New Game Type?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Broccoli, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

One problem: not many broken vehicle models. It would be nice to have some more civilian props to fill out the back-story with.

Any other preferences from the community? I think forests have been turning up top in recent polls, but I think that's beyond my ability. I could quite easily do duststorm-style, or add some rocks and leave it grassy. Or another snow map?

Any requests for layout changes? I haven't actually played this map in a game environment yet.

2. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Make the flags on the sides more of 'bases' with a few walls, crates, ect. The two closest to the NF should be NF style and the ones clsoe to BE should be, well... BE-ish. It could add to the backstory where each side is trying to capture supply depots to survive the harsh northern winter? If you decide to go with this, add some patches of snow as if it was just starting to turn fall and there was some very light snow, but an indication of the weather to come. You'd have to add lots of crates and barrels and the like to each flag, but only make low walls for the side bases. also, is it possible to make laddars into engineer buildable entities? That way the bunkers could come with a laddar to get ontop more easily.

P.S: Hope my endorsement will do some good for this map.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  3. jambo

jambo Member

heh cool , is a bit like star wars battlefront
    i think having district modified to be more like this game type
    - but i still love a good turret spamming stand off. so don't change is plz

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I'm afraid building ladders is impossible afaik. I could do some experiments, but I can't promise anything. (EDIT: I lie. It's completely possible, and quite simple really. Ladders will therefore be featuring).

As for the fall idea, I like it. I'll mess about getting some light snow in, and maybe add a custom skybox now that I know how to do that.

Thanks to the onKill output Krenzo told me about, I can now also make fully-functioning upgradeable structures. So, the bunkers could have several levels of construction. This is something which I will definately be trying out.

As for the barrels and crates, rather annoyingly the models do not have any physics meshes, so I've been making them out of solid brushes. Does anyone have any solutions to this? Otherwise, you can walk straight through (or hide in) the crates, and even with my hack the collisions are not all that accurate.

Thanks for the endorsement btw Destroyer, appreciate it.

EDIT: Hey jambo, you like lost too? I'm addicted lol.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  5. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Well, it wouldn't make the collisions any more accurate, but you could make a phys brush in the general shape of the object, set it as nodraw, and parent the model to it so that it at least looks right.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Very handy. Although people wouldn't actually leave footprints or tank tracks. I'll look into it.

I'm having a bit of bother with snow at the moment. Using env_embers is impossible, as it doesn't fade out at a distance. env_dustmotes is the best option, but I need an env_wind to blow it directly down. At the moment, my env_wind seems to be ignoring any pitch I give it, thus the snow is blowing sideways.

On the plus side, the upgradeable bunkers are working a treat. L1 is just a simple low barrier. L2 is the same as exists currently (with a roof) and L3 is a full tower with space for turrets on top (like cyclopean) and possibly an interior with resupply crates. Turrets will float in the air if the tower is destroyed though, so I might do some experiments with trigger_hurting them.

What kind of junk to be people want to see around? I can add some rocks or broken tanks and things (where are the models for those?) And some low walls and crates and barrels around the bunkers.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The broken BE med tank and NF jeep are in the folders of their non-broken ones.

9. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Good work broccoli! I absolutely LOVE the idea of upgradeable bunkers! One question though, how high are the turret platforms? You know how turrets have a hard time targeting, let alone hitting, someone at an angle up or down from the turret.

Debris-wise, a little destroyed town in the middle flag would be nice. Nothing radical, just a few walls with a window left and such that could be easily done with some brushwork. E.G: (a few of these scattered around)

Code:

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, I was worried about the turrets too. They're not that high, but I haven't tested them yet. They will definately not be able to hit targets that are right next to the tower, which is a reasonablke weakness I think. I have yet to make sure that L1's aren't useless up there though.

Something in the centre area would be good, although I'm really not very good at making ruined buildings. I'll give it my best shot though.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this looks really good. keep it in the same scenario if you can, please. the destroyed village in the middle will be WIN also.

when Episode 2 comes along, you can add a load of foliage.

Edit: after re-reading the way the game is played, I'm REALLY excited. :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  12. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Woo! I might have saved a map! I feel fulfilled now...

Broccoli, you just need to have a simple wall with a few jagged edges sticking out, and then place a few variations around the middle flag. Maybe half a roof with part of the wood framing sticking out past the shingles. Think ravenholm to a point, with the burned theme going on at some of the buildings.

Sort of like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I've made an attempt at some ruins. NF have a small building at the west CP, and BE have a parallel one at the east CP. There is also a building surrounding the central res node. They are just broken walls atm, with no roofs or anything. There is room for expansion though.

The snow problem is still there, so I'm looking to use something else to generate the particles (env_wind just refuses to blow downwards). In the current version, the snow kinda drifts sideways, mostly hanging way up in the sky. It's not very visible at times, but it shouldn't really make any noticeable impact on fps.

Fog distance has been reduced, and the colour changed to a dark blue. The skybox has been changed to match. As it is, the ground is still mainly grass, with only a few patches of frost (mainly on top of the hills). The frost is slippery however, so watch your steering whilst you're driving over it.

I'll be releasing the next version tommorow morning. You guys are gonna love the new bunkers. At least, I hope you are :D They are great for protecting the comm vehicles (although there's no way out once you're built in). They're also practically inpenetrable from a distance, particularly if the shield is up. I think adding resupply points may well over-power them.

UPDATE: Here's the new version (rc2). There are a couple of know issues, like the sideways snow and some dodgy skybox areas. There are a few more changes I'd like to make before the final version anyway (loose rubble/bricks and things, maybe a few more rocks around). Oh, and some areas need flattening to expand building opportunities. The name will also be changing in the final version (tictactoe was just temporary, and it sounds too lame for a serious map). If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Something to do with the approaching winter would be good. Oh, and I need to re-write the briefing page to explain the backstory. Should I keep the gameplay explanation? It takes up a lot of space, and I suspect new players will not read it anyway.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

15. supaste

supaste Member

i cant download it

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Hmmm, lots of people seem to be having problems with RarHost. Here's a mirror.

Dafleck sent me some wreckage models which I haven't tried out yet, but I'd love to put them in somewhere. I'm thinking maybe as obstacles around the sides which don't have ruins, but trying not to use up too much building space. Oh, and in the crater.

17. Edgar

Edgar Member

You can also download it here

18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Wish I had time to download it... The sound of those new bunkers is KILLING me from the inside out. Alien v. Predator style. Once I try it out, I'll probably have a few suggestions.

19. supaste

supaste Member

i dont think iv set up my matirials right... all i get is pink and black checkers....

some 1 tell me where to put these files!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  20. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I'm not able to use my own computer at the moment, so I can't verify this, but did you put the two res files in the Empires/Materials/Maps directory? Plus there's a .txt file you have to place somewhere if I remember right.