Players should have to deliberately choose to become the squad leader.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Right now, the first person to enter a squad is its leader. If someone dies, the new leader is basically random, and gets no indication that they're now the leader.

This means it's very easy for someone who doesn't know much about being a squad leader to end up as one by accident.

So, I propose that you should have to specifically enter a command to become squad leader -- for instance, when you join a squad, if it doesn't currently have a leader there could be a 'become leader' button. Similarly, if your squad's leader dies, leadership doesn't automatically go to another person -- instead, someone has to open up the squad-command menu or whatever and hit 'become leader'.

The first person to do one of these things is the squad leader. No, you can't steal leadership from someone else, and yeah, this could result in silly things like people racing to become squad leader first -- but I think it's far, far better than what we have now. At least this way, anyone who becomes squad leader will want to be squad leader, and will presumably know how to use the tools.

2. Demented

Demented Member

Liked.

I'm pretty sure a squad wouldn't accumulate points without a squad leader, but that can be changed.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What? No seriously..what?! Squads don't work like that!! How could I have missed this?!

Otherwise, yeah, I agree.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Yes
    maybe just tone it down to a "give squad lead" and "kick squad leader" button in the c menu to make quick changes in a squad, especially for dealing with pubbers ( like me :D)

5. Empty

Empty Member

I'm with Ikalx here, wtf is aquillion talking about.
    Squad leaders don't change if you die :P

If he's talking about squad leaders changing when you leave a squad randomly, yes, there should be a "Promote to SL" button.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Dammit! When I said "die", I meant to say "leaves the game", or leaves the squad or changes team or whatever. As in, I don't know, dies in real life, not dies in the game.

Well, anyhow, you get the idea.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if his connection dies

and yes i think its a good idea, it would add silly "me first" clicking but i think it is worth it

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I thought you did, but you repeated it twice, so I got confused...

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you opt in for commander, and dont get voted you become squad leader

10. YouzY

YouzY Member

Im very picky whose squad im going to join, because 1/2 of the squadleaders dont use the squadpoints at all or they just use them for their own benefit.

Instead of joining a squad with a retarted leader, why not make your own squad.
    But the problem in this is that people will stay with that retarted squadleader because they dont know what harm he causes.

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Nice idea but would be a little confusing.

I would prefer, that we would have a combined commander vote and squad choose screen.

Could look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Join a squad by clicking into the squad area. Leave a squad by clicking into the Players without squad area.

According to my suggestion (http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=11286) full squads should get 10 free squad points.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I like it. Four people and one squad leader.
    Next we need a squad-leader auto-kick. If the leader has been dead for 30 seconds (which means a time-out whilst dead, a crash, or is dead indefinitely (end of the round (no tickets))) then he is auto-kicked.

13. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Or he could just be dead and waiting for a revive so that he does not waste tickets.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

A simple workaround is mousemovement then, or otherwise just general activity. Odds are a dead player won't sit there just staring at his monitor.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

This is probably the only thing that aquillon has proposed that I can agree with.

oddly enough, I also think SIP's combined vote screen is good (it's almost exactly like the savage 2 startup screen).

Also, BSID stacks. Sonecha would probably start as a rifleman with speed or accuracy, not a gren. Mayama would probably be a gren with speed upgrade. Hmm, let's see, youzy would pick some gay combo like scout with regen. Otherwise, pretty accurate, needs more BSID riflewhores though. Hopefully Random_noob wins the comm vote, those other two guys are n00bies.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Bumping old idea because it isn't a bad idea. Would help with that problem of new players getting squad lead and not knowing how/what to do with it.

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

agree.. newb squad lead is almost worse then newb com.