2.28 released

Discussion in 'News' started by MOOtant, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

ok
    ill do that next time this happens.

One thing I just remembered while reading another thread, although you probably already know this MOOtant, is that res flow is all messed up, when a losing team has 13000 res somethings up.

2. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

HMG needs a huge buff trickster, it's not even close to all other weapons, you've to keep hitting enemys at mid to close range about 2-3s until they die,
    compared with long range weapons which kill in under 1s at any distance HMG seems like a bad joke now, using an BEHR is far more efficent f.e.
    (needs more acc, less falloff, and FAAAR more dmg)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  3. PintSki

PintSki Member

getting worse with every release

did the weight of the railgun go down ? since 15 clips aren't as heavy as 40...

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It has unlimited ammo though (Rail Gun).

And yeah, HMG probably does need a buff. It was even worse before MOOtant forced me to buff it, maybe I take my hate with the HMG a bit personally. But I do really, really fucking hate it. I'm going to make it more usable whilst standing and crouched, maybe push the damage up a bit, or at least the falloff.

Also, post weapon feedback in SIP's 2.28 combat thread.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

buff it with phys push. Just to piss people off :D

6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Well even though you personally hate it, atm its completly useless, a small buff won't change that, it's a HMG but feels like a toygun ... and that only when laying down...

7. FN198

FN198 Member

give the hmg a gaussian quality. while capping the max damage, give it an increased damage per shot over longer ranges

it is a support/suppressive weapon anyways

EDIT: genius idea, make it deal slight but not unconcussive camera shakes on area effect by bullet impact

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I got tired of trying to make SSE1 client work when we're linking against 10 libraries all that have to be manually checked or tested using client.dll on someone else's computer. Shader models are far easier to use and test than CPU instructions sets. If someone gives me a tool that walks over assembly code and verifies if intructions used match specific CPU profile I'll use it.

That means that processors before Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 are not supported.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

how much of a speed boost does the code get using sse2 over 1? Not advocating anything, just wondering. I have read some articles saying that hand crafted code can reach the same speed as sse instructions.

10. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

You mean hand crafted empires code, ... even if it could it still would use more CPU cache afaik...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  11. ViroMan

Thats probably true but, there is always a trade off. I have however seen example codes that use function pointers to route your instructions to what ever your cpu can do. MMX, SSE1, and up. The downside is that there is always a lookup for the functions address location each time to get to the required location.

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

x86 CPUs have very complicated jump/branch prediction machinery so it's not a problem, especially if you keep it in cache.

There were some performance gains on the server (I don't remember exact numbers) and recompiling all our libraries is huge pain in the ass.

If other coders (Brutos/Beerdude) have time for it then great.

13. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

14. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

Bad research/bad team/no one buying tanks.

15. Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan

Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan Member

Slight glitch:

Occasionally in spectator, the "location" comes up as "@0." Needless to say, the location shouldn't be coming up at all. If I get the chance, I'll investigate the circumstances by which this to occur, but I know it's not just switching from a team to spec; it comes up when someone joins spec at the beginning of a game, even before the map starts.

16. ViroMan

not just as spectator. I get that when im in com some times. They are yelling at me to drop a ref on there location and im screaming tell me where you are your fucking locator is broken.

17. War Man

War Man Member

Like the new Assault Rifle, thought the carbine was meh in 2.25(last time I played empires before 2.28) glad you replaced it although I think it should have a mag capacity of 25 as 20 is too few. I miss the machine pistol though. Anyway could the new Brenodi pistol be renamed to Heavy Pistol and you can have Pistol 1 as just Pistol or Brenodi Pistol? Think it would work better.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  18. Michael

Michael Member

Since I started playing Empires from 2.24d I can only guess about the 2.12, what everyone mention many times, but the infantry weapon change, based on that is awesome, I totally agree with it, support it etc. (Saying it as a 'better than average' rifleman.)
    Keep up the good work, beacuse that's the only reason I spend some freetime for the Northern Faction! :rolleyes:

19. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I think it happens when you move outside the map grid (below 1 is 0 and left of A is @ which comes before A in ASCII)

20. Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan

Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan Member

Except it happens when you're first-person spec'ing someone, or in free-chase cam, or otherwise inside the map. Give people a little credit that they're not outside the skybox and saying "SPECTATOR AM BROKEN!"