The "awesome" commander vote system

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Vulkanis, Dec 17, 2009.

1. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

In that case, explain to me why so many RTS games nowdays have an AI that cheats (get more cash and such), games like Company of Heroes.

2. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

I agree on this one, most of the time I play RTS games and I seem to have a hard time defeating the computer it turns out that the computer is actualy cheating - however this does make the game actualy enjoyable as I have to actualy spend effort on defeating the AI.

What I would like to see is a Human versus Computer Game.

32 humans vs 32 Cheating Bots.

But that's just me I guess......

3. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

this.

/thread

also, voice is important for a commander to have. I often use the command time to actually organize squads and give initial orders out to. Fuck you ^^

4. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

They will know, did you not read some of my earlier writing, if you look in the score board (default tab) you'll see if they even have a microphone, and if that fails F S and space bar will solve all you're problems.

5. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

/re-open thread
    You haven't read half of the posts in this GTFO :mad:

6. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

This attutidue will be and has been the downfall of mods because everyone will bitch about WHERES MY TURN LET ME DO THIS, etc etc. So in terms of the wellbeing and future sucess of this mod, I reject you're idea and substitute my own!:p

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Fairness?

T.H.I.S. I.S. E.M.P.I.R.E.S.M.O.D.!

Fairness should never be an issue with interteam management. There are shit tons of games where no one even opts in to commander voting, so some random person has to grab it.

Also, players that are good commanders don't always want to command. There are plenty of opportunities for new players to test their mettle against the enemy com, why should the vote be completely fail...err, fair?

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Why do you assume that your lack of knowledge means there are no instances of this? Why is everyone so egotistical that they assume that just because they haven't seen it and they've been here for a few weeks it doesn't exist? I get it almost all the time.

It's not an exploit. Are you saying your own vote doesn't count? I don't usually vote for myself, but I have once or twice when i've been on servers where I know the other guy is a muppet and doesn't know the CV from a hairbrush. With those games, either your team is utterly fail because they don't know anything and won't listen, or they're godlike because they don't know much and they appreciate the direction.

9. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

filler

i just read all that is said here and i recomend vulkanis you go away and think about what you have said, then write 4 pages of A4 on why you are wrong

despite the inherent problems with human commanders they make the game more fair and interesting. As for microphone use, i personally find that a commander that understands english, can read and can hear what is going on in the game is more important. Admittidly speech is a faster mode of communication (for most of us), but competence is greater than some idiot who talks too much.

/thread

10. bokan

bokan Member

I would advocate perhaps delaying the 'opt-in' option until a certain percentage have loaded, or just a hard delay on the whole thing with a shorter comm vote time. Often times I can get the comm by just opting in before other people have loaded.

11. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

But I some people take so long to load, they go past the com voting time.

12. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

with citations

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

ITT Butthurt guy who doesn't get voted because he's incapable of communicating with team.

EDIT: But srs, there are 2 aspects to commanding.

Strategy
    Leading

Take Cpatton for example:

Cpatton is a fantastic leader, I'll give him that. But he's not that good a strategist.

Take Sonecha for example:

Sonecha isn't that good of a leader, he doesn't communicate a lot, doesn't have a mic. But he's a phenomenal strategist, probably one of the best empires has ever had.

If you can't communicate, try to be more like Sonecha. Stop being butthurt and learn the game better. And like Cpatton, I also make a point of organising my team during the vote time.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  14. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

No.

And, die for rick rolling me with your home page URL on your forum profile.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

because they have to command the units too, together with the more complex maps and the troubles that come along for being a full rts

our hypothetical empires AI would just complement the infantry the best way possible, and place buildings on predefined "base" locations

16. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Most RTS/TBS AI nowadays is pretty terribad. They almost always have to cheat to be a decent challenge. You could argue that the reason why is because developers are too lazy to develop decent AI, but either way, it's a pretty good argument that good AI is actually difficult to develop.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is that these games are pretty CPU intensive, and lots of AI are often used at the same time together with the unit path finding and individual behaviour

AI often takes up about 25 to 50 % (supreme commander) of the cpu and memory load in a common rts, and by making the AI cheat, a lot of rules that players need to follow don't need to be coded in for the AI (exeptions, rules of research etc etc etc, thus making him far simpler in construction and more challenging with less CPU load

this is in my opinion the cause of 60% of RTS AI cheat behaviour

ALL of this is not relevant to empiresmod

stop looking at empiresmod as an RTS

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  18. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If you're programming a commander AI, you kind of need to look at empiresmod as an RTS.

19. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I look at Empires like this:

[​IMG]

20. Demented

Demented Member

John Shandy (C3): I have spotted an enemy mullet!