Increase damage and decrease the firing rate of turrets, tank cannons/rockets

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Phoenix, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

Increase damage and decrease the firing rate of turrets, tank cannons/rockets

I’m suggesting this because I think at the moment the dealt damage (especially of turrets) is pretty low and it feels strange being hit by 10 bullets and still having half the health left.
    This is not for the sake of realism. I know Empires is not about realism, but in my opinion immersion plays a big part in making a game enjoyable.

To make a game more immersive real life should be resembled to some degree. Also tank cannons should be more similar to real ones in terms of damage and radius.
    I think they should feel more intimidating and powerful, and not spammed like tennis balls (maybe also a more powerful sound).
    Especially for new players it makes the game additionally less immersive and unintuitive.
    A decreased firing rate would keep somewhat the balance. Damage per second should stay (nearly) the same.

What do you think?

PS: sorry for my English, I’m not a native speaker

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Changing the damage for the turrets was already discussed. But as usual after a lot of discussing nothing happened.

For all tank cannons and missiles this is an interesting thought. Most of the people here are playing Empires for a quite long time and so we all become familiar with the current tank battles.

Changing the scripts to double damage/heat and half fire rate would be easy. A little bit more complicated but also doable would be to adjust the armor values.

If someone will change the scripts I would like to test this.

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I agree for tank weapons. I suggested a few times a long time ago. Problem is it really fucks on the armor balance with speed to target exetera. Although would be easier with new damage types. Although I think DPS should be raised as well(for tankvstank)

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

The speed to damage modifier shouldn't be a problem. We just have to double the value.

Speed to damage for absorbent armor: -0.0075

Standard cannon
    damage: 2 * 40
    speed: 3000
    Damage absorption: 3000 * -0.0075 = -22,5
    Real damage: (2 * 40) + (-22,5 * 2) = 35

Standard cannon new
    damage: 80
    speed: 3000
    Damage absorption: 3000 * -0.015 = -45
    Real damage: 80 + (-45) = 35

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah I think the sounds need to be made to be scary, like "Oh no they are coming!" but HE cannon has it's own sound that make it sound really loud when it fires and when it hits.

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Only if you scale each weapon exactly the same and TBH if armor is being redone speed to target should just be scrapped completely. That new speed to target would make salvo do like 0 damage.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

I fully agree.

8. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Sounds like good idea to me.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Salvos are really a problem. Just doubling the damage and doubling the time between two salvos will make them stronger, because you normally use them as hit and run weapon.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

A longer reload time means that after shooting the first salvo, you are forced to retreat and reload. That would give also more importance to anti tank mgs to use while your main weapon is reloading. You have to keep in mind that not every rocket will always hit the target. Homing salvo could be balanced by making the research more expensive, or decrease the rocket number to 3, or simply don't double the damage if it becomes overpowered.

11. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

I have been working with this idea in a set of scripts. A shot list of chnages includes moveing cannons to a 3 seconed cycle time from the current 2, while keeping the number of shots to kill a tank close to the same. The armor has been changed to remove the speed to damage and use actual resists.
    The scripts should be working if anyone is intrested in trying them out.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Surely that makes combat take longer?

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is a script issue really, not a gameplay issue to some extent. On top of that, it's already being looked at in Blizzerd/Nickierv test scripts. Consider this half rejected, half already implemented I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.