[Considering] Make PlayerModels Fade with Distance

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by PreDominance, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Make PlayerModels Fade with Distance

I'm sure everyone's been sniped be an NFAR, BECAR, or similar weapons. It's annoying as crap. Seriously.

So my suggestion is to have playermodels fade before buildings to. And psosibly, having an elevation advantage will allow you to see playermodels farther.

The purpose of this suggestion is to stop people spamming 10dmg bullets from half a field away to the point where you can't see them.

plz?

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Perhaps reduce the minimal damage dealt?

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Didn't people cry apeshit when falloff damage was too high?:p

4. Sirex

Sirex Member

Yes PreDomince search forum for "falloff damage", read that up, then come back. Dip

5. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

Don't people cry apeshit over ANYTHING?

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I like this. It solves part of the reason why people complained about the high falloff damage (i.e. you aim directly at a guy, but can't hit him no matter how many shots you take).

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This won't solve anything. Even at 5 damage a shot, people will keep shooting you. Empire's maps are huge, and usually open. There is no where to run, and it isn't really fun to build walls to protect yourself every time you need to go somewhere.

One example of this is that I was playing on Slaughtered, and I was scout. I snuck past bridge (hide), built a ninj-armory -> nin-rax, and I decided to go snipe for some lulz. Situated on top of the hill, I kept getting shot by a BEAR, BECAR, and SMG's from people who were by the BE MAIN RAX, which is extremely far away (factoring in the elevation/distance difference). They were doing over 12 damage a shot, but I couldn't return fire anyways because of the knockback.

@Sirex, user search did not return a user: PreDomince. Then I read the insult at the end of your line, and looked at your signature. Chuckling to myself, I thought, "How ironic...".

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Problem: You were a scout.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. The problem is that people were hitting me from an enormous distance very accurately.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

That would help on a mod like Empires, where most maps are large and spacious.

11. communism

communism poof

Fix the weapons instead of making players disappear after a distance

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

??????

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Yes, make ppl fade with distance. I would REALY love you if you made communism dissolve like he was dipped in acid every time he spawned.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Just so the whore BECAR can't snipe you from half a mile away, yes.

15. Empty

Empty Member

Pixel sniping isn't fun.

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The problem is that as long as the weapon can hurt you, people will continue to use it.

And if it can't hurt you, they'll whine and whine and whine about being able to see someone and not being able to hurt them (and to be fair, it is sort of odd -- firing at someone and having your bullets do no damage is weird.)

This isn't really a weapon-balance issue, it's a map-design issue. Few FPSes have maps as flat and open as Empires, precisely because it's not very fun and leaves you with this annoying problem between useless-feeling weapons and constant snipers everywhere.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Does anyone ever target lead in Empires? The bullet system isn't made like that, is it? It's fairly quick hit...maybe that's the problem. If you don't have proper falloff at range, maybe you should have to lead a bit more...

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Stop altering my suggestion, fsk. If PlayerModels fade BEFORE buildings fade, then all is well. K?

Post cons, or post your other thoughts.

19. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Seems too artifical, but you are addressing a serious issue of long range combat with these huge flat maps.

Get me up to speed on why falloff cannot make the bullets do 1 or 0 damage at such insane distances.

Should we implement wind and bullet travel time so everyone just misses all the damn time instead (half joking, would be lots of work, but I'll be damned if people don't complain about accuracy while shooting miles currently which makes me lol)?

20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

People bitched about falloff being too high. People would bitch about being able to see players and not kill them. My fix addresses both.

<3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.