2.25 Infantry Balance

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Beerdude26, Feb 22, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

When I watch for example this video of a BF2 sniper I see much more cover (trees, grass, buildings) then on every Empires map.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNIM0Rhp_U4&feature=fvw

So I still see no other shooter with such open maps like Empires and effective snipers.

If we somewhen has all map as detailed as for example Crysis jungle we can talk about scout rifle again.

2. Empty

Empty Member

derp engy walls

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

derp more than one class ...

4. Empty

Empty Member

derp 70% of all players on a server will be engy

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

6. Empty

Empty Member

40 players, 70% engy.

= 28 engies
    20~ walls per engy is possible from round start
    = 500~ walls on any given match.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

There is a wall limit at the server.

So engineers should for example walk in pairs to refineries. One place walls on the left, the other one on the right to have a secure corridor. :rolleyes:

8. Empty

Empty Member

Do you hide in cover 24/7 even if there's no known enemy threat?
    Not really.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

With a buffed scout rifle there will be always a scout aiming for engineers who are walking to refinieries on open places.
    Just think of duststorm or isle.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Thats like the 1000 thread about the scout rifle and usually only new players
    think that the gun is a good idea. Actually the scout class should be completly
    removed, it has no role in the game.

I dont see any rational none insultive argument here that supports the scout
    rifle. The nfhr/carbine is enough ranged combat for empires. Every player
    could support his team more if he would choose another class instead of the
    scout. In empires beeing aggressive is everything, every tool that suggests
    defensive behavior leads to failure.

Giving the scout the nfhr/becar only makes the scout the new rifleman and
    looks like a desperate try to justify a useless class.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Completely agree to you beside this point.

One our two good scouts in your team are often essential for the win. And with good scouts I mean scouts who sabotage important buildings and don't go for kills. When I'm playing scout I often don't use any weapon.

And this is why I still play this game. You can it play in many different ways. Scout and engineer are the classes, which can lead to victory without shooting a single bullet. While engineers often have to defend themselves and will later drive a tank the scout can stay in his role for the whole round.

12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

It's the non-combat role(s) of the Scout that needs to be emphasized and improved. If people think we seriously need an extreme range weapon in Empires, give it to the Riflemen. I think that Scouts should mostly be a kind of anti-Engineer. Destroying turrets, (somehow) circumventing walls, sabotaging tanks and buildings, and in general diverting the enemy's resources away from the frontlines. Everyone can play Engineer, but only a few should be able to effectively use the Scout.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The problem is that your team usually works perfectly fine if 50% of it plays
    one of the 3 other classes but if you have half of them play as scout you
    are more or less fucked. If theirs no class limiter it should at least to some
    extend (imagine 50% rifleman) be possible to win the game with a "scout team".

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

if i'm under fire from a scout, i run around in circles and determine where the shot came from. then i tell my riflemen then they suppress the scout.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

or you could get one of the ridiculous tracer packs from empty or chris0132 and you'd know practically before he shot at you.

Scout sabotage with hide is the most annoying, obnoxious fucking thing ever. It's ridiculous how much you have to yell at your team or divest time in order to find the fucking thing. In many locations on certain buildings, the scout is 100% invisible. YET ALL THE SCOUT DOES IS STARE AT A WALL AND HOLD E. HOW AWESOME AND FUN IS THAT? Besides, scout sabotage is going to go back to not killing everything in less than a minute in 2.25. So without the overpowered sabotage, what is the scout going to be but an engineer without the ability to do anything that an engineer can?

I said it before and I'm just going to keep repeating it. The only reason why the scout was useless and is going to be useless is because you want him to be. There's no other reason. The class is not inherently flawed; there are simply elements of the class's design that are inherently flawed. It's YOUR fault that you roll your eyes when someone picks a scout on a team and he's useless because his class selection. Not his fault. He didn't fucking spawn in and say "well fuck, I'm going to use the most worthless weapon that I can find, I guess that is the scout rifle right?"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  16. OuNin

OuNin Member

that is so silly

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

And I'll say it again. A sniper will not be a part of a squad and he will not use every other feature the scout has except the binocs spotting and we all know how great that is. Sabbing is fun cause you have to sneak up to shit. I can say the same argument that sniping is no fun cause all you do is point and click.

A sniper is just a weaker un counter able rifleman.. If you really have to run around in circles to determine where a shot came from then tell some riflemen to lay suppressive fire every time you encounter a sniper you will be running in circles and yelling at riflemen all round. That sounds fun.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what

A: so, if 50% of your team is anything but scout and its ok

so... 50% devided over all the classes not scout and 50% scouts (remaining)

B: but, if 50% is scout of your team and its not ok?

so... 50% devided over scouts and 50% not scouts (remaining

as i see it, if A is true, B is true and vica versa

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

There is no rule that a good team should have the same amount of players in every class.
    We will always need mostly engineers. Rifleman and Grenadier to support them and also to get supported from them and a small amount of scouts.

You don't like scout sabotage and hide. You find it boring to sabotage stuff?
    Go ahead and play other classes and don't yell about it.

If you don't see the big picture about these actions, when done to the right moment, I can't help.

I wonder if you every have played scout e.g. on slaughtered (full server, playing BE):
    To sneak through enemy lines you have to get the right moment. For example when enemy tanks are rolling out. Then they will watch less on infantry and you have bigger chances to swim through water to their base at asbend. There mostly MG turrets are waiting for you. If you survive then crawl NE. Sabotaging enemy base is useless, because there are always engineers around for repair. So sneak NE and sabotage ref (if you want to be sure, that they don't detect you too fast ignore this ref). Sneak and/or sprint past enemy bridge barracks and sabotage the other refineries (and again to be sure that they don't detect you too fast ignore the bridge ref and sabotage it later)
    If they don't detect this soon, they will fall behind with resources and your teammates can break through with their tanks.
    And sometime you can also eBuild an armory in the NW to change your class to engineer. When you manage it to also build up barracks and vf then your team has mostly won.

And this is for me one point that is making Empires unique. You can play it on many different ways and every way can lead your team to victory.

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

i like the turret-concussion-sabotage metagame in empires