Empire's Weapon Scripting System

Discussion in 'Support' started by Comand'zorz' Asz, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

I was wondering about Empires weapon scripting system. Is it an old home-brew just for Empires or is it a sourcemod community asset originally developed for S-mod...or part of counterstrike, lol?

I'm just asking because I'd like to port the whole thing to garry's mod instead of approximating all the weapons with the standard Garry's mod LUA scripts. (I'm hoping to produce a few lame gm-based machinima's to promo empires/further train noobs.

If I dick around with source sdk a bit, find the assets, I may figure it out myself, better than all the time I spend in the CV...

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think they're made for Empires itself, as I've seen the excerpt from which they're parsed in the code, and it seems to be referencing to Empires stuff. But, I'm not a coder, so I wouldn't know. Although, I doubt you'll find much dicking about with source SDK when you don't actually have the source code.

3. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Just meant in terms of understanding valve's file structure...
    Basically I wanted to know (in terms of my goals) if I should study the Empires scripts/write a way to parse them or if I could just download something.
    Sounds like a waste of time but I play a lot of Empires and it's getting boring. Same 7 maps on Viper.. l

4. Empty

Empty Member

I've already made most of the weapons in gmod, the way I prefer them.
    The empires scripting system is terrible, it's unintuitive and hacky, if mootant would let me (and the scripters forgave me for ruining their work) I'd redo it from scratch, but that's a pipedream.

5. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

pipes (in most cases) lead to something you know......

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

aka Pipedream = Better mod?

7. [KM] The Corpse

[KM] The Corpse Member

This sounds like it has the potential to cause drama and strife within the Dev team, therefore as history has taught us it will probably result in a significant improvement to the game.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id advised this already a couple of times, its just too hackishly done

9. Comand'zorz' Asz

Comand'zorz' Asz Member

Anyway, thanks for answering that question. . .
    The system may be hackishly done, but it's not super hard to edit or a massive performance hog, is it? But if you did write a new system, Empty, and then hired some minions to program in the old values, I figured it'd end up being adopted. Not that I recommend spending 20 hours or more on a slim possibility of payoff.

10. Empty

Empty Member

If I did a new system weapons would have to be remade from scratch basically, I'd rip out the current system and make it all really simple multipliers.

We'd lose a bit of the finetuning in certain situations, but overall editing would be faster, easier and more intuitive. I'd also make recoil actually move your aim rather than shitty view punching.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'm not sure what that means.

Scripts=KV=values for weapons. Every weapon can be treated as a vector of 50-100 floating-point numbers.

Behavior of weapons is coded in C++ and it works fine. Even if it uses quite many parameters for all stances (in air, standing, crouching and prone)

If you want to rewrite Empires weapons in Lua/GM then you need KVs and C++ code.

Ugliest part of it all are parameters in KV files. They're not explained anywhere other than in C++ code.

12. Empty

Empty Member

The current system of recoil just moves your camera upwards then back down, it doesn't actually change where your bullets are headed. Take an NF heavy rifle and fire at max speed and you'll see the bullets fire below your crosshair when you're recoiling.

13. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

this mod needs some new pipedreams.....

14. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Steam? Bugfree? Modellers? Coders?
    Fill them up, then you can make up some pipedreams.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

not exactly, but close

the cross-hair is moved around as normal, but the actual view does not restore to nil as quick as the cross-hair kick does, hence why if you fire hmg standing you can see the bullets travelling under your cross-hair, but they do get the correct "kick" applied to some degree

also kick applies to the first bullet, being that the first bullet gets inaccuracy from its own recoil

the cross-hair inaccuracy gets applies to every next bullet, being the first bullet is the max accuracy you get, but adds inaccuracy to the next bullet in the form of cross-hair moving apart

this is contradicting and silly, weapon kick should just be visual only and not effect where bullets hit or where the cross-hair is

then a totally different setting can be used to determine if the cross-hair has to be moved up every shot or moved left etc, and widened and shrunk accordingly

also the shrinking of the cross-hair should not be done per second constantly, but per second while not firing (it says so in the scripts, but its actually not like that)

there where some other notes i had, some of them i cant be bothered to type out now this late, or i forgot atm, some of them got fixed on request already (like the problem with kick's 2 dimensions using the same random value, basically creating a line of kick in stead of a random pattern)

16. Empty

Empty Member

I barely understood half of that as much as I'd like, and I liked half of that half as much as I understand it.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Also, all of that shit is irrelevant, because I'm the one who actually has to use it :(

Seriously, it's very simple. This is all we need:

Damage
    Falloff
    Falloff Base
    Minimum Damage
    Cycle time
    Type of fire (Auto/semiauto/autoburst/semiautoburst)
    Accuracy upgrade modifier
    Melee possible
    Melee damage
    Melee cycle time
    Base cone
    Max cone
    Increment of cone per every second of firing
    Decrement of cone per every second of not firing
    Recoil pull direction (X & Y)
    Recoil pull max
    Recoil recovery rate per every second of not firing
    Kick pull direction (X&Y)
    Kick pull max
    Kick recovery rate per second of not firing
    Ironsight Spread modifier
    Ironsight Model kick

Replace "Jumping/Standing/Crouched/prone" modifiers on stuff with Jumping/Moving(Makes sprint/speedupg/normal/outofbreath run speed all give the same, makes anything in between whilst decelerating pick a value between this and standing)/standing/crouched/prone.

Most of this is already possible, although some isn't, and some is more complicated than necessary. As well as half of it not actually working. Btw, recoil I have as model recoil, kick is actual view/FoV kick.

18. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

^this.........

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

/|\ basically, like \|/

trickster has the most important stuff down pretty well

20. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Please tell me that although the value is for change per second, it updates much faster then that.