2.27 released

Discussion in 'News' started by MOOtant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

we also have to see the fact that people just spend time on this forum bitching instead of getting in game and playing. I don't blame EVERYONE but I blame a lot of people. How is it that there are an average 80 unique players per day, but the current statistic for active forum members is at 227(lolz it looks like 2.27). That is some crazy shit, if you don't play the real game, the rest of those people should be testing the svn/RC versions or gtfo. If everyone got off their asses and either played the game itself, or tested the upcoming patches before release, we probably wouldn't have this problem here. People probably would've voiced their opinions about the minimap, about plasma, about targets, and things like the scout hide minimap bug would probably have been noticed.

If you don't want to read it, here it is in a sentence:
    Play the game, test the upcoming version, develop the game, or just leave, the door is right there. I would rather wait an extra month for a final release than for a release client that has mechanics that haven't been fully tested.

on a slightly unrelated note, when are the RC steamworks thing being put out again? I think we should get back to getting testing servers as quick as possible but I am quite oblivious to anything related to testing, so correct me if there is testing currently active.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

ModDB post up. Hopefully that will bring some new players in.

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

There's the key point.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

There is no such thing as a final and fully tested Empires release. It is a work-in-progress and as long as the next patch is coming in a few months i'm fine with being Mootant's guinea pig.

Do we even have enough active and mature testers atm?

@Scardy
    Nice post over at moddb. :)

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Although it probably holds true that most players who have been playing for some time are ok that the dev team is trying new things, new players won't probably like it, and their first impression could quickly become their last.

Nice, the new lua thing will probably bring in a lot of new people, since it's so common in other source mods, such as garrysmod.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

IMO, I believed 2.26 was released as a sorta public release candidate (RC3). It was done that way to get quick and fast feedback, and as you can see, it wasn't wasted.

MOO is in the zone atm, so I don't mind if he releases version after version just so he can get the feedback and do things differently/fix things quicker. Other devs are working on their aspects too, some of which won't be done for a while. So I really don't see a problem with this...but I can understand if people didn't think of it in this way.

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You guys can't complain about multiple code tests on several points of the game that have been argued back and forth over the years.

Nor can you complain about script testing going on at least once a week to test new balances and get feedback.

It's the constant development everyone's wanted for years. now that it's here, no one likes the changes. lol

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah I've got this feeling that the new players will be the last ones to complain about the changes :p

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I really need to check my spelling >.<.

I've been getting really bad at spelling the wrong word recently :/

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Another good point.

I like the idea of what MOOtant is doing with LUA, but I don't think it'll get much use outside of mapping (e.g. mappers can package LUA scripts to modify things for their map).

It's not a change to them ;)

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We had double the amount of players we normally had tonight, and the same the night before. ModDB post seems to have done it.

12. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah I agree that the sheer amount of work going on by the dev team is something to be happy about. releasing 2.26 and 2.27 got them piles of feedback, which cant be a bad thing.

holy shit there were some noobs on last night, like we had a team with like 4/8 being first timers, it was good and bad, but mostly good ofc.

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I think your wrong there. sure the MAJOR upside is for maps but, using the lua you could make better plugins.(as soon as the lua gets more stuff it can control)

as far as the noob situation.. guys try not to beat the shit out of them tooo bad.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah there was a bit of an influx of new players, you could tell because delete was screaming in every direction.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

new players always bandwagon. hate them so much

16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The problem is there's nothing LUA offers that we need from a plugin perspective; furthermore, producing plugins with LUA is illogical since our permissions and logging systems are all written for and deeply integrated with SM. The amount of legacy code that would have to be rewritten outweighs just about any possible benefit.

Mappers don't have any legacy code to worry about, and they don't have to consider permissions or logging. LUA presents them with brand new concepts and the tools to make those concepts a virtual reality.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

You said it.... legacy code. If god forbid we ever change platform engines again (maby to crysis or UR3) do you think SM would still work? Im sure lua would since we are making it a part of the game.
    (I say this not completely understanding SM since I don't use it.)

What I mean to say is that sure, rewriting the code is like reinventing the wheel still, a tire is better then a round rock by far.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

[​IMG]

19. Kane

Kane Member

Haha... "Zona" means prison in Russian. Don't tell me he's really in prison ;)

20. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

hes in the coding zone

[​IMG]

what 1990 thinks computers look like ^