So I started to play dwarf fortress again.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Mayama-, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Zeke, what is this i don't even.

First off, you should have 3 cavern levels, each one should have as much trees (or rather, woody fungi) as a tropical/warm forest.

Secondly, minerals were heavily debuffed in recent versions. As you probably can recall, .31 versions had TONS of minerals, so toady nerfed that by adding new world gen param MINERAL_SCARCITY and set the default to 2500.
    You can copy your world gen seed, change that param to ~500 (works fine for me)and regenerate.
    '
    For magma handling, i recommend reading some magma wiki articles about magma and pumps. Piston is new invention, but I doubt you will succed on your first try with that.

SHALLOW METAL means that there is only one kind of ,well ,shallow metal (tetra ,iron ores, and tetra is faaar more common)
    METALS means that theer is more than one type but there is no fucking way of knowing which without embarking and using dfhack. Also you can't see the rock types anymore, so you can't plan a good embark that has all the metalss, like granite+flux+gabbro.

For ash and charcoal. Best solutions is modding the game. Most people add vermin remains burninf at the kiln that consumens no fuel for ash. For charcoal i advise too look up the charcoal furnace which produces 2 charcoals from 1 wood, but the work time is slower.

You might want to look up genesis mod, or at least its modded workshops.

Lastly, you can use the PerfectWorldDF for easy creation of certain embarks.

2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Derp

Which my armourless hammerdwarfs easily clear out of it's current citizens which are more powerfull and far higher in numbers than my whole fort?
    no i dont think so. i'll stay the hell away there untill i got equipment.

I actually changed the scarcity to 1250 already, but i dont wanna regen the world since i like this site and fort.

i've read plenty of articles on magma and pumps in earlier versions :P
    piston looks like a neat thing, but i'm gonna be DERP and stick to the old ways lol.
    (mainly since i dont wanna fuck shit up at the first attempt xD)
    (partially since i want an obsidian factory later)

i never intended to plan a "good" embark... did you even look at the map? lol
    i'm asking for advice regarding my current fort, im not asking about making a new fort :P

no way.

looks like a gay easy-mode mod.
    do not want.

pussy.

Anyway after a bit of thinking i decided on the following:
    Make a magma metal-works area at the source.
    Melt a ton of nickel ore and melt down iron objects using magma smelters.
    Craft nickel pipes and glass/iron screws using magma forges. (i dont have sand on the map... so glass is gained only when i occationally find it on a trader)
    Create a "improved" nickel/iron pumpstack going through 139 levels to the magma sea with a on/off switch in the form of a hatch. (A sacrifical dwarf will open a tunnel to the source)
    During the construction of the pumps ill add new forge areas along it as i progress upwards.

3. FN198

FN198 Member

oh zeke you're so hard CORE

4. Zeke

Zeke Banned

ya i know bro, maybe one day you will be that too.

5. FN198

FN198 Member

maybe one day, i, too, will STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Have you considered builing a tree farm? I mean you have water and presumably you don't have any retarded self imposed rules against building a big flat area and flooding it a bit.

I assume that would allow overground trees to grow just as it does underground ones.

Oh also bolt material isn't that important, at the rate your dwarves can fire at good levels of training, and the limited coverage of even the best suit of armory, you can probably kill plenty of goblins just by shooting them with your machine-crossbowdorfs and burying them under the weight of bone bolts.

Also consider making some ballistae, if you can get into the third cavern layer and get some of that really dense wood, then tip it with silver heads, you might be able to crush your way through some goblins. Or you could try adamantine arrowheads whatever.

I think your best bet is probably just to build some water-based deathtraps to kill goblins, and build some elevated drawbridges to keep the damn zombie whales out until you have the iron.

Or you could try ordering some from the winter caravan. Or even see if you can get your hands on some good war animals. You might be able to order elephants from the caravan if you're in a hot area, although they are quite hard to keep fed.

Oh also if you're low on wood, caravans will bring lots, especially elves, I can run forts solely on elven wood imports.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  7. Z100000M

You call genesis mod easy? Lol sir, you are horribly mistaken.

Ballistae suck dick from my experience, accuracy is horrible even with legendary operators and masterpiece.

The trick with caravans is that you have to deplete your stock at once because the amount of wood brough depends of how many logs/trees there are on the map.

Don't bother with crossbows, they are still pretty bugged atm.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah ballistae aren't brilliant, you're supposed to use them in a corridor where the enemy can't move around much. They should do a lot of damage, but you need to treat them like a trap rather than a weapon.

They'd actually be better if you could just link them to pressure plates.

9. Zeke

Zeke Banned

bone bolts... material isn't important...

Chris... What was the latest version you played?

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

.25, although I haven't shot anything in it yet.

It worked fine in .18 though.

Like I said, bolt material only matters like it does for all weapons, in terms of penetration. But because of the numbers of bolts you can send downrange, you can murder the fuck out of most anything other than a very heavily armored (or naturally armored) enemy just by hitting where the armor isn't.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i use wooden bolts for training and military, only my guards get metal bolts, just get like 2 or 3 squads to be average at marsman and never split them up in battle

our bolts will block out the sun

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

to give you an idea of a safe, efficient and processor economical pumpstack (line up the doors and the stairs to see what goes where on multiple layers)

[​IMG]

the advantages of the +1 square reservoirs are that it saves a lot of cpu cycles by having a constant temperature, plus pumping faster and with less lava drying up

this is for a lava stack though, works just as well for water, but the chamber does not have to be that big with water

13. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I have a permanent ghost buddy chilling in my main hall. Was testing to make sure my draw bridge was raising the right direction. Didn't even realize there was a dwarf in the way when I put it back down. He's got a coffin but no corpse to put in it :(. Oh well, at least all my dwarves are plenty happy from passing the two slate statues on the way to dinner. I don't suppose dwarves adjust to seeing the ghost of a weaver.

Have you seen the wiki on noise? Apparently noise is crazy wonky. Moving a chair creates a 33 by 33 by 33 cube of noise yet workshops don't make any noise. Feel free to put your dedicated industry dwarve's workshops in their bedrooms XD.

14. Z100000M

You can create,engrave and place a stone slab that will put the ghost to rest.

15. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Discovery, adamantine hammers are the best training weapons.
    Since hammers deal damage based on the weight and mass of an
    object and adamantine being about as heavy and dense as silk is more or less as lethal
    as a hammer made of styrofoam thus you will never have training "accidents".

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

dude... there is wooden training weapons now.
    so ur axe/sword dwarfs wont go chopping peoples limbs off anymore nor will your spear dwarfs puncture the hearts or other organs.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Featherwood would probably work just as well.

Whereas denser woods would be best for things like ballista arrows.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  18. Cloud

Cloud Member

Training axes are wonderful for cutting down trees~

19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

i just saw this and came to leave it here

(dont rant at me if its not complex enough or something, i really just saw it)

20. Zeke

Zeke Banned

its horrible...