art 2.0

Discussion in 'Art' started by blizzerd, Oct 26, 2010.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

the idea isn't that bad but i got three points to mention:

-its looks more like a fighter than a transporter

-it got too less points that catches the eye

(both points aren't that important)
    but here it is:

ITS F*CKING HUGE O.O
    i think its double the size of the nf one (if not triple)

why i know that?
    because whoever made the stingray left a human dummy hidden inside the plane :P

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i was never told the actual size of the stingray, i wanted to make thisone a bit bigger but only a marginal 10% i scaled the stingray on the size the stairladders on the side are

i can rescale it freely because no real determining parts of size have been added yet

atm its 38 m long and 40 m wide

im planning on rescaling it to 28 meters long and 29 meters wide (the vulcan bomber dimentions)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Size is fine. It might look big, but it isn't. It's about the same size as the NF vehicles. Aircraft are generally quite large in Empires.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

blizzerds? vehicle factory u mean. no offense blizzerd, ive read that you scale it ...

5. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

That thing is huge.... if this were CS 1.5 that would be a map not a model....

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  7. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

tl;dr

The BE transport is the one finished BE model IIRC; you can see it used on arid where it's crashed outside the NF base, unless it's been removed since I last played.

8. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

People do realize that this game is science fiction. In scifi proportions don't matter you can always make up some crazy ass techno babble to back up anything of any size, with any type of propulsion . Also can't models be scaled in engine?

9. Empty

Empty Member

Nobody wants to use it because it's fugly and small.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Just make the wings normal looking. I think it's only big because the wings are huge, and also there aren't much planes that look like massive paper airplanes.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Realistically you don't need wings at all unless you're going to be flying forward really fast.

Otherwise you can just rotate the engines down a bit to give you lift at the expense of a bit of speed.

It'd probably be more practical without the wings because you couldn't land this anywhere other than in the middle of a field.

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

And with that, they will look like shit and noone will want to look at them. Just because it's scifi doesn't mean you can break common sense... If you have a VTOL aircraft...it's going to hover, and if it hovers, you want to have as slim of a horizantal profile as possible...For the same reason you lay down when getting shot at, you are harder to hit.

Look at the BF2142 aircraft:

[​IMG]

Totally scifi but has a slim profile

13. Trickster

Note that whilst wings aren't necessary, they look better and they're good for arming stuff on.

It's taken from another game according to eth0, not empires.

The NF aircraft.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this thing has wings since its a transporter... wings are economical to glide on... even if they are less then ideal to glide since they are a compromise on stability, cargo space and fuel space

the wings are designed big to make the craft look far more rugged and stable since the engines needed that to look anything but viable

don't get me wrong i can make them half as thick as they are now safely, but il lose some of the BE feel and halving them is somewhat the visual limit before it looks retarded

also this is not a combat unit like the bf2142 vtol, this is a transporter, and for all its worth it should not be under enemy fire at all or something is wrong

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Except that it isn't a transport, it's a giant helicopter that drops tanks into the middle of combat, or close to combat, and it is going to get shot at and it is going to need to fit in small spaces.

So it shouldn't be built like a cruise ship.

16. Trickster

Not entirely true seeing as we're using 8x scaling. There'll be a lot of space.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Urgh.

8x scaling would completely remove any use for infantry and proabably tanks as well.

2x scaling MAYBE, nothing more unless you just want to have an aircraft fight.

Even disregarding that, it's going to be a pain in the ass working with these things around, they're so huge that they'll get shot down by everything under the sun, and block line of fire for everything else. Remember that the horizontal size of an aircraft determines how easy it is to shoot from the ground.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  18. Trickster

Whilst I personally think 4x scaling would be appropriate, MOOtant insists on 8x and he probably knows best. 4x scaling means 16x bigger maps. Or more specifically, a fairly large border that only aircraft can fly in and a nice amount of vertical room.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what happens if you exit the aircraft inside that only air can pass borders?

20. Empty

Empty Member

Who says you can get out of aircraft unless you land.