So I started to play dwarf fortress again.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -Mayama-, Feb 11, 2011.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

I have no idea what you're talking about.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Neither do I.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Worth it for the butterfly scene.

Urist McGuard: SHUT THE GATES. THE HOARD APPROACHES
    Urist McGatekeeper: THEY CANNOT SHUT SIR SOMETHING IS BLOCKING THE WAY
    Urist McGuard: EGADS MAN WHAT IS IT, WE HAVE NO TIME!
    Urist McGatekeeper: A BUTTERFLY CORPSE CAPTAIN.
    Urist McGuard cancels action Close the gates, too insane.

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

this game sounds as retarded as if someone made the web comic of gordon frohman into a video game

5. Empty

Empty Member

I'm going to ask you to leave this thread because you're obviously trying to troll, you made your comment about your dislike of the game several pages ago, there is no need to reiterate your opinion, you have no interest in the game as far as I can see, so you have no reason to keep posting here.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It is retarded, we are all aware of that, but it's also funny because of how retarded it is.

When a dwarf fails to complete his life's work because he absolutely NEEDS a turtle shell and CANNOT SUBSTITUTE IT becuase it NEEDS TO BE A TURTLE SHELL and subsequently goes completely insane and starts murdering everyone in sight with the adamantine armor and axe you gave him because he is also part of the fortress militia, and your only recourse is to activate the bulkhead doors you installed in case of plague outbreak or enemy invasion, and then to flood that entire section of the fort with lava in the hopes of killing the bastard before he breaks down the doors, that's funny.

It's amazingly annoying when it happens, but afterwards it's funny.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

nuff said

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The drama reminds me of Empires.

Still drilling through the tutorial, lol.

10. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

To this day I still cannot grasp the militia concept. Then again i never usually get that far as I aways end up magically tunneling into an underground lake and flood my fortress after the 1st migrant wave.

11. Zeke

Zeke Banned

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military
    http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Sparring
    http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Squads
    http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Scheduling
    http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Burrow

With that you know everything.

TLDR edition:

Set up a barrack and assign a squad to it.
    Set it so that they store their equipment and train in it.
    Assign equipment/uniforms to the squad (if you plan to train them, then use wooden weapons)
    Set up a schelude (if its training give a train order) and copy pasta it around the whole year for the active/training alert level.
    Set up a second alert level called "KILL SHIT!"
    make a burrow over the whole damn map and call it "WHOLE MAP"
    assign defend burrow orders (with WHOLE MAP as the choosen burrow, its green if selected) on the "KILL SHIT!" alert level.

then when in the main menu press s.
    then choose the squad
    then press t (i think) and switch the alert level mode.
    1st (default) for a squad is inactive
    2nd would be the train one
    3rd will be the new kill everything on the map alert level.

switch between thoose and gg.

thats the basics...
    then once you understand it you can start mixing orders so f.ex. some patroll area Y and some patroll area X and some poor bloke is stationary at position Z and 3 of them train constantly and 1 is always offduty... etc...
    AS ONE SINGLE ALERT LEVEL for a squad.

iow you can make far more complex shit later with the schelude system and have a WTF alert level which forces all civilians to move into a certain area while all military is gathered at a spot to prepare to fight a titan or other evil shit.

oh and if u select a squad in the s menu you can also specificly kill certain targets (like a angry dwarf) by pressing k and marking them.
    they will camp the corpse after the kill / if the enemy escape... so make sure u cancel the order later.

12. Cloud

Cloud Member

Bah, defending properly isn't Fun.
    Drafting all of your 65 dwarves into an emergency militia when a blind cave ogre, giant toad, giant rat and a forgotten beast decide to skullfuck you all at once is however Fun.

13. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Yes... its FUN :D

hahahahahaha

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  14. Cloud

Cloud Member

Seriously though, thanks. Now my fortresses may be able to survive for more than 10 years.

Edit: Wish DF would support multi threading, looks like i'll have to enable some sorta turbo to be able to play it on my newer laptop.

Edit2: Got turbo boost (yay...great name..) on my lappie now, which means i can play DF :V.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  15. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

With a capitalized F.

16. Zeke

Zeke Banned

dwarf fortress joke.
    You just dont get it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  17. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

ahh thanks Zeke that clears up alot for me. Now i just have to stop hitting underground lakes >.<

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

im doing an aquifer fortress now without using military dwarves or cage/weapon/stone traps, only siege weapons and megatraps ^^

19. Zeke

Zeke Banned

*necro due to extreme topic relevance*

Rightie... i recently reinstalled dwarf fortress since the current version got most bugs sorted (and is awesome as usual but also have some new cool features).

Buuuuut....

i need advice on how to tackle a fun "problem" of my current fort.

Now you need some info to "understand" the problem.

This is how it looked like when i embarked:
    [​IMG]

note: i decided to challenge myself and make a "floating/submerged fort" (iow no underground stuff except tunnels for minerals)
    and the world is custom... with more fun creatures and cooler+larger underground stuff.

Now you may notice that there is only 4 tiles which isn't a part of the ocean.
    And not only that but it has sparse tree ammount...
    iow: WOOD IS TREMENDOUSLY LIMITED.

second thing you may notice... Scorching.
    Any non-ocean water evaporate in seconds and dwarfs gotta drink all the damn time.

Third... Terrifying = undead animals, sea serpents, sea monsters, etc.

(mini goal: shallow pool with tamed sea serpents and monsters :D)

Fourth... lots and lots of water = plenty of big fishs like whales.

Whales got a body size of 20 million... just like the largest types of titans.

Undead whales = titan sized creature spawning in packs of 3-7 that can walk on land and swim.
    (great white sharks is just as fun)

Now the water goes down as deep as 26 levels... and the original land settling area 100% lacks metal.

The water areas got some metal though, but when it for example says "shallow metal", then it means there is ONE metal type at shallow depth.
    Shallow depth BELOW where the water ends.
    "deep metals" means there is more than one type but DEEP under the ocean bottom.

Translation: my ore is really freekin far down.

Now i spent one and a half year building and stuff before finding my first metal... Nickel.
    On the far western part of the map 47 levels down...
    Walking to the shoreline on the east side through straight tunnels takes a total of 237 steps...
    So walking there and getting a piece of nickel ore and walking back takes about 500 steps...

But ofcourse, nickel cant be used for anything but metal crafts and walls...

Before finding this piece of ore i had a nice little tunnel gridnet on the west side where i tried to scan for veins.

a bit deeper i later on found some silver too... but during all my searching i found a great lack of "common metals" so to speak.

Now i started to ponder... "does all sites always got metals available?"

one of the utilities in the "lazy newbie pack" (its made of win) was "prospector".
    so i read what it did and it lists all ores and gems on the map.

That utility became the answear to my question.

Result?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets overlook the situation:
    With the exception of the demon swarmed adamantite located at the bottom of the map I got NO metals for armour or edged weapons....
    I got NO metals at all for bolts (silver is like clay against the iron armour goblins wear and adamantite is like shooting super light toothpicks)
    and the only weapon i can conveniently make is hammers.

Armourless hammerdwarfs...? :|

"solution":
    Bone armour, melt goblin equipment and trade as much metal items as possible.
    (it's gonna be a bitch leveling an armoursmith)

ballista's doesn't even work as a temporary defense untill i got a operational military due to lack of logs...

Anyhow, this is where the "problem" begins.

No logs = no charcoal and no smelting and no smithing.

For granted magma becomes the obvious solution.

But how should i "use" the magma?

the magma lake is located over 130 levels down beneith the massive cave system. (which is customized to be very "open" with stone collumns here and there... i'ts like a mini-world down there)

"Luckily" for me i found a lava pipe connected to the underground world at "only" 97 depth.

Now the question is: How the fuck should i use the magma?

To just get to the bloody thing its a 300 step long tunnel trip.

I dont have experience with a ton of pumpstacks... but i can imagine that bringing the magma to the surface could cause some lag.
    and ontop of that as mentioned before, i lack wood... so pipes would be an absolute bitch to craft. not to mention all the mechanisms and power etc.
    long story short: it would be a big project to get the lava up.

Now thats one way of doing it... or i could just climb down into that god forsaken hole when i need to use metal... which will be pretty much all the time...

So what is you guys oppinion?
    pumpstacks?
    use magma directly at the source?
    or something else...?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  20. Kamber

Kamber Member

Been playing df on and off (mostly off) but I beleve that a magma piston is a good alternative to huge pump stacks. never tryed it myself but i have made a magma pump stack and it was a huge pain in the ass and required hundreds of logs.