cl_interp_ratio & cl_predict

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sprayer2708, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

I got the problem that my Vehicle MGs never hit where they seem to. FINALLY after I stated this a billion times, mootant answhered me it could be because those two values might be changed in my config. so what do these values do and what is their default?
    I cant remember having changed anything in my config but keybinds, also some others answered ingame to have same problem.
    Might those values also change the behaviour of grenades i throw?

2. Empty

Empty Member

Default is 2 on interp_ratio dont know about predict.
    Lower ratio means your projectile weapons fire closer to when you click but are less lag compensated, it also affects your bullets to a lesser extent.

3. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

i just searched my config, i cant find any entries interp ratio or predict, shall i add them?

4. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

So I just added some variable missing and filled them with values from this page (dont bother it's german, the values are on the bottom of the article)

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

cl_interp_ratio 1 can work, but you can't play without cl_predict 1. cl_predict 0 means that your movements happen like a second after you do them. I highly doubt either of those are related to your ability to hit with the vehicle MGs.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Aim slightly ahead of the person.

7. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Thanks metal smith for this obvious solution to hit a person and for stating that you don't understand what this thread is about. To make it clear: MOOtant always tells me that vehicle MGs perfectly hit where they should. Makes me think something is wrong on my side.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The point was this: you can't fix lag.

Interp in CS was an estimation of position to fill in gaps between packets from the server to give the game a smoothness to it. Any competitive guide for CS will tell you to turn this as low as possible (think it was .001).

It definitely works differently in source, but I believe the principle is the same. Based upon previous information your computer extrapolates the future position to smooth out motion. If you lag real bad, you'll notice this when people seem to move in one direction and then jump to a position in a completely different direction.

Think of all the different vectors and angles etc that the game must send just to tell the game where the other 63 people are and what they are doing. Then think of a tank, which has 3 separate parts that must be communicated. No matter how efficient the net code becomes, i doubt that we'll ever see a fix to this lag that you are concerned of.

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The tracers weren't accurate when they were added a couple versions ago. Whether that's changed, I don't know. As far as moving targets are concerned, Metal Smith is correct, just lead them.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Tracers are plenty accurate TYVM.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

tracers and MG's shoot exactly where they are supposed to. Doesn't mean the player is appearing exactly where he's supposed to...

12. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

So its the player models fault. Why do i not have to lead when firing my infantry weapons?

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Because your tank has 4x the pieces to transfer on a packet to the server than the infantry.

Infantry has 1 point of view, with the bullets having 1 point of origin that can only move on a single pivoting point.

In a tank, the cannon is parented to the turret, the turret to the chassis. So it goes from tracking the position of the chassis to get the position of the turret, then the position of the turret to get the point of origin for the shell. Multiply this by however fast the MG fires. I could be completely off base here, in which case mootant will delete this post, but I believe I am right in saying that it is litterally 4x as complex to give a point of origin for a hit scan weapon on a tank as it is for a player.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Not to mention player physics is about as complicated as GoldSRC whilst a tanks physics is up to the havok engine in terms of complexity.

15. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

Aside from clientside settings, empires always had very bad hitreg due to 33 tick servers that struggled with the playercount anyway.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

What does player count have to do with this? Having 66 or 100 ticks only simulates non-linear behavior better. Other player movements are already interpolated on the client so server pretty much can't get it wrong at 33 ticks.

17. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

The problem is that more players put more stress on the cpu. The server FPS were usually down in the 30s causing very bad reg - the fps hit that area with too many players online, and of course, they hit that limit faster with a higher tickrate. One of the reasons why I disliked to play on a full 64 slot server.

18. Demented

Demented Member

Or, more precisely:
    Doesn't mean the player is appearing exactly WHEN he's supposed to...

I recall with CS:S it was explained that the server rolls back the time on the player's hitboxes to a previous position in time so that it'll match the tick that the server had sent you when you pulled the trigger. All sorts of things could set that system askew, with the result being that you'd have to shoot ahead or behind of your target in order to hit him, and vehicle MGs have always had a really bad case of it.

19. Empty

Empty Member

Because as we said the MGs are interpolated poorly.

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It interpolates between 2 ticks during which you saw yourself shooting at enemy. It finds correct time between these 2 ticks based on tick that had shoot command, player latency and player interpolation delay. There's bigger chance that particle is imperfect than that it got your hit wrong.