Saboutage Effect Counter

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ikalx, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Simple suggestion:

Engineers can counter the saboutage effect on a building for 50% of the total engineer build/repair ammo taken in a burst.

This does not effect the current health of a building - it still needs to be repaired.

This will not help situations where a scout is constantly saboutaging a building and no rank points will be earned for using this ability. It will help however with toning down the problems an overpowered saboutage ability represents, without having to reduce the saboutage effect significantly.

Because DoT is pretty overpowered in current Empires, but also many agree it is very useful, there is a need for a way to counteract it, without marginalising it. A whole base can be decimated in a minute/minute half by a knowledgeable scout, but cannot be saved in the same time by a knowledgeable engineer - usually two buildings will be lost, and at least one large one. This suggestion should enable a couple (engy ammo would be quickly depleted) of dedicated engineers to save the base without removing the damage done by the scout.

I should say i've seen it a lot of times when two engies are repairing a base and cannot restore the damage a scout has done before 1 or 2 buildings are lost. If a scout gets from one side of your base to the other, saboutaging, you will lose buildings unless you have 4 engies on the scene.

2. Empty

Empty Member

I like this.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would be for this if it was like 30% or 25% calc juice. 50 is a tad much. however if repair upgrade made it 25% I would be cool with it.

4. Empty

Empty Member

25 would completely nullify a base sabotage.

5. Mashav

Mashav Member

For reference:
    It takes 4.8 seconds (25 units) to cancel degen without repair upgrade.
    It takes 2.4 seconds (13 units) to cancel degen with repair upgrade.

6. Empty

Empty Member

Noted from here on out.

7. ViroMan

making this suggestion pointless?

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Hmm. In that case, perhaps we need to have a more visible notifier to show when saboutage is cancelled? I mean...how many people actually knew that?

And does that cover the saboutage effect too - not just DoT (i.e. half health, crippled tanks etc)?

Yes, most likely.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Biggest problem for me at sabotage is that you can't search the scout and repair buildings at the same time. Especially at BE buildings even veterans with enhanced sense need a lot of time to find him. Result is that you need 3-4 people to find 1 scout and to keep the base alive.
    Therefore I already suggested to remove the annoying 100% invisibility of the scout.

It is easy to do as I already posted here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=321276&postcount=18

"Addition for the developers:
    The code is in c_sdk_player.cpp:

//when using the scout's hide skill, draw him transparently
    int iAlpha = 0;
    if (m_iInvisible == 1) iAlpha = 60;
    if (m_iInvisible == 2) iAlpha = 30;
    if (m_iInvisible == 3) iAlpha = 15;
    if (m_iInvisible == 4) iAlpha = 0;

Just change it to 50, 40, 30, 25 and after this was tested this problem can be marked as solved."

To balance this scout should be faster.
    As I also already posted here you can see that the scout have a little better stamina values. But they difference is that low that nobody have noticed them. A drastic increase is required.
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=280100&postcount=1

10. ViroMan

Ya, good idea... perhaps a red/purple bar above or below the health bar on the building that repairs backwards till sabotage is gone?

I would LOVE to see some indication on WHERE the scout sabed the building like... I duno like a spot that shooting out a few sparks or something. This would fix the problem stated by sip. Look for sparks and you might find the scout who's been constantly sabbing the vf.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's a good idea actually. A small engy like spark could narrow it down a lot better, and stop scouts hiding in plain sight re-sabou'ing a lot.

I often wonder whether it's a bug or feature having a scout being able to hide in amongst the railings of the vf? I don't find the rax so bad though...it's bad but it should be kinda hard to find a scout sabbin yer rax.

What we could have is just be shown the saboutage bar at full like the scout gets...so we have to de-engineer the bar back to 0 again.

12. Krazer

Krazer Member

The different color bar, which shows whether a building is sabotaged would help new players ALOT.

The effect (Sparks coming out) from where the scout sabbed is good too. And good scouts can still move around, or from building to building.

Although it should be a small effect and not one that is too easy to notice. Like a few sparks, accompanied by a little sound.

13. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

Do Want.