Make armories less fragile.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Armories are interesting buildings. They're cheap and don't get used enough.

I think perhaps one reason they don't get used enough is because they tend to die if you put them on the frontlines where they're supposed to go.

So, how about making armories tougher and harder to kill? More health, or reduce the damage they take, or whatever. Obviously, whatever option doesn't make them take longer to build (which would defeat the purpose, since they need to be able to go up reasonably quickly.)

The idea is that this will hopefully encourage players to use 'offensive armories' to push forwards rather than risking 'offensive barracks'. Fighting over barracks is annoying, even if it's a core part of the game. I would much rather fight over armories. I don't know if we can get players to use them like this (obviously barracks are much more reliable), but I think it's worth trying.

Some people might try to use armories as walls, but so what, they'll still go down easily if they're not defended -- they're much easier to kill than normal walls, because almost anyone can hurt them.

Another, related option might be to make armories faster to build, possibly even much faster to build, so players will be more likely to build them. Maybe make it so they E-build better than other buildings?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

no, Armories are already fast to build and useful enough

3. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Hrm. What do you think of the idea of just making them E-build faster, so they don't require an engineer as much as other buildings? (Engineer might still be faster and would be needed to repair one.)

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Then that would make ninjaing easier, as laying an armory could allow you to switch to engi relatively fast.

IMHO, armories should have a lot of armor. They're armories ffs. They can be deconstructed fast, and perhaps damaged by chaingun fire of whatever, but they are built for the front lines, and they should be outfitted like it too.

5. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

etymologically, there's no reason to make an armory be well armored. they're called armories because they store arms, not because they are armored.

armories right now are perfect. fast to construct, cheap, very useful, fast to kill.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Too many big words, Pickled.

Anyways.

Change whatever you need to, but just make sure they're fast to build. Otherwise they're useless.

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I guess one big word is one too many, then?

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

If you're going to nit-pick, I guess that same word isn't at the beginning of a sentence?

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

predominance: I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS WORD, THEREFORE YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!

that's not how it works. sorry.

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I said nothing of the sort, in fact, I agreed with you!

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Agree. Don't change something, which is not broken.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

armories in rl often do have armor, but to keep the base from exploding with it if somehting goes wrong with the weapon storage (blowing up)

i know this because of Enschede, there they didn't have a proper armouring

13. Empty

Empty Member

QFT

You'd be a moron not to armor up your ammo dumps.

14. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

While true, this has no bearing on an etymological discussion of armories.

15. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Armories are cheap enough to quick to replace if destroyed. these are not bunkers, they are just for refreshing yourself. Make walls in tactical formations if you want to turn it into a bunker.

16. beatandgo

beatandgo Member

I honestly think armories are fine, people just cant seem to find a relatively local place to put them in a lot of cases. Good commanders will ALWAYS place an armory out of line of sight of the enemy, but within reason so people can independently defeat Bio-effects or heal up on the run.

Not to mention its amazing if your a roffleman or grenadier that needs ammo and is too stubborn to change engy, drop ammo outside of a rax then switchup again. They're a low-hp building because their an extremely cheap and semi-permament structure for HP/Ammoz and can be placed almost anywhere alot of the time.
    Good comm's always use these offensively and defensively because they save alot of time in healing/ammo drops.

17. FN198

FN198 Member

just put a wall between the armory and the enemy. exactly

empires based on combos. the only all purpose thing in empires is the HE cannon

18. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I love how I worked on the scripts for the buildings but can't remember if their health.

Isn't it just like 1/2 of a rax? Seems reasonable to me.

19. conquestor

conquestor Member

Uh armories already make excellent walls for coms to drop if they have res to spare. They should really only be dropped offensively when there's a big infantry battle of if a bunch of infantry vs a few tanks and people need to go gren. In both of those cases, there should be plenty of engineers around so I really don't see the point of this...

20. FN198

FN198 Member

you can shoot over a wall, you can't shoot over an armory.

they both cost exactly the same amount of res though.