The "awesome" commander vote system

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Vulkanis, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

The command vote panel is a familiar sight to all good commanders, but as all commonly elected (but usually less then decent) commanders realize, that if you get into the vote first, you can vote for you're self, and since alot of people are complete idiots and vote for someone because alot of other people have, more then likely that person is set for being the commander unless some clan members show up and commander vote butt buddy together. So I propose we adjust/add two things

1. Don't allow people (participating in the election) to vote for themselves, or use a microphone (DURING THE ELECTION) if their in commander election, I commonly see the microphone as a tool for getting votes, either with HLSS or microphone spam.

2. A quick system to see if a commander is experienced or not, and to see what map and the teams that had been selected during that win/lose. So good, bad and average commanders can be correctly identified instead of relying on the more then often unreliable Empires celebrity, usually looking only out for themselves and will prompt that (insert name here) is a bad commander, or will state that the commander was a griefer.

P.S. I probably made a horrible mistake in this thread, I made this around 5:00 AM...

2. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I like what we have now
    As a good commander I can use this to make sure I am elected, or make sure that Man Berries ISN'T elected.

3. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Man berries some kinda insult on IRC? Also I don't think a commander should be able to vote for himself... wheres the fairness in that...

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Why restrict mics? so you don't know who has a mic, and if you want a commander regardless of their ability to communicate?

Commanders with a mic are able to communicate much more efficiently than those without. If the one without is a solid proven commander, then there is no issue.

5. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Disabling mics wouldn't mean you can't see the little microphone avalible symbol next to their name with the score display button (default tab)

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

meh commanders add to few to a victory that a W/L ratio would be a good indicator ...

if the other team has the better players you could have the best comm and lose ...

its only 20% max that a comm add to a victory - tho he can add up to 100% to a loss - even if some might disagree, plz just see it as general rule. i know you can boomtank and wall a comm so even a completly incapable team can kill him ...

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I actually, from time to time (after yelling to my team to squad up) use the mic to tell them what to do. And so does other commanders..

8. flasche

i actually love to have some decent field commanders when in the comm chair. thats something awesome. not guys that tell me what to do, but guys that herd the people around them. thats just great and gives you time to care more for the rest of your team.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the comm chair, brings back memories

10. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Man berries is the new Dawgas

11. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

No to dissabling mics, I often see(or most of the time) good commanders using their mic to organise the game before it has even started, make up a strategy, asign people to squads, explain your tactic, ect.

I don't think it is a bad thing that a commander uses his mic to influence people to vote him.

People with a mic for comm > People without a mic for comm

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

What he said ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

13. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I think in terms of more fair commander voting mics could be disabled before the game actually "starts".
    I've never personally witnessed a commander setting up a plan or strategy befroe a game "starts". But noone has yet to begin to chat with me about the stupid "exploit" where you can vote for you're self, and usaully if not always the person that opts in first and has two or more votes will cause everyone to vote for him, I'm not sure why its what I have observed and experienced.

14. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You need to play more. With good commanders.

15. Zeke

Zeke Banned

fairness?
    this is about getting the best possible com, fuck "fairness", this aint kinderschool.

no mic is a big minus, therefor people should be informed of that before picking the guy who will lead them.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if that really is the case you might as well just automate the commander function and give it to a bot

17. Omneh

Omneh Member

Uh, no.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if all you want is the best possible com, scripting him to respond to players in the best way possible would turn out to be a flawless commander

for an infantry its really hard to script a good AI

for the com its piss easy, and can be perfected to the point of unbeatable com vs com

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If they could just clone me it would be far easier.

20. flasche

no its not ...

its piss easy to create an AI where each building spawns at the exact same spot in the exact same rotation. you have a HUMAN predifine it and let the AI replicate what he did dependend on if you have enough resources.
    but if an engi drops a wall somewhere it might be more efficient to place a turret 5 pixels to the left ...

thats where it starts to not be "piss easy" again ;)