2.28 released

Discussion in 'News' started by MOOtant, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan

Dr. Baron von Evil-Satan Member

This. Love the idea of an inf speed boost. I can reload my mortar while it's in flight; that's a weird bug I think.

On the NFHR being OP, I agree to an extent. I'd need to see it in some different situations. An easy little fix would be to give HRs (or all riflemen if that's not possible) an extra susceptibility to the scout rifle so they have an achilles heel.

Also, I like the new targeting system as far as being in range of buildings revealing inf. I think that could be expanded upon to give the com the ability to carat those enemies while they're in that range, or maybe out to 750-1000 units before the carats disappear. So inf in your immediate base are "targetable," while the enemies out in the field are not. They would also have to be in CLOSE proximity to a building in order to be targeted in the first place.

2. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

honestly I think I'd rather have the mortar buffed to its old rapeage than change the current rifles, well maybe a slight nerf to the rifles but the games tonight were a blast even playing gren(the riflewhores were annoying though). Overall the gameplay was good in my opinion, there had just been a steady stream of nerfing dmg until engy was the rape of choice most the time, I just think gren mortar needs its deadlyness upped a few notches again.

3. SupRore

SupRore Banned

this is shit. Faster pace combat = more focus on combat, without combat being any BETTER.

So now we have to deal with more shitty empires combat and have less access to the squad and strategic parts that actually make the game enjoyable.

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

yes this exactly

also, the new NF heavy rifle has embodied the insane fears people had for the scout rifle being powerful

5. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

If you're having a problem with rifles, Take a rifle with you.

You know, in a squad.

For teamwork.

Also, my gun is back. <3

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't know what he listened to you on. He said he was re-adding 9mine like 2 weeks ago.

For the record, I still prefer targets any day, even over the new system, for the simple reason that I'm getting bored shitless as commander, with literally fuck all to do. As you said, I might as well be a "field commander". Having said that, it's still probably better for newer commanders. If I could have targets back, I would. But I can admit there would be better systems. The new spotting ranges were agreed between MOOtant and I as a sort of compromise. It's not going to stay like this permanently though, it will change.

As for the weaponry, I'm going to agree with Keef. The new weapons I do prefer (well obviously, I made them), but I would still like to buff mortar further, but I don't feel damage is the way to go. I would prefer to allow reloading after firing like Dubee said (I'll put this in a dev wishlist for the next patch), or have a modeler (if we can find one capable) recompile the reload animation, only dropping it to 1.5-2 seconds, from 3 seconds before.

Also, as I said, this is the first open tryout of the new weapons. Remember where we were in 2.25 (the last major change of the last weapon set), and where we started in 2.2. They were very different playstyles, but they both originated from the same spot. This is the first tryout, these are the 2.2 weapons of the new set. It's going to take a while to streamline them. I knew I'd upset some Grens in the process, but I can't buff the mortar (besides damage) without some extra code support, and we really wanted to get 2.28 out. I'll work on ways to make it better for the next patch, but I just don't feel giving it a ridiculous amount of damage is the way to do that, as it just makes the best Grens better and doesn't help people learning it. The quicker reload time would help.

Also, I want you to consider the last few things:

1) You get your skills at 0, 10, 20 and 30 now (since 2.26). Rifleman are getting HP upgrade by 10 points, meaning they can sit out the 120 damage from the mortar and live with 10hp. I will try my best to find a way around this, ideally setting skills to 0, 15, 30 and 45, for the next release. Or setting mortar to do 130 damage, but I'd rather not.

2) Damage upgrade is 25% since 2.26. I was meant to revert it to 10% for this patch, but I completely forget. That's pushing some of the rifles past the 50 damage mark and further, making them horrendously overpowered. This will be fixed within a few hours of this post on EPIC EU MAIN, and VIPER, as well as me PMing any other server owners. It'll be back to 10% by the next release.

EPIC EU Main and VIPER have both been hotfixed with the rifleman damage increase change. It'll do 10% now, not 25%. Thanks go to Youzy for pointing it out to me in the first place. I'll try to get other servers fixed when I get back from Holland. If anyone can PM the other server owners (420, MEG etc) to re-read the first post in this thread and install the server hotfixes, please say you told them here.

7. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

so whats changed ... hmm, you copt/paste'd weapon scripts from 0.8 ... ok

so riflemen are insanely powerful, for anyone who says "qq nfhr is OP" try using any of the other riflemen weapons for both factions (except the mg, i haven't tried it)

also wtf is up with buffing the scout rifle!? the 2.24 scout rifle scripts were more balenced, so if you have idiots on your team thinking "hurrdurr i'm a sniper, just like CS:S" they do shit and with luck learn that that is not how you play this game. Instead by buffing the scout rifle you now encourage the n00bs not to learn how to play

only thing i can complain about is it gives people more of an incentive not to play as engineers, because now (as before) they are weaker compared to the other classes

are you stupid? have you even played this game? wtf do you think speed upgrade is for, or hell even sprint!?

remove buildings being able to spot, this is just because the best use of 9 mines was to destroy clusters of buildings, its easier than trying to kill a cv
    nerf the scout a bit (40 damage maybe)
    the squads thing, i understand why its there, but ... feels less fun
    i'm glad you fixed the CV health, whoever re-wrote the scripts for that was an idiot and loved to boomtank

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Trickster:
    You had the chance to finally remove the scout rifle but instead of this it received a buff. :( (disappointed)

Shotgun with HMG as model or a buffed scout-smg2 would be the solution.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. Trickster

If I had removed the scout rifle, it's more than likely I wouldn't have been able to get the scripts in. It should either be in the game and useful, or removed. Putting it in and keeping it as useless is just a giant noob trap. And with the planned change to hide coming up (Hide using your stamina bar rather than just going prone), it'll be less problem. Also, Blizzerd tried using the HMGs as a shotgun. It looked fucking terrible. The only weapon that can just about look like a shotgun, is the BEHR (Drum mag rifle).

Also, the way I did it as, I started at 2.12 in revision 0. Then I worked through revision after revision to adapt them to the new engine and change them, until now they're pretty much nothing like 2.12 in terms of the scripts themselves. I ended it on revision 12, so I mean, 13 different versions of these scripts were done, and I'm sure there's going to be many more to come.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

When Scout cloaking is in, it should just be removed or the anims and model changed into a "carbine" like an M1

11. Trickster

I honestly feel that most of the problems with the scout rifle stem from hide. In Bad Company 2, the Sniper rifles (besides the fucking Gol Magnum which can suck my fucking dick for being such a fucking gay rife) are generally fair and balanced. BC2 doesn't have prone, and the rifle bullets actually leave quite small contrails behind them (thin, but visible). On top of that, the sounds are pretty distinctive when the rifle shoots. So when you add all that together, it's not so bad. How could we replicate this?

Make the sound loud.
    Give it a nice visible tracer.
    Hell, even consider having it light up the user on the minimap if he's within a certain range or something, who knows.

I don't like the way it works, but I also don't think making it an NFHR clone is entirey the way forward. I also think that removing content, whilst a viable solution, is still too much of an easy option when there are certainly things we can at least try, to make it fair. Most games have a scoped rifle and we'd seem pretty weird not to have one.

12. gezor

gezor Member

signed

and the sniper rifle buff is %#ยง!&#
    JUST REMOVE THE DAMN RIFLE ARGHAGHSGHSD
    all vets are complaining about the useless sniper scouts, no1 likes them, no1 plays sniper except the newbs ...

13. Trickster

Just something to throw in here: Remember that in 2.12, the scout with scout rifle was the default class. It's now engineer. So now when people just press accept to get ingame (which they do a lot), they end up as engineer, rather than scout with scout rifle.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

True, but my issue lies with the rifle being overpowered as a primary weapon: Empires maps are very open due to engine (map) limitations, and thus powerful long-range scoped weapons would prevent people from getting close to each other until they get tanks (after which the sniper is killed either in close combat or by a tank).

Reducing the power seems equally worse, nerfing a weapon that is good at long range to prevent disruption of game flow. You then end up with a weapon that is not good at what it does, which is exactly why it doesn't disrupt normal infantry combat.

I thought of changing the weapon to a scoped semi-automatic (think NF HR but far less powerful) that is good at harassing enemies from afar, but works better at medium distances while flanking (or getting behind) the enemy. This way, you don't get the very annoying 2-shot kills from miles away, but your health will be nibbled away somewhat. As both parties get closer to each other, the rifle's damage increases more and more as well as its accuracy (well it's scoped after all).

15. Trickster

I can't really comment on if it's overpowered or not yet because I haven't had chance to play 2.28, I'm in Cloggyland atm.

16. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Sure? I guess that after some weeks nobody will miss the scoped rifle. And if new players only join Empires to kill enemies with a scoped rifle then they are definitely playing the wrong game.

To bad that I haven't made a screenshot of the two newbies, which were lying at the entrance of their own barracks. Both of course scouts+hide+scoped rifle.
    Normally I put a wall in front of such players so that they must stand up and rush a little towards the enemy.

17. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Hence, why uninstalling is finally a good option.

18. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

i would like to test the following for scouts

replace the scout rifle scripts with the 2.27 BEAC scripts, keep the scope tho, just so its different, but leave the accuracy the same etc. This way it keep the scout useful, without having a QQ OP or useless sniper rifle in the game :) i know this was talked about a year ago, but its got to be worth a try

also another thing
    atm for a scout, hide = hidden on minimap & hidden from visible sight
    so how about, normal scout = hidden on minimap except from enhanced senses or if they fire (left mouse, so not melee), hide = as above

19. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

The sounds like every round on Empires since 2005 or something. Now that the scout rifle does more damage, nothing has changed except the fact that new players will atleast kill something with the scout rifle which is better than having them snipe people from miles away without knowing that it does nearly no damage at all.

I find scout rifle not as annoying when it actually does something.

But wouldn't mind if it was removed, because I don't use it myself, though.

But I find 2.28 a lot more enjoyable game experience than any other OB-release so far.

20. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

QFT - i actually almost flipped a comm into the water already. well he was panicing so much he drove into it himself.
    even better lulz ^^