We missed Empires' 5th Birthday.

Discussion in 'General' started by Brutos, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Release of Empires 1.0 was on the 4th march 5 years ago. Happy Birthday I guess :)

Edit: If you count bf empires thats two more years. My mind is slightly blown.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

gratz to the "old lady" xP

3. Empty

Empty Member

Remember when I was a whiny teenager?
    And avair was around?
    And simon made an alt?

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Well , stupid fucking ass Steam couldn't release it on that special day.
    Best birthday gift , ever.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Valve are slow :P

Still, a late birthday present is as good as any. I'll be happy to see random people playing empires, and hopefully a new australian server.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i wish empires that your hopes are not too high empty - a filled euro server would be nice too, its a pita to play on viper ...

7. Empty

Empty Member

Oh please at least there's a stable Euro and a stable American server to play on.

I havent had a low ping game in months, let alone a low ping game against other aussies.

Every match I've had on CF has been 2 aussies vs 14 euros/americans and it's a boring as shit roflstomp.

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the problem is the difference between existing and populated. there might be a euro server, but with 0 players its not so much fun ...

9. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Empty, you need to talk to some Australian game mags if you want a realistic chance of getting enough people for a server down there. Steam release alone won't do it.

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You still are. :)

Anyway, let's keep this pile up and running for another year yeh!

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

FML, I was in high school when I found this shit and I'm still around :(

12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah I started playing the summer before uni. I think..... Now I'm fucking old and working at a supr serious job. At least I can still come here and be an immature fuckhead.

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

[change the name of the author above to almost anyone on the forums and you would have a true statement.]

People still say Empires is dying (pro tip: it's not), people still complain about stacking, and people are still coding for the mod. Except for someone emptying out our FPS bins, nothing has really changed.

14. Brutos

To be fair its dying since about 5 years.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Some noob thought it was a good idea to put a revive skill in. What'd you expect?

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

IMO it died when Krenzo left. No one has really had the time/effort to dedicate whats needed. Steam release will defiantly help but the engine/art is so past its prime now and really the game is just getting back to the level of playability we had in 2.12.

Its really too bad DICE never releases a proper set of dev tools. BF3 engine would be fucking epic for empires. All the netcode done well already for tanks/jets/infantry. Really only thing that would need is buildings and commander mode if you kept stock models. Ah well. Always NS2......

17. Brutos

Thats why what mootant is doing is the only sensible thing, even though its insane :D

18. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I like Empires, I have not liked or played an fps as much as I play Empires since BF1942 and it's mods. I think that Empires has a lot against it though. It's steep learning curve, the engine limitations, Source waining in popularity with developers as easier to use, and more cost effective engines come out, the closed community to some extent.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

In hindsight, the move to ep2 makes no sense, seeing as MOOtant is ready to chuck ep2 without Empires gaining much from it.

It all depends on where you see Empires going. Stabilizing and polishing the 2.x series is, in my opinion, the only reasonable thing to expect. Even if MOOtant's prototyping goes exceptionally well, it will take months if not years to implement, that's right, 2.12 on a different engine, all over again. Fast forward a year, assume that 2.12 exists on the MOOengine, and that MOOtant still has time to work on the mod. What's next?
    • Aircraft
      • How this will be balanced, or work without a redesign, I would really like to know.
    • Scaling to 120+ players
      • How would this work without redesigning most of the game from the ground up?
      • How would commanding this many players in the Empires environment even be possible?
      • How will this be practical without some kind of commercial promotion or sponsorship to boost the number of players?

20. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

with aircrafts, we could make new CV models, and make them similar to titans from BF2142. Where the CV would act like a floating command post. Maybe with some sort of turrets mounted on the command ship so it had some protection while aerial. It would make Hobbes sad(no more boomtanking), but it would provide CV with some mobility.