My Nuclear Dick: Now on Steam!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Beerdude26, Mar 6, 2010.

1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

At least we'll all be de facto better than them at their own game with our years of experience and practice. Commie can go find all their bugs for us to use, too.

2. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

We should totally hook them up with that general kid that makes coloured rocket trails!

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You have foreign function interface which allows you to call C functions and stuff like malloc if you want to. But normal Haskell code uses GC (like every functional language). Haskell REPL might do JITting or interpreting but main compiler definitely uses compilation (can even use GCC as the backend).

And yes, I saw MySQL or PostgreSQL code that was practically written in C with error handling by goto where label did the cleanup. For resources you should use RAII/with-...(Lisp)/using(C#) and GC for memory.

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Member

Ahh yes that would be me and that guy is pretty much a fanboy as he blindly defends the mod I mean heck as I already said by his logic we can call No More Room In Hell to be the first half life 2 zombie mod.

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

No offense, but whoever (from empiresmod) posted in that thread is the one blindly defending a mod, this mod.

Nuclear Dawn has indeed been around for a very long time and Empiresmod is a mixture of so many existing game, there isn't a lot of it that is unique for anyone to say that they ripped off Empiresmod.

They might have learned something from Empiresmod, or even went through the trouble to analyze how empiresmod works or fails, but isn't that the smart thing to do? It helps them make a better game, a lot of people on this forum do the same thing. They look at other games and suggest or compare features and mechanics.

And while it's real easy to bitch about Nuclear Dawn, the old lead that caused so much drama for their mod is long gone and their flaming PR has probably left as well.

Personally, I'm happy theres more RTS/FPS hybrids and not just mods. It's good to see that some people would want to invest in something less mainstream, or their believe that it is becoming more mainstream. And theres no reason to hate them at all, if Empiresmod is a good game, their game will only draw more attention to Empiresmod as well.

People will look at ND and wonder if there are more similar games and stumble across Empiresmod. Everyone does this, people stumble from Dota to LoL to HoN. From NS to Savage to Empiresmod (to ND). From this RTS to that RTS, could you honestly say you've never done this? People here should worry about the quality of Empiresmod itself, not some other game coming along and "stealing".

6. Empty

Empty Member

ITT: Turns out empiresmod fanboys are assholes (WHO KNEW)

7. The Doctor

The Doctor Member

Meh I guess your right. Also can you fix my old empires account please (con7con) I think when you reset tester access for everyone ages ago you screwed my profile up so I cant post or anything.

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

QFT
    6char

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you are one to talk, i dont want to be mean but i concider you along the fanboys : /

10. Deiform

Deiform Member

For the Dies Irae project, I'm going to claim that the game is the first RTS FPS hybrid that allows you to play as a chicken without crippling or diluting the gameplay.

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

i riet silleh storehs n i liek flowers
    ~Yes you are a storyfgt :)

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Aww man...well we get the sheep!

Also..I remember playing as a chicken in Heretic...ofc that was a FPS with rpg elements, but whatever :p

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The flying sheep from warcraft 3 frozen throne?

14. Hygrom

Hygrom Member

I can only see one advantage they have, their website looks better.
    On our side though, our commanders get to ride in a large truck like device, unlike theirs.
    "As the commander in your bunker," that's right, they get a bunker.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The bunker has advantages, such as it can't be jacked by a n00b and driven into a lake and left to die. Sadly it can still be taken over by a n00b.

16. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It means they have _actual_ concept artists.

17. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

so you have to pay for this?
    and really Empire and Consortium? sound like a ripoff of Empires and Starwars
    but still looks like a decent game

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  18. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Yes.

I suppose you're right dizzyone, but... It still looks like a rip off...

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

the bunker fails if it doesn't have hover thrusters to move it to areas of cover(but then it would rip off starcraft).

20. Terminutter

Terminutter Member

Surely if you think of it that way, we're all ripping off Wolfenstein 3d in the first place...

If it's good, it's good, if it's bad, it's bad.
    Still, it does look a helluva lot like Empires, but is that a bad thing?
    Only time will tell.