I passed my driving test.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brutos, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's why you also need to invent mechanical engineers to design the mechanical cars.

No problem cannot be solved by technology.

Well yes ideally engineers should invent a robotic replacement for humans, preferably ones that are immortal and can fly and breathe in space.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Chris, Lets not even start on the reliance upon technology debate. Human error is must less costly than human engineered error.

3. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

Hurrah. Passing tests.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

My girlfriend also had one. Without servo steering and with wide-base tyres it feels like driving a go-kart.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Look! The lesser spotted intelligent American. Almost thought to be extinct, this rare creature can occasionally be spotted on internet forums for small game mods.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in the long run human error costs more

7. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

You should be banned from this thread. you couldn't pass the test with an automatic.

8. YouzY

YouzY Member

I passed my driving test after failing two times

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

no. Human errors causes everything. It's just that technology compounds human error quite spectacularly. In the end, if don't brake because you didn't brake, it's your own fault. If you didn't break because some idiot engineer made a computer that controls the brakes crash if it receives pressure to the pedal that is beyond the scope of it's programming, that is not your fault.

See what I'm getting at?

it also makes accidents not the fault of the person driving, but the company that built the care.

10. Kane

Kane Member

I cba to take my theoretical exam in driving... later [tm]

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

We don't really want a microsoft windows car, that's true... BSOD will live up to it's name :p

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

However it is far easier to build a bug-free braking program than it is to ensure every driver on every road in every country in the world is qualified, capable, and sober enough to brake reliably every time.

Plenty of things are computer controlled in the world, the construction of cars is one of them, so you are already faced with plenty of opportunities for faulty machinery to kill you by building your car so it breaks catastrophically when you drive it, however because we can test them quite extensively and they don't get drunk or forget or get tired, they are quite reliable things, and so kill far fewer people than people do.