old times:) )

7. OPEN YOUR LIBRARY AND YOU SHOULD SEE 2 COPIES OF EMPIRES. THIS IS THE STEAM COPY THAT WE DON'T WANT TO USE ANYMORE. YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE ACHIEVEMENTS, FRIENDS, ETC.
    [​IMG]

8. THIS IS THE COPY WE WANT. YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE THE FEATURES THAT THE STEAM COPY HAS.
    [​IMG]

If you have any questions, post them.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

well i want a jurassic park jeep too

also, how long have you been using this? i dont think people would want to use this knowing they might get vacbanned in the future for some unknown reason.

3. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This isn't really the proper method to do it. There's a way using the normal Steam Empires setup.

5. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

How does one create their own .gcf archive, to make everything neat and tidy and - VACBanned? - lemme check the EULAs real quick. . .

I'll try just deleting the .gcfs after doing this.
    Might wait for Trickster to elaborate.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

been there, done that, I'd say thank you to that I'm a turtle guy, cause he posted it here first.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Good first sentence! The next ones are supposed to explain the said method. <3

Jesus Christ, that is awesome. Why don't we just make those the default?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  8. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

LMFAO.....Great Idea harry

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Don't actually know the method. I just know a few people have done it. I'll try and find out over this weekend.

10. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

It worked! Thank god. No more terrible death sounds.

11. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Now that I have thought about this more....Why has steam not done any thing to prevent this workaround ??? I mean really this makes it so you can do a lot more then custom skins and sounds. What is keeping someone from ripping off the empires mod reskinning it and claiming it as their own ? This should really be brought up to steam.

12. Apex

Apex Member

Reskinning/fixing existing models & textures is common in source games. Removing this will make custom content that much harder as you won't have access to the original models for such things as size and skeleton rigging comparisons(especially for newer modders).
    Anyone who rips content for reputation is stupid anyway. Ripping source mod content will probably get you pointed out and shunned quickly unless you're using such content for a community that will never overlap with the source community. I'm not sure how Valve handles ripping THEIR content for OS/free software and games, but doing it for profit will land them in a quick and dirty lawsuit. At least going by when I was in a few RTS modding communites.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  13. Krazer

Krazer Member

Lasarz!

14. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Not saying for profit. But say people take empires and give it a twist....Say like a science fiction twist and people decide to go with that version Or what happens With the next update when people decide that they will just stick with this version to keep the custom content. Then it will be splitting the community in half. Tho as long as we have Harry making his maps and giving us aircraft and custom skins it might not be a bad thing. Speaking of that wtf...really.....People been begging for custom skins and aircraft and only Harryhoot was able to do it??? Why is he not lead developer ? He seems to be the only one giving people what they want. Harryhoot you are my hero :P

15. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

As someone already said this guy figured it out first, it doesn't matter either way its not a fix its a workaround. I have no idea why an update hasn't been released to address it or if anyone on the dev team has even attempted to fix it for steampires.

16. Krazer

Krazer Member

Unfortunately his aircraft aren't "true" vehicles. But that doesn't make them any less awesome. :p

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

i wonder how long it will take for me to replace my placement sounds with tim allen

18. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

19. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

That looks more like a problem caused by your client using whatever custom textures.
    What the hell is that supposed to be anyway? Transparent wall?

*EDIT* Oh wait... that's a modifed texture!
    haxor

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  20. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Transparent wall that is not effected by sv_pure.