someone said mappers need models

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by cahemdue, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is why the forums are a shittier place without Chris ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah currently the JPL forum is the new place where he post his essays. Cpatton evicted him from BSID, which is probably a good move.

He is really annoying, and worst of all, he actually is serious about everything he does, and he treats it all like it still matters (I mean look at his fucking essays, that explains everything). If you have him on your f-list, just don't listen to anything he says related to empires mod, but for insurance, block or remove him. Cahemdue don't leave us man.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Cpatton wins 500 coolness points.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

you do realize that this is very ironic coming from you, right?

5. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

Well I'd like to make a couple of things for you guys but I don't want hang around forever.

Still working on some stuff and it doesn't seem like there's a rush for models and textures so I'll get em done when I get em done.

I'm still here!

People talk about all the BS and madness that goes on here, esp behind my back and all that. I don't personally care nor do I need to be involved. I just want my stuff to be used if I make it that's all I give a damn about honestly.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

There are like 3 props in use atm. It will be used :o

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Thanks for sticking around dude.

8. OMEN

OMEN Member

thank you - you are a beautiful person, please ignore all the ass holes, the emotions come with playing the game.

again thank you for enduring this vile community :)

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Member

Flowerszszszszszszszszszszszs

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This topic certainly went three different directions :eek:

Actually it's not so mad here, mostly I find people just rage and hate each other. You'd be surprised how dedicated and loyal they are though, and quite a lot are smart...although you'll sometimes regret being in an environment with such a lot of smart-asses.

Probably the worst thing about this community is this forum... if you can stay away from the dodgy areas though, it's a relatively smooth ride. Yeah they're all aggressive here, but in-game? They'll watch your back.

If in doubt just stay next to Brutos, he's a big hugwy-bear :|ove:

11. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

was gonna try to play some Empires tonight before I go to bed. Gotta download the thing first and then read stickies I guess.

I made a fail weapon to try my UV and texturing on. More fail. I'll show it though.

Moving on to some simpler stuff like props, will get to work on those tomorrow. I made an assload of progress today so I'm happy with the fail model.

[​IMG]

12. Trickster

Imageshack is only loading half of the image to me, for some reason.

Honestly, I recommend downloading and using dropbox. It'll be the best decision you've made in a while, and may people on these forums will vouch for that. It's especially useful if you're going to be showing off a lot of stuff, even if you do have your own site.

http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwMzQ3NjM5

Just take a look at it, and if you decide to try it, use that link to get yourself (and me) an extra 250mb of space. It might sound like I'm pushing this on you for my own benefit, but honestly, you have to try dropbox. It's fucking awesome, and way better than the imageshack shit. You drag a file into a folder on your computer, and then just right click to get the internet link for it. No browser requirement or any of that shit, and no problems with imageshack being shitslow for a lot of people. It syncs across all computers you use, has 2gb by default (2.25 if you use the link afaik), a web browser aspect for if you're accessing from a different computer. Tonnes of other features too.

www.getdropbox.com is the main site, should you have a problem with using referral links and just want to sign up yourself. Oh, and it is free.

13. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

dropbox is awesome, i dont know what vouching is though

15. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

If you guys can't see a direct image link from my website that sucks for you. I don't see why you couldn't see an image on my site....I hope that's not the case anyway.

Scrapped my rifle thing posted above... too complicated for my first uv - texture attempts. Working on a low poly grenade launcher with working break-style breach and some "hedgehog" anti-tank barriers. Will post pics as time goes on,.....:cool:

16. Trickster

Your site worked fine btw. I still think you should use dropbox. Honestly, it's every artist's dream. You have no idea how useful it is until you've tried it, and virtually every mapper, modeller, scripter and everyone else uses it around here.

17. Trickster

So, I take it you used it from the ping I just got. Awesome decision. If you need any help, have any questions or just want to know anything about it, then just PM me on here/IRC/Steam, I'll help as soon as possible.

18. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

Ok so can you see this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  19. Trickster

Yup. Looks pretty interesting too. That'd be a nice prop, but I think you should consider what the real life usage would be. If it's a big tank barrier, then it wouldn't be moved by people, so it wouldn't need the handles, It would probably have something for machinery to hook onto, so that it can be placed.

Texturing looks alright, but the hazard stripts are oddly placed.

20. cahemdue

cahemdue Member

yeah, the stretching screwed with the yellow hazard decals too. I think I missed a step in the uv process and that's why it looks like that.

I think I'll keep the hooks, I like them.

Working on other barrier stuff. I finished a high poly RPG-7 earlier today but God help me to texture that thing lol. I'm months away from a skill level needed to do that beast haha.