emp_FieldofGrantrania

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Grantrithor, May 2, 2010.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well I mean the style of play is related to the... Yea ok then i see that I have to do displacements first.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Which is why valve developes all their maps in orange dev textures?

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i want you see rework the trenches later, glhf. believe me, you can do very nice trenches with displacements alone (if my fcking hammer would be working i could show you how, but not even setting the AppID to 440 did help anything :cry:)

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Valve may, I do not, just as I don't model, texture, and design separately.

If things affect each other they should be done with each other in mind, and if you're doing that you may as well do them together.

You can do them separately if you want to but you will probably get better results if you think about how it's supposed to look when you do the gameplay and vice versa, because the gameplay dictates the shape and the shape dictates the look, and that also works backwards. If you want a particular look you have to adjust the gameplay, and if you want a particular gameplay style you have to adjust the look, the two are inextricably linked.

If you just jam pretty things onto a purely gameplay block-out you'll get something that looks very boring, because gameplay very rarely requires things like asymmetry or realistic architecture, if you make something that looks nice and expect people to play it it won't play very well, because looking nice rarely requires things like good flow and balance, so do the two together.

An orange map can be useful for blocking out the level as well as getting some of the scripted set-pieces in, but you should block it out with the visual style in mind, and be sure to make it visually interesting when you do so. If you just make a series of cubes for the player to navigate through it will be dull.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Then tomorrow, or in 12 hours because for me tomorrow is in 7 minutes, I'll develop the geometry in the middle and try to get something in that metal smith said while doing something related to what ikalx said (maybe instead of a hill its 3 artificial tunnels and over top is a road?). Dam kane for hosting his pug at 2pm here or else I would be making this map, oh well if I lag tomorrow i'll just work on my map.

edit: chris you remind me of 3kliksphilip when you said that one part about making it look interesting. I think that's what it needs as well, hell now that you point it out, my maps looks incredibly boring, I need it to look like a big clash between northern faction and brenodi has just started, and things are starting to break. stuff like felled buildings and bits of debris and ditched tanks seems to me like its what the public is looking for. Things like hard to attack flags(not too hard though to make the player frustrated, just hard enough so that teamwork is needed) gives a player a sense of achievement when he sees his teams flag flying over the point.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This is basically what I meant when I suggested tunnels. It should probably be pretty wide, just not wide enough - or have boxes around - so that tanks can't fit through them.

If you have flag capture affecting res, make sure you have a basic income coming in and have the flags add to that. Personally I think it'd be pretty good if you had a lot of tickets and flags primarily gave forward spawns, so the infantry could operate in areas without affecting tank availability too much, and stage forward to pin enemies in their base, basically winning ground so vehicles could move up.

If you lose flags, you end up with infantry bombarding your vehicles before they get near midway, meaning the enemy vehicles can move up and assault your base.

If you did that, it would make sense to have two re-spawnable barracks on each side of you base and two regular barracks in the middle near to the respawning vf's. If you have a last flag at the middle of the base there, then you'd have to take out the non-respawning rax's first to buy some space and time to cap.

That's pretty complicated, though I would say that tanks should be prevented from entering enemy bases, and maybe capping the flag right next to the enemy base opens an infantry entrance.

Eh...that's pretty complicated and so probably won't be a good idea for the map, but i'll post it anyway.

7. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

How do you make buildable objects like that tower?

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Flasche linked you the wiki thing but I can quickly tell you if you haven't seen them. What you do is make your object out of brushes, then convert it to an entity called "emp_eng_map_brush" and where it says owner ship you put "no owner(enabled)" or you do brenodi/northern faction but as long as its not "no owner(disabled)" you're good to go.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So I thought of something and was like HEY I got an idea to make it seem like chaos is brewing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So when I make the city I can have lots of func_destructable and func_physbox buildings that can be used for tactical reasons and for making the map fun. what does anyone think should I scrap this idea or is it pure awesome.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

THAT... IS.... AWESOME!
    can it be fixed?

12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

A big open area with lot's of destructible stuff, cover and everything? This is out on a limb here, but this (scaled down 10-20 times) might actually work on your map. It would be best if it could be detonated at different positions instead of in the same place all the time.....

Meh.....

13. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

We need more maps that do that we only have homland that you can destroy environments.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

hey heres a dropbox link to a half-life ep2 map I did once that had lots of destructive things happening. OH AND the combine that are different hate each other in it AND if you kill the combine shot gunner outside the starting house half the common combine soldiers rebel(but still hate you) They hate each other more. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6230052/Destructible.bsp

Oh and a link to a short video on it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQd5lhrfdw

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I fail to see the purpose of the video. It makes the map look like boring crap.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I just felt like making a video to the tune of the song. the map aint boring crap though.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So in an attempt to revive this map I change a bunch of things, but I have a problem. yesterday my compile times were good, today my vvis times are crap. SO in an effort to find out the problem I just compile it in vbsp and look at the vis leaves, and oh my eyes water in pain. [​IMG] Wtf I hardly changed anything. I took off the tools visgroup so you guys can see the stuff, and to tell you that I DO have a func_viscluster over this area and a hint brush. My huge problem lies in what is doing this, it is all made from displacements and there is a water texture inside it. Help me those idots at /3/ don't know bullshit about hammer they treat everything as "models" even if there exist displacements. What can I do to solve my problem?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  18. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

What is your avatar of grantrithor?

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Tassadar from Starcraft 1 in the final cinematic where he pilots the Gantrithor into the zerg overmind while imbued with the powers of the light and dark templar.

Now enough of this pointless shit someone help me with my vis leaves problem.

20. Demented

Demented Member

Looks fine to me. Those visleaves will be at least of some use, assuming the walls block vision.
    You're always going to get visleaf cuts every 1024 units and only a func_viscluster will kill them.
    Considering you've already used a viscluster to kill the leaves in the sky above...