Plasma Cannon

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by alucard13mmfmj, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

support, although uhm, what are the extras of a singularity engine? :S

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i still thinkt he problem isnt plasma, the problem is that the way we research leads to a single most profitable research path in the end ...
    there is very little diversity. plasma - even with zero damage as pure support weapon - could have a place within a research system where all items are available to everyone at all times. with the current "get certain heavies as fast as possible"-way plasma will either not be used or the weapon of choice - simple as that imo ...

also changing it to a push or pull weapon will not show the desired change. it will only show the same results (and you might see it more often after the release, but later on only if its "worth it", which means if its the best weapon)

but yeh, changing how you research is a huge change and i can see how this scares people.

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

flasche:
    The research issue can be easily solved by decreasing cost and time for plasma.
    Currently values:
    Superheated Material Physics (400 / 60s)
    Plasma Cannon Projectile (400 / 60s)
    Plasma Bullet Projectile (325 / 60s)

For a support weapon it should be:
    Superheated Material Physics (200 / 30s) --> includes Plasma Cannon and Bullet

But the whole discussion is useless because no developer has the balls to change plasma completely.

4. flasche

that only would make phyiscs generally a (even) more attractive research path and lead to more physics research (welcome back 2.24) ...
    sure ud see more plasma, but then less of the other researches.

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

problem is with plasma, especially cannon.. if u miss ur shot, ur pretty much screwed. because at that point ull either 1) overheat before the bad guy or 2) u stop firing and flee and u might die.

i actually wouldnt mind using salvo + plasma MG (not rail + plasma MG cause over heat too fast). if it worked.. to stop people from running away.

i guess the only other alternative is to reduce research time/cost.. like what others said above and elsewhere. or place it somewhere convinient so its not out of the way to get..

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I don't think that physics will become more popular with plasma. But this can only be balanced after watching the changes for some weeks.

Plasma cannon and MG have high heat to your own values to make these weapon useless (typical Empires balancing).
    I think that heat weapons can work, if they have a long reload time (like nukes).

7. flasche

well sip, if physics wont become more popular, you wont see more plasma either.
    dont you see what point i try to make?

empires research, by design, is a either-or research concept. you usually dont open all trees - the usual maximum is 2 for BE and 3 for NF (since ABS still is shit) - including mechanical engineering ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

As I mentioned in my suggestion for the Plasma MG (http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=13445) I think that it is no problem if support weapons are used rarely.

For example the new plasma APC can be used on slaughtered when you already have researched everything and a large number of heavies are fighting.
    One or two of these APCs in the background will give infantry a spawn point (not everybody want to drive a tank) and can overheat a certain tank. Your teammates can take out this tank and so slowly push forwards.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I agree with flasche...although I would do, haha. If the devs ever want someone to look into the tech tree format, I have many free hours that i'd be happy to devote to making some concepts.

/offtopic

10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I don't think that we will have a completely new research system for Empires because it's too much work to balance.
    And beside of this I like the current tree. There are always many different research paths for every map which can lead to victory.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's not too much work, actually. You can balance it pretty easily on cost and time to research all on it's own. The most difficulty comes from how things perform in-game, which seems to change each version.

The current tech tree does not lend itself to diversity, but the current balance is pretty good - except bio being strong and reactive being the most often counter. I see no one getting HEMG recently, which is a shame...'cos that tech tree doesn't have a good armour/engine atm, so it's a little neglected.

12. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

how about when your vehicle is destroyed it creates a vortex and hurts every thing around it

13. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

so a weapon that screws ur own teammates?:P

14. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

yes....But just think what you could do by driving into the enemy base and letting them destroy your vehicle.So it has pros and cons

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Specific script shit gets rejected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.