Mappers, requesting models thread

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, Dec 13, 2010.

1. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

With the influx of new modelers were putting together a thread here for you mappers to request the kinds of models you want in your maps.

This isnt a spam "I want aircraft!" thread. This is a thread for generally simply geometry map props, basically stuff the modelers can take a break from doing complicated modeling job to make us a rock here and there.

I'll just quote the stuff I already listed here to stop duplicates.

Mostly we'll address requests that are fairly generic and can be used on more than one map easily.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Just a note, trees and foliage in general are very hard to do, and harder still to do well, it's very difficult to get the textures and to get anything approching visually appealing results, you need a lot of polygons.

Your best approach would be palms as suggested, redwoods or other extremely talll trees devoid of lower branches, don't ask for pines or conifers, things with bulky leafy lower sections, those require lots of work and polygons to get right, probably beyond the skill of most modellers, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Trees with no leaves would also be possible I imagine, although still a bit tricky to get convincing branch structures.

Be aware of that and plan your maps around it.

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I'd like to request that someone model a new Ammo box that isn't NF or BE specific, but can be universally identified and used for ammo. That way it could be used for ammo by both sides whenever, without having to link it to a flag. Of course it would have to animated like the other ones and it would need some code to let it be usable by both teams, but the model alone is enough to solve some problems.

It would be nice to get some nature props with accurate collision models too. Rocks with bad collision models are really fucking annoying.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

itd also be nice if the current rocks would get decent collision models.

5. Varbles

useful things would also be an empires themed watertower, empires themed railroad tracks, and some faction specific vehicle props (like a BE supply truck or an NF car)

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeh empires themed props would be awesome ...

7. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

So I made a crappy prop and got it into hammer, if anyone need any props I can hopefully help.

[​IMG]

8. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

So I'm working on some rocks, hope to release a pack of nature stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

shrubberies and trees

10. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I tried making a plant but it turns out looking bad, I took 2 planes and crossed them like an X and added $translucent to the .vmt, but the two planes just kinda...float together.
    Anyone know how to do this the right way?

[​IMG]

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

More planes.

Also look at the exisitng shrub props from HL2.

12. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Hard to see from your image but by 'float together' do you mean this:
    [​IMG]
    You should try $alphatest to fix the sorting issue, alphatest also lowers the alpha quality which is good in this case to get those crisp edges for your leaves. You should also 'grow' your edges on your texture, it will help hide those white borders that your transparency isn't hiding very well(xNormal comes with a dilation plugin for photoshop, pretty useful). Hope this helps, also I think blizzerd is right about it needing more translucent holes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Made some rocks a few days back when I saw this thread again, I know 2 isn't alot but I will make more when I get time (they're pretty quick to make).
    I might commit to svn eventually so that they're in future emp versions but for now, I'll just upload them for whoever wants to use them. I'm gonna be making more generic props in my spare time so if you want something specific post here i guess.
    DOWNLOAD

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I just wanted to make some rocks :/

Dunno but I think the random log always looked akward on slaughter because its so out of place. Maybee something different would fit better.

btw today on polycount news:

This script generates rocks, didnt try it out but it seems pretty nice.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/rock-generator

EDIT: watched the video, its really nice and you can mass produce rocks with it if you dont need some special shapes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

unwrap tool: http://www.unwrella.com/

EDIT: I higly recommend to learn zbrush and use it to make highpolys. Theirs a plugin that you can use to generate your lowpoly out of the higlpoly. So the lowpoly does not cost you any time and both high and low are far better than the 3dsmax/maya etc stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  15. Darg

Darg Member

16. Darg

Darg Member

17. Varbles

Unsticking unless any modeller wants to help. AFAIK Darg, Mayama, Smithy, and Mash are all gone/not bothered anymore

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Does anyone need badly done models, done by a n00b like me?

19. Varbles

You should be able to do simple rocks and trees using generators. IIRC a few of the trees we have were just done with 3DSmax's built in generator. If you need textures or materials or anything, I've got some that would work well.

20. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

I bet there are a few of us still around and willing to help out, but I feel I need more than just "MOAR RAWKS!" to get started.

A rough paint sketch or reference photo to hop us off should help.

Where are these props needed? Show us a screengrab off the map you are currently making to help us understand why and what is needed.

[​IMG]

Yes, that looks like shit and was five minutes of fucking about in Blender.
    I need context or making rocks feels so pointless.