Is there any interest in testing some new ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nickierv, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

For anyone intrested, I have finiehed updateing and fixing my experomental weapon scripts and am looking for some testers.
    These scripts are to test new ideas for weapons and to look for different ways to balance vehicle weapons and are not intended for the next update. For the most part, the current weapons are still present, but have been renamed and adjusted. Bio and plasma weapons have been temporarily removed for several rounds of testing.

The previous attempt at testing scripts had less than 8 people turn out over a week of testing, so this time I want to get a feeling for the interest in testing these scripts before I try to set a testing date.

I am looking for:
    Interest in testing: its not a commitment, just how many people are interested in seeing some new weapon ideas, seeing my scripts fail miserably (pickled...), or actually testing some of the items in the suggestion forum instead of just theory crafting.
    This is not a full test, this is mostly to see if people like how the weapons handle.
    -I have done some testing to make sure that weapon and armor work more or less as intended, but I need some feedback from other people on how the new weapons handle (easy to use, fun, wacky, completely OP, not working at all)
    I dont need a full server to test, 6 to 8 people should be able to give reasonable feedback, but the more the better.

Not to bore everyone with a wall of changes, here is the important concepts that I want to look at and possibly changed or add.

1. Sevaral people have noted the skill discrepancy between cannons and missiles, specificlaey homeing salvo. See http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=335190&postcount=13
    Skill to use cannons: aim, dont run into anything, dont hit the mines, account for weapon arc, target lead, weapon spread, and pray that your shot travles in more or less a straight line.
    Skill to use H-salvo: aim in genral direction, wait for tone, mouse_1

2. Rescale the damage so counters are easier to see, and remove the complex math from armor calculations (base 100 damage for cannons and missiles)
    - no more magic mystery modifiers, cannons and missiles have a base 100 damage, VMGs have similar damage to the other VMGs, but the damage/heat ratios are vastly different

Current system
    railguns do 50 damage per shot, speed of 3600. A heavy tank has 3 plates of reactive, how many hits will it take to take off all the plates
    For reference, 1 plate of reactive: Health = 65, Angle Modifier = 0.1, Speed To Damage Modifier = -0.004, Damage Modifier = 0.8

New system
    railguns do 60 damage per shot, +40% damage to heavy tanks. how much damage will each shot do?. A heavy tank has 4 plates of armor, how may hits to take off all the plates?
    For reference, 1 plate of armor: Hp = 100

Just from the standpoint of the amount of information that you need to know, the new system is a lot easier to use/ "noob friendly".

3. Remove a lot of heat.
    Most people agree that heat battles are rareley a good thing, but a mecanic is needed to prevent weapon spam. There are a few (I think 2) weapons that still have a "heat to target" > 0, giveing palyers much better controal on heat management.

4. Decreased refit/reload times. This was designed before the unlimited tank ammo change was added but it is still worth looking at as an alternative to unlimited ammo.
    30 second refit idea: It should not tank more than 30 seconds to get a fully depleted and almost dead tank out of the repair bay. Why? More time fighting, less time waiting for stuff to refill/repair.
    30 second reload time: Related to the 30 second refit idea, unless your weapon is empery, you will overheat before you run out of ammo if you are camping an ammo box. Why? More pewpew.

Summery of changes:
    Vehicle weapons are more accurate, do a higher % of damage (fewer shots to kill other tanks), and end game weapons (should) actually end the game instead of just overheating everything.
    Vehicle armors use proper resists instead of "magic modifiers"
    -Vehicle weapons should be more "noob friendly": everything you need to know should be on the weapons.
    A slightly different approach to medium/heavy tank balance: mediums are more of a hit and run, heavy tanks are a slow push. Both should be viable as weapons (ie be able to kill stuff).
    Research tree reworked to be more intuitive: look under the "cannons" research to upgrade cannons. Bio and plasma have been removed until other weapons are more ballanced.
    Buildings have been adjusted to use new resist system and have been tweaked to account for the higher damage, otherwise unchanged
    Vehicle engines have been changed a bit, they should not be underpwowered but may be overpowered in terms of horsepower
    Infantry have not been changed

Post any interest you have in possibly testing this and try to reserve judgement until after a test happens.

Server info- to come later

Its fine if you dont want to read the "why the changes" as it is a bit long, but it may give some insight as to why things where changed.

Attached Files:

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Whilst I'm always open to new ideas, I saw that you put all the armour together, and all the engines together, and all the weapons together in the last one you posted. I'm really against that personally and I think it's really bad. But some of the other simplicity changes could be interesting.

3. o_O

o_O Member

I'll help test.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ya it looks like he put them together but, only in the sense that they are in the same group. His research tree(not made yet) will use the new conditional research ability. So basically, when you look at the armor area, ya you will see all the armors but, they will be greyed out till you meet the other conditions to make them available. I am neutral to this idea. On one hand it will make finding what armor/engine/weapon you need faster, on the other hand, it may make things more confusing as now you have to go find the conditional stuff to open up the desired item.

As for removing the "magical modifiers" im for it.

Having this in the name in all weapons is nice to tell people what that weapons strong suit is.

5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't want to make what we have any more complicated so no to all.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

the mutant as spoken.

7. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

I want to test too, in case I can. (Really brutos, there was no need to move away my first post here :| )