Battleship Model

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Darg, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

The USS North Carolina had all them big guns and well..... came back to port with a huge a$$ hole in the side. Can't be too carefull with crazy loop de-loop blimp stunts soon to come about.

From there website.
    "the last struck NORTH CAROLINA. The torpedo struck below the armor belt alongside Turret 1, creating an 18 by 32 foot hole. In testimony to the strength and resiliency of her design, the Battleship briefly slowed to assess damage and to counterflood to bring her back to an even keel, then increased speed to 25 knots to regain her station to protect HORNET. Five sailors were killed in the torpedoing."

I take it Subs are on the list.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

Have you seen firestorm. Thinks thats what its called. A weapon that fires a million rounds per minute.

Sounds like something the BE can research.

DonMegel: Is that what you mean by horizontal armor bands shown in the pic on the last page or do you mean extra plates welded to the side in critical areas?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  3. Darg

Darg Member

Well we need to give the battleship some weakness to aircraft. I think 44 barrels firing at aircraft should be enough to defend against most kamikaze attacks. A strong combined effort on the other hand should be able to do some serious damage and destroy some of the turrets.

I think Don was looking for an attached horizontal armour belt.

I think a million rounds a minute is a tad extreme for the game.

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

We could use carrier/AEGIS cruiser as cover. :P

What would be nice to have from naval warfare:

- Transport
    - Battleship
    - anti aircraft cruiser
    - Carrier
    - High speed ninja boat :P

Of course we/modellers can think about after finishing the battleship.

5. Avair

Avair Member

submarines, scuba suits, under water buildings?

edit : quite a lot of submarine drawings here o,o

6. Darg

Darg Member

Well submarines would take a whole new level of coding on Krenzos part. Getting surface naval warfare working will be a feat in itself.

After I model this battleship I will either unwrap it myself or preferably hand it to someone with some decent texturing experience to unwrap and make a texture for (any volunteers???) or go straight to work on the BE style battleship that by its design shouldn't be as difficult to model.

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I can unrawp it, and can also give a go at texturing it, by the way what program are you using? It looks like Max with brazil plugin...

Looking great Darg :D

I also think a new subforum should be created called "Custom Models" or something along those lines, beacuse there have been alot of relases, and they will only grow from now on

8. Darg

Darg Member

I use Blender. It's built in ambient occlusion raytracer is far superior to vanilla 3DS. Google it. It's a free 10mb download.

I'll import the model into 3DS for you to unwrap. Send me a PM with your email address. I plan on finishing this by tomorrow at the latest so you can expect it by this time tomorrow. I don't think there are any places that are too complex to understand the topology. Most polys that face inwards and won't be seen are deleted. If you find any that aren't please delete them for me :)

If you want it in another format I'll do what I can.

9. dnc

dnc Member

wow so have we got an updted picture of the final thing, yet?... no...

well as i want to see it im goona flame and say "this thread is useless without pics!!!!"

....sorry.

10. Darg

Darg Member

The latest render was just yesterday. I doubt there will be much change to that apart from an anchor and either improved or removed additional armour.

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The smoke stacks are a little too tall. They shouldn't be higher than the tallest tower.

12. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I like the idea of makeing those side walls hollow, if you make the beam thick enough it will still strengthen the ship but allow people to walk down there, plus it will look cool. The life boats look big enough to be torpedo boats, small craft in thier own right. Id make them smaller and spread them out, stack them atop each other. Ofcourse, add more guns, those big side guns that you have two on each side, add another one and some more AA guns. I was talking about extra armor plates but they didnt turn out right and need to be tried a diffrent way.

I like the tall stacks, adds the 19th century feel, but shorten them a little for our fearless leader. Make them equal to or just a bit taller than the tallest tower.

Dont take my sugestions as critisism, the ship is looking great.

13. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

Yea I know a million rounds per minutes a bit much for the game ^^. It's honestly a bit much for reality. I was curious if people had seen it since we are talking about battleships and this is going to be the future of warship protection. The technology is cool and super simple, pretty much only one moving part and thats the bullets.

14. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

They've got a pistol already out in the market that can shoot 3 bullets before recoiling. That means that they all hit in the same exact area, so they can puncture armor that normal guns couldn't.

On topic: The battleship looks great but I agree that the lifeboats are a tad big. (You gotta' remember that battleships were the biggest thing in the fleet until the aircraft carrier came along) By the way, we need a tank or a person standing next to the ship so that we can see how big it actually is.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you could just have an entire map that was 2 battleships surrounding a smallish island. and the CV was on the battleships.

16. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I was thinking more of an Command Ship and all the res on small islands connected with bridges(tank, infantry, aircraft and naval combat all in the same). I can also see a land fall map where the other team starts with the common cv and other stuff on the land and the other starts from sea assaulting the mainland(prolly better as a push map).

Edit: ...and I think I left some other words on your elysiun.com thread of this same thing. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  17. Darg

Darg Member

Ok Shinzon I have gotten your email address. I will send you the file as soon as I get a chance to import it from blender into 3DS. I will set the smoothing on the model. I'll send you the ship model with no weaponry and then one copy of each of the different turret types and cannons. I think about 5 in total. Once I recieve more details from Krenzo on how to place the connection points for the turrets then I'll add them on and send them to him.

Here is the finished model. For now atleast I think it will do. I have removed the armour plates as I couldn't find a decent way to add those on. I think we'll just have to use bump or normal mapping to show the plates like in the photograph that was posted in this thread a page or two ago. I've lowered the smoke stacks and added a nice anchor :)
    Theres isn't a hole for the anchor in the model as that would have taken up too many polys to be deserved. I think it can be done just as well in the texture considering that people probably won't be seeing that part from up close.

Attached Files:

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Ok I recived the model, very nice stuff darg ;) ... founda few poly*s that could be cut, but nothing major...

About the texture, Before I start unrawping I want to know how many texture maps are alloed? just 1? 2? 3? 4?

Since this is a very huge object I dont think just one texture will provide enough detail (And if it is too large in resolution modern cards will just not load it...)

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You can go crazy with the textures but just remember that it slows down the load time.

20. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

unless its as part of the map, would things much larger than destroyers have a good place in the game? i mean maybe proper old destroyers (esp. for nf) with loads of guns and torpedos but even a battle cruiser might be sort of ott. you could have made one for all i know, dont know the scale you were on (eg calibre etc). I imagine the BE ones would have the rubbish missile dependancy of the modern destroyers (even if the hms triton tri hulled thing looks pretty), guns are much better :0)

ooh and will the turrent rotation speeds be sensible to make them not super powered and evil? it might even make sense to have up down left right etc done with keys not mouselook?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.