2.28 released

Discussion in 'News' started by MOOtant, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Mkvenner, we tried doing different stuff with the scout rifle already. Too many animation problems due to the way that it was done. Even getting it to not unscope after firing was riddled with difficult to fix bugs. But overall, I'm glad people like the release. Hopefully we can build on it and keep improving things.

I think the best thing about this release so far is simply that there's nothing hugely game breaking to fix, when normally we've had something gamebreakingly unfun in every single release I've ever played, including 2.12.

2.12 had the rails/nukes situation, as well as the exploits.
    2.2 had a tonne of stuff, including the earliest version of those weapon scripts before they were HEAVILY improved in 2.21 (about a month later)
    2.21 I can't actually remember, but it still had problems from 2.2.
    2.22 had the dual small arty problem (back then artillery tanks had tonnes of armour too, you could basically rush with them and end a game using it as an LT)
    2.23 had the rape carbine, as well as really strong tank armours making RPG useless
    2.24d was just horrendously imbalanced towards physics.
    2.25 was a step in the right direction actually. There weren't that many problems with it, although it was the first particle revision, so there were some bad FPS problems.
    2.26 and 2.27 both had the minimap issue.

Now, for the first time in a while, rather than having to do a load of bug fixing and feature fixing for the next release, new stuff can actually be added to the game, it can actually be developed, rather than fixed, which I think is a nice feeling for everyone, players and developers alike.

No-one has at any point missed you in the slightest, and that isn't going to change.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You can sneak. Infantry doesn't autospot you. Major buildings (barracks, radar...) do within 1000 units from them. That's 10-20m.

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

MOOtant:

Maybe you want to explain this a little bit more:
    + Changed automatic visibility on minimap:
    - infantry spots enemies within 5000 inches
    - infantry doesn't spot other infantry
    - buildings spot infantry within 1000 inches
    - buildings spot other enemies within 5000 inches (small buildings like MG turret don't spot)

My question is, what do you mean with enemies? Vehicles? Buildings?
    Does infantry in vehicles count as infantry or not?

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Non-infantry.

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you missed dropping mines and building barracks in com view, as well as the impulse 101 giving you 20 health :D

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Trickster, mootant had been talking about readding 9 mine for longer than 2 weeks but he wasn't going to add it. That's where my bitching comes in, also I told him to speed up the RPG.

I realize the damage to the rifles will not change, that's why I suggested players move faster and things like the gren being able to reload while shell is in flight. Parts of the game need to speed up if you are going to die much faster.

7. Omneh

Omneh Member

The scout rifle is fine.

With it, the scout becomes almost as effective at killing people as the rifleman, and is capable of helping the team far more than the rifleman with sabotage and other abilities.

Even if you do get killed by a sniper scout, its hardly a problem as he can't kill things anywhere near as fast as the roffleman (neccessitating the scout to pick his targets for maximum effect instead of mowing everything the fuck down) and you respawn ten seconds later anyway.

Hide is fairly bullshit though, and its long past the time it was removed. The radar stealth skill could be improved to compensate for the loss of hide by preventing turrets from locking onto players, keeping part of the functionality of hide while also removing the neccessity for players to VERRRY SLOOWWWLY and usually unsuccessfully approach turrets.

I also agree with all of Trickster's points about it.

8. FN198

FN198 Member

2.26-2.28 are in the anti-commander direction.

that being said,
    empires is playable again

9. QMAN

QMAN Member

+ CV armor 250 -> 200, hull 2000 -> 1000...

that not sounds good especialy on enabled "9 mine"

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

did you forget how much the cv health was buffed?

11. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

i was using the BE cv to diffuse a mine field earlier ... must have run over at least 10, knocked off 2-3 plates and overheated a bit (lot)

must have a high mine resist

12. Trickster

Oh, so you're the fag who made me get nagged to speed up the RPG. I'll give you the fact that the RPG speed increase is probably as a result of you.

Every time someone relates 9mine to command vehicles, I lose just that little bit more faith in the human race.

Also, hide is being reworked by Beerdude. It should be more Neotokyo/Crysis style soon. Adding another skill to let scout be ignored by turrets is a good idea though, I'll note that down.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hmm...well in case you've forgotten, a lot of people wrong whole threads on hide being visual and radar stealth meaning non-targeted by radars, cameras, possibly spot, targets (defunct) and of course Turrets!

Hide is for people to hide from other people, but without all the benefits of an radar-jamming cloak. Radar stealth is just that, and makes the player untarget-able with electronics, and also allows that to be the case while sprinting into bases and running around generally.

Also while driving a vehicle, although that's debatable, and you could always add vehicle stealth to vehicle speed in one neat package.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Make it all one skill called stealth. take out the other skills. Scout is now useful from the game start and can grab other skills to make him more useful, like speed upgrade and melee upgrade. He becomes an epic recon flanking meleeing bitch.

Try it. I bet it would make scout both NOT suck, and make him NOT hide on a hill with a rifle. he'd be much more effective running up to turrets and sabbing them or meleeing people from behind.

Currently his skills that are useful are spread out among so many of them (silencer, radar stealth, hide, vehicle speed) that you'd need to have 40 points for the scout to be able to do anything. To be useful at what he should be doing, he needs to be faster. This is solved by bundling those 4 skills into one (stealth), which allows him to get skills like speed upgrade and melee upgrade at a reasonable time when his tactics will help the team.

Seriously, do it. You won't be disappointed. Also, his stealth no longer goes 100% so it shouldn't be an issue in such a case.

15. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Fucking Downloaded!

[​IMG]

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I also agree with Metal Smith :)

17. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

100% agreed, ppl who bitch about the scout rifle now, don't do it because the scout would be useless anymore but because they getting killed by it, a lot which is ofc utmost annoying, espacially after the pistol buff the sniper rifle isnt that bad of a choice anymore ... but with the new infantry system countering them shouldn't be too hard,
    btw building's range to spot infantry is ridiculously high, which nerfs the scout alot ... I used to love commander targets, sooo please readd? :(

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  18. Trickster

It's only 1000 units. I don't personally like it, but I mean, from the centre of the building, it's the length of a rax as the radius. Not that much really, even if it's still autospotting which I hate.

19. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah autospotting will always be lame, until there's something a player needs to do first, like i dunno, build a

camera.

last few pages no one has mentioned the ungodly lag. Duststorm 2 days ago with BE nuke heavies and NF UML heavies, no more than 10 per side, with some other vehicles thrown in there, had people saying they were getting 3 fps.

a lotta people, like half a dozen.

I was getting 3 fps too, it was a slideshow. I know you guys hate us wooden computer types, but that was 6 or so players on duststorm - not the most lag-prone map.

plz think of the poor wooden computers.
    wishlist for future: options for particles built right in to the options menu.

and yes please do something with the mortar, rifles are 3 second rape atm.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

In such situations you should record a demo and send it to us. Also run that demo with sv_cheats 1, +showbudget and tell us which bar is biggest.