emp_atomic is now available

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Mar 29, 2011.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

the long red fences with the barbed wire on top, could you cut some holes in them?
    Just like one small hole to crouch through, in the middle?
    I would up running around those so many times it really bugged me.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, although I could replace them with something bigger if you feel a metal fence to be an unworthy obstacle to your magnficence?

There isn't really any functional difference between the enormous concrete walls and the red fences, other than red fences being half the height and less thick, they're both supposed to be impassable visblocking obstacles.

3. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

You can jump on the BE Heavy tank near the NF base and get stuck in it.

4. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

god you're an asshole

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I was actually being serious, a metal fence is not exactly an obstacle that should stop a dude armed with a rocket launcher and enough explosives to put a tank into near earth orbit.

I'll probably make the longer ones into something a bit more imposing so that you get the idea they aren't supposed to be passable. I am not, however, removing them because they are a fairly important divider where they exist.

6. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Fixed! finally. for some reasons the permissions of the materials folder changed, we corrected it and the map downloads fine now.

7. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

adding a commander?
    I crash every time I fly around as spec
    "reliable snapshot error"

but I have an idea how to make a commander outside of the map and make it accessible at the same time

8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

nah I just thought it was annoying to have to walk around, they look good enough, I didn't realize they were for vis blocking.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well they aren't just for visblocking, they provide fairly important structure as well. Most of them shouldn't be that long, the only long one I can think of is the one next to the big transmitter array outside BE spawn. The others are just to make doorways a bit narrower so players are funneled together. The ones around the rooftop however are very important for visblocking, it'd run like crap if they weren't there.

The new flags should make them work better, as you will probably not want to go through the fences once they're in.

Good to know, thanks for putting it on the server.

10. gezor

gezor Member

remove the elevator. its too slow, bugged (ppl get stuck) and its a noob magnet. last game i played, nf had last flag in middle and 2/3 of my team kept rushing into the deathtrap elevator like retarded lemmings.

sorry if this has alredi been mentioned, im too lazy to read 7 pages.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make the elevator a "teleport away and to location" device

less buggy and can be made to look so no-one can see the difference

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm going to change the elevator to be much bigger and less deathtrappy. Essentially it's going to be an area which closes the doors, moves, and then opens them onto the upper floor. So you can take up positions behind boxes and things and cover the doors before they open.

I was also considering turning it into a teleporty elevator which would be practical with the new design, i've made one before so I know how seamless they can be, but we'll see how well the new design works first.

I'll also probably add some stairs as well. As you say it is rather a bad noob magnet, I didn't really expect people to keep using it after the first time they got shot the instant it reached the second floor but apparently that isn't the case.

13. Demented

Demented Member

Stairs would be good. As it is, the elevator is the only decent route from the rotunda flag to the bleeder flag, but if it's so slow and defensible it becomes more like the bridge in slaughtered; a fool's errand that still requires a skeleton crew to defend it. Though, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the elevator itself would be if stairs were added.

The other routes between flags aren't much good either. Though it's probably okay in the case of the reactor and liquid processing(?), since nobody will ever want to cap them because they don't bleed and their spawnpoints suck: One has you waiting on a rotating walkway (which are also often blocked), the other has you walking in darkness. It's easier to walk to the middle from the bases.

The capture zone on the rotunda flag isn't exactly intuitive when it forces you to be on the edge. It favors the defending team the smaller the capture area is, and the defending team in that area is probably going to be jumping to the outside and moving inwards, rather than using the elevator in the center of the rotunda and moving outwards.

Also, require two people to capture. Trust the Empires standard. Two people.

14. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

shit processing, this is what's at the end of Manticore's canal.

+1 to stairs alongside elevator

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The one with the rotating walkway has ladders you can climb over the fences with. Although apparently people had difficulty noticing them, so I'll either make them more obvious, or possibly just make that spawn point on a raised catwalk which you can jump off, should be less confusing.

Core spawn is kinda useless at the moment yeah, mostly it's just there as an option, once I add the vents and the spawns in the train depot/generator room, the core should be more useful, as it would be part of controlling the plant building, which in turn will give you the best access to filtration, which in turn would give you excellent access to the middle without having to go through the side rooms which are easy to cover through the skylights.

Alternative you could cap the basin, but the basin is kind of all or nothing, if you lose the basin you lose everything on that side of admin, whereas the other side of the map gives you more options and fallback points and so on.

Stairs will be something you always have access to, but stairs are kind of easy to camp as well, the new elevator should be less campable than a staircase, only as bad as a large doorway.

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The first time it was played (Chris, Mootant and Trickster were there), me and another engy just completely shut the elevator down with turrets.

Between the two of us, we had four lvl2MGs covering it. It was brutal.

17. MooJuiceThaHater

MooJuiceThaHater Member

Chris I havn't read all the crap you posted because it's too long. Make more maps who have no heavys and demand a balance of infantry and tanks. Awesome map for team work and squad play.
    We need to have a pug on this map.
    I would recomend having the tickets for this map around 500

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I'll cut the tickets a bunch, 80 minutes is a bit too long and if I rebalance the map for 40 players it's going to require a bigger ticket cut. 500-600 sounds good.

The map should be very good for pugs as it was designed for coordinated teams. I'd wait for RC4 though which should be whenever I get chance. Report handin is today so I should have more time after that.

19. MooJuiceThaHater

MooJuiceThaHater Member

I would also suggest removing the elevator or atleast putting more work into it.

It's very slow.
    It's buggy.
    As said previously it's a noob magnet.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I figure if I make it faster (which I can if it's enclosed and you don't need to actually fight while it's moving) bigger (which should make it much easier to keep people apart and not jam it, as well as adding some cover on the lift) and change the doors so that they open when the lift is stopped, and in one direction, then it should work a lot better.