Chaff or Flares

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by meg griffin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Whenever you get a missile lock in your tank from a turret, it is very difficult to overrun it. You have to probably equip a 3 phase engine and try to get the missile to hit a wall after you do a sharp turn.

I propose to implement Chaffs or Flares for tanks that would occupy 1 missile slot (or 2...).

When you are driving and get a missile lock, you can fire your flare so the missile removes the lock from you and go hit the flare.

Flares should be researched maybe in the electric tree (?)

1 Flare will always only deflect 1 missile. So if you got a lock from a salvo fire with 4 missiles you need to fire 4 flares to prevent the missiles to hit you.

Also the reload time of the flares should be slow.

Pros: Reduce the effectivity of turret farms. Conter the long range fire from tracking missiles from other tanks.

Cons: Lots of new development. Unbalance the game again until the right amount of flares and reload capabilities are worked out correctly.

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I like.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Research HE or Nukes
    ???
    Victory.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

flares should be standard if implemented, possibly give a blinding effect too (like flashbangs) so they work on missiles and cannons

actually that would be pretty neat, if not made too long effect (like if you are staring in it 5 seconds blinding)

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I hate flashbangs, not more of 'em, please.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its ok if it doesnt last long, just to piss off some and confuse em while you run or bail

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I don't think it should occupy a weapon slot, unless if it does anything else like in advance wars how the flare tank could reveal a space in fog of war maps.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

there is no fog of war in empmod, i think basically a flashbang that distracts missiles is pretty cool already to take a missile slot...

and if it does not occupy a missile slot or anything like that or does not come with standard equipment its just ether going to be taken always or never, and thats not choice thus not adding strategy thus useless to code

9. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

It should take a weapon slot. You will have to reduce your attack capabilities to have better defenses. Its like if you want to have more armor but have to give up one of your cannons for that.

If it takes 2 weapon slots then light tanks cannot use it. just mediums and heavies.

10. [KM] The Corpse

[KM] The Corpse Member

yay, because tank battles need more particles.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

they do

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I suggested this a few months ago, and it's still a good idea

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its even in the original design doc for empiresmod, for whatever thats worth

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i too think they should be default but have no other effect then preventing a single random ml-turret hit. so basically no reload time but something in between 20-40s RoF (maybe per chassis, apcs+lights 20s to heavies 40s, arty gets none)
    another interesting idea would be to give 3 per tank with 0.1s semi auto RoF but not have them reload unless on a rep pad (but that would be inconsisten with that bullshit idiotic <insertmorewordsofdisagreeing> unlimited ammo madness). this would have a similar outcome, though used correctly it could indeed be used offensive/tactical.

you shouldnt be able to deny a hit by a tank that has homing or traverse turret farms, but with a bit skill and good reaction avoid the one single engi-ml that is built around the corner with your apc ...

the blinding effect you suggested is just annoying. it should also only work against homing weapons, like homing mls or turrets.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the blinding effect may be slightly annoying if done wrong, but if its short and powerful (like a 3 second full blind, and 2 second returning to normal phase, it should be fun and refreshing to see it used correct in battle

also 1 slot ml and be a part of the standard weapons

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

oh you meant to say as std weapon? i thought you meant by default. well then it should deffinately be useful, but i dont think its a good idea to let tanks run pass turret farms easier (or actually unhurt) then they can already ...
    in the end turretfarms are there to back up the frontline on chokepoint maps, on open maps this would work out better, there they are more area denial.
    i basically think it should be done to prevent the random ml-turret hit you didnt expect. if its for any other purpose im not agreeing to this (as if would matter)
    just mean to say that i doubt a positive effect on gameplay otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  17. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

They should not be standard but researchable. And a slow reload time will ensure that you get a slight better chance to pass the turret farm but not quite. The flare should only affect one of the missiles from the turret farm, not all of them.

Also, you can have a quick reload time but reduce the effectivity of the flare to say, 30% (?)... Then the chance of the missile hitting you is still high.

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Flares will bring in an onslaught of special tank upgrades. I still say that they're a good idea.

In any case, a flare should only save you from a random level 2 ML or worse. Possibly deflect one homing ML every 10 seconds. Can't imba NF vs BE.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

listen this will only work as an "unlocked" weapon from start, or MAYBE something every easy to unlock or else it will turn into gren upgrade v2 and depending on how fast it unlocks its ether researched ALWAYS or never, and most likely NEVER

should be unlocked on start, and take up "a" slot of some sorts and some size... anything else is debatable for me

also the homing break would possibly (in my opinion) work best as

fires straight up, after 1 second it bursts in white light blinding anyone too close while looking at it and any missiles close to it is now flying to the burst location

anyone blinded regains 1% vision after 3 seconds, full vision after a complete 5 (so another 2)

something like it...

maybe if this works out (if it gets implemented) it could open to some other new crap

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  20. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Yes to very easy to unlock.