How 2.25 should be balanced

Discussion in 'Coding' started by dizzyone, Feb 22, 2010.

1. communism

communism poof

im the best hands down

and i agree with everything in this thread

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

even the conflicting arguements?

3. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Especially the conflicting arguments.

4. Empty

Empty Member

The below statement is false.
    The above statement is true.

*mind asploud*

5. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Error: EmptyPostedSomethingRetardedException at line 9001 in main.py.

6. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

The correct method is:

1) 10 is greater than 5.
    2) 20 is greater than 10.
    3) Two of these three statements are true.

7. Empty

Empty Member

I don't see what's wrong with mine.

8. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Infinite recursion detected. Ejecting to pod, please wait...

9. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

dont remove the comm overheat at start

that made so much progress into removing the borderline retarded skill gap between comms, i say this for the good of the game.

also wtf at standard engine having less heat dissipation, that is so fuckng brutal
    combine that with weaker armor all around and paper tanks cant even defend themselves at all

10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Seems like I missed reflective in the changelog.
    Reflective has 60 health.

12. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

That's the point.

13. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I disagree. All it has done is postpone it by 60 seconds... it's a lackluster attempt to save rounds or extend their longevity. In fact I'd say it widens the gap, because what I see more often now than ever before, is that the commander is waiting for 60 seconds before he can move at all. By the end of the 60 seconds, the rushing infantry are already at forward locations and the commander is busy in the overview dropping early refineries or a forward barracks and giving targets. This effectively means that most commanders (especially newer commanders) are sitting ducks for the early minutes of a round - since you know exactly where they'll be sitting, you can (fairly often) coordinate an early rush to head straight to the enemy main and sack the enemy CV and starting barracks (especially on maps like emp_mvalley). It happened in the PUG and it happens in public games quite often. I'd take the ability to rush with the CV (and actually have a unique and exciting round once in a while) over sitting duck syndrome any day.

It certainly hasn't resulted in better commanders - a new commander is going to suck with/without the safety mechanism. The command vehicle should at least be able to move to a different location at round start, even if the commander can't drop, say, a forward barracks for the first 60 seconds, which leads him/her to get out and try and build it & possibly become engaged in a shoot out while on the other side of the map.

The safety mechanism is lame and I haven't seen any evidence in 2.2x to suggest that it actually achieves its goal. People are so dogmatically used to it now though, so I suppose it's something we'll be stuck with for eternity.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

hrm.

how bout in the middle at 30 seconds? that's enough time to make sure you have a com at start, and for the com on isles to realize he should move.

Any less than that and 50% of isle rounds will be trickster driving the enemy com into water.

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I gotta respectfully disagree. I remember very well what it was like before it was added. It was a comm either pushing a squad to the front lines(which nf had the advantage) or a team not spawning until a comm got the forward rax up. These things would decide the game within a couple mins and often times make people just spec and ruin a good map so quickly. And all the matches that ended instantly because the comm would get killed trying to make the forward rax.

I like how there is time now to find a comm if you don't get one voted in at the start. Before if you didn't get one at the vote it would pretty much be game over.

16. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

actually I think next patch I might move both CV's and raxes onto the hills, cause lets face it EVERYONE runs up in the same direction at map start, up the ramp. It just adds an extra 30 seconds of running and a deathzone for noob comms that dont know that highground=good. And all pointlessly, cause like I said, they all go in the EXACT same direction.

17. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Updated reflective to 60.

Links stay the same:
    http://www.pfffr.de/armor_weapon_2.24_new.png
    http://www.pfffr.de/armor_weapons2.24_new.xlsx

John Shandy`:
    I prefer sitting duck commanders, because team has at least the chance to defend the commander, even when the enemy team is rushing. And some turrets can be a good defence against this.
    On PUG matches there might be more often early rushes but on normal games this happens rarely.
    And even then I would prefer to win or loose because of coordinated teamwork (rushing team) then to win or loose just because one player (commander) fails at driving.

Only alternative I can imaging is to reduce CV speed to infantry running speed for the first 60 seconds. But I would still prefer the current system.

18. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

If you are worried about the commander being a sitting duck during a rush just make sure that the lockout is disabled when he takes enemy fire.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Because ramming him totally constitutes as enemy fire?

Idk, I was for the lockdown, but Shandy makes a good point. At the least, it should be a server cvar dictating the overheat time.

20. RoboTek

RoboTek Member

Full proposed change list for cannons:

Ranged Cannon: Decreased damage by 10 to 85
    Railgun: Heat to 7(or7.5)
    Plasma Cannon 1:1.4(or1.3) cycle time. 65 damage. 13 heat. 8 heat to target. 2900 velocity
    Plasma Cannon 2:1(or 0.9) cycle time. 40 damage. 10 heat. 8 heat to target. 2800 velocity

Missiles:
    Mostly OK
    Given this patch is a basic balance patch, a rework is not recommended. Given this...
    1: Make Reflective AND reactive take damage from velocity.
    .004 speed mod for reflective
    .002 speed mod for reactive
    2: Increase reload time on Salvo ML by one second, Homing Salvo by 2 seconds.
    3: Increase homing missile damage by 5. Upgraded homing by 10.
    4: Increase homing missile speed by 100. Upgraded homing by 200

These are the basic changes that fix the most obvious problems and most cripplingly overpowered or underpowered weapons in manageable ways.