Steam Progress

Discussion in 'News' started by Brutos, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

So, we're on steam. Steam patch 1 can be expected any time now, with a number of important crash fixes, optimisation improvements, and now we are proud to announce things that will come with the second patch:

Some more integration into steam itself, in the form of both Achievements, and some brand new features which Valve have personally helped us to implement.
    So, for you, our dedicated, unrelenting community, We present you:

Hats!

Empires will, in the next version, receive a variety of hat unlocks, that will enable you to fit out your classes with their own unique touch. To complement this, we will be adding new player models for each class, which our modellers (Smithy and Mayama) have been hard at work on for several months. A minority of hats will be unlockable via achievements, however most of them will be purchasable from our very own Hat store. We have chosen not to include hat drops, crafting or trading, as we feel this may promote idling.

But we're not there yet. As it stands, we have just a small selection of hats. However, based off the huge support and contributions we've had to the voting for achievements (many of which we've used), we have decided to let you, the community, submit your hat ideas, for our modellers to create. You can find the submission page at: http://brutos.org/hats.php (Please keep images at 64x64).

And, as if this wasn't already fantastic news, Valve have agreed to put our venerable Brenodi Engineer hat, into TF2, unlockable by receiving a yet to be revealed achievement, in Empires. Here's a sneak preview from our Steamworks test account:

[​IMG]

So, here's to more development. Thanks go to the dedicated guys behind the scenes, helping make this happen, as well as our dedicated community. If all goes well here, we may even expand into new items such as new weapons! And remember to submit your own hat ideas to get them in!

Fun Fact: We have received over 6000 votes on the achievements until today.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

can i get an nf cap for be?

will you be adding a armour store if the hats go over well?

also i really appreciate the openess and amount of care the development team has taken with the adding of achievements.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

From what I've been told, I don't think that would be possible (NF cap for BE), as the idea is to make sure the new additions don't get in the way of gameplay. But armour store yeah, I guess there's a lot of room for stuff. Apparently, Brutos, Smithy and Mayama have been on this for ages, but myself, MOOtant and Beerdude had literally no idea, so I've just got as much info as I can off Brutos tonight whilst he was on IRC. I'll find out more tomorrow.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I am very happy with this new direction empires is taking. This is an excellent endeavour and I am pleased to see that you are putting our modelling resources to the best possible use.

5. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Wow, this is great! I can't wait to release my new map emp_greenwich. That hat in TF2 will help improve Empires suprisingly growing player-base, but, man, I mean the modelers could have spent their time better. So many people will play my map! Congrat's on getting the largest group of active players I have seen since I started playing Empires back in April '09, just before 2.24. Unfortunately the new players are largely unresponsive fools who all too eagerly get into the CV. N.E.D.M.!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah wow a hat in tf2 is like a rite of passage or something

NICE WORK FRIENDS :D

seriously that's super awesome im sweating like a nerd cause I want one (LIKERIGHTNOW!) lol...

Achievements too! so awesome. srsly... what's next? A new freaking heavy? nahhh.

7. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Even though I hate this "BUY THIS, GET TF2 HAT" shit, I have to say, this is rather awesome. Lots of TF2 kiddies will come around because of the hat. (I know things)

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

fucking hats man we get fucking hats yeah bitch tf2 is the best fucking game ever now oh dam man hats!

10. Empty

Empty Member

I still can't believe we actually persuaded valve to do this.

11. gezor

gezor Member

12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Epic Empires Additions or Epic Dev Trolls?

Only time will tell.

Seriously, you gotta be trolling.

14. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Guys, I think there's something wrong in your posts above. May need edits. This post is serious business, just like every match of Empires. Fail-devs just chose a bad date to put out the news. Like how I just let slip emp_greenwich around the start of said bad date in said village's mean time. :headshot:

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I'll hold my breath then.

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

i got my own opinion on this
    concerning that i know what the rest is doing and 01.04. ...
    but im not gonna spoil ;P

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ah MAN! You have a WRENCH! Can I get mine changed to Wench and have flamin' hot chix0rz painted across the sides?

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

19. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

/facepalm

But seriously, I thought the same thing.

>>

Anyway, TF2 might actually get some blood out of this stone if Empires stuff pops up there. I <3 hats.

Hell, while you're at it, we need more hats in Empires! What the fuck were the devs thinking when they only added one hat per class? Sick sons of bitches...

[​IMG]

20. RKB53

RKB53 Member

If only...

You do this every damn year you dick.

ps: T hats some sloppy photoshop work you got there.