emp_atomic, also chris0132's fabulous blog.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah but I'm sure I'm not the only one who just went for a walk on emp_king because it looks so damn beautiful

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Mootant likes whining incessantly because otherwise he has a limp dick.
    Well you can rape anyone who happens to be sitting directly next to you, but otherwise no, as the train is in a big trench so you can't actually do much while you're in there other than climb out of it at a different location from where you entered.

Looks more silly if I use the same layout for all four trains.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

fair point. I just had a thought a second that I would not want to be a passenger on that train :P

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how do the containers arrive in the storage part of the "station"

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

it's not really supposed to be hazardous transport or whatever, nor are the other ones supposed to be passenger cars, honestly they all look more like cargo cars than anything to me, tankers and boxcars, HL2 doesn't have any passenger car models, you have to build them out of brushes.

Wizards.

Honestly I was kinda just using them as storage crates, I couldn't be arsed actually working out a transport system to get them from the trains to the storage area without mucking up the room layout. I was thinking they would just be used as boxes, and stuff would be taken off the trains in smaller boxes and put into the crates, then the crates are stacked up, and taken down again when they need something from the top.

But canon wise the brenodi employ highly trained wizards to magic the crates off the trains and into the depot.

Or say they use a couple of forklifts or something I dunno.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

there is no way forklifts can carry that size of container and maneuvre that hallway, but yea its a small thing

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wizard forklifts.

8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

winning!

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Small update:

[​IMG]

These things are going to be taking up most of the space between the admin building and the power plant.

The catwalks in the middle do rotate and you can climb on them, although doing so is hazardous.

I'm probably going to add something to the central areas to make crossing the catwalks desirable, probably some sort of good bunker position or something you can shoot out of with an ammo crate in it.

But other than that they're big, they take up space but don't block line of sight, and they move, and make a noise too, also you can shoot people off the catwalks so they fall into a pit of toxic waste which is of course hilarious.

Edit:

Second update:

[​IMG]

Overview shot. The map is rapidly approaching completion. All of the major rooms are more or less entirely complete. All I need to do is fill in the space between, add in the optimisation and the empires specific entities. Oh and package it up for shipping, hopefully I can actually get the packing tools to work this time so i don't have to write another res file.

Also need to look up how to make a map specific particle manifest.

Fortunately I have a nice pristine steam release of empires to test it on, so I can make sure all the files work and whatnot before I ship it.

Hopefully it'll be done by monday.

Edit again:

Oh yeah I forgot, I changed the light colours in the train depot, was sick of yellow so now you have bluish green as well.

[​IMG]

Looks much nicer.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

looks good, im almost settled in my new computer desk and then il probably start mapping again too ^^

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm rather happy.

The map is starting to come together, I have about half of the map filled in completely.

[​IMG]

Lots of industrial crap for you to run around in and among.

Got the other side of the roof to fill in, got another area to fill with random crap, and got the optimisation to finish up and the flags to add, after that I can pack it up.

Oh yeah I also need to put the vehicles in, which means I need to read the wiki on vehicle spawners.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

looks good

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

if you use the vehicle spawner you are going to have to recompile the map every time the game is updated because the devs fuck up the fgd everytime

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why do I need to recompile it?

Unless they change the vehicle spawner entity every time, it will still have the same keyvalues and the game will still load it, the game doesn't use the FGD as far as I know, only hammer does.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

complete_ is just butthurt, ignore

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We changed the values in the vehicle spawner twice, and permanently broke every map that used it (caused them to crash on spawn) until they were recompiled. Empirescup only just got recompiled after nearly a year, and Fogtown is still broken.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a quick recompile fixes it, anyone who doesnt bother to include the vmf with the release is a copyright bully

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

I had no idea blizzerd was a dev. I think that explains alot.

Also noone includes the vmf because everyone doesn't know what the fuck to do with it.

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Delete it and use the space to host pictures of your cat

do we have to explain everything

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well the map only takes half an hour to compile so I'm sure I can manage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.