Addommondȗl, "Cloistergrave" the Succession Fortress

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pickled_heretic, Nov 29, 2009.

1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Current turn order

pickled_heretic
    Blizzerd
    Cloud
    Varbles
    Empty
    Z100000M
    Zeke

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Oh bloody hell it's cold, Piculd Oddomoslan muttered to himself, trudging in snow up to his beard. He paused, thinking to himself, and looked around, shrugging. "This spot's as good as any other, I suppose." He turned to two heavily clothed figures and grimly said "Dig for your lives." The two dwarves nodded wordlessly and began chipping away at a sheer face of ice and rock on the side of the mountain.

[​IMG]

Things were so different, he thought to himself as he stood, watching the two miners pierce the mountainside. Fifty years ago, something had happened. The whole world was blanketed with cold and snow and misery. Volcanos began popping up everywhere. The goblins had become more aggressive and began attacking dwarven holdings. The Mountainhome was no longer capable of feeding such a large population and entrepreneuring dwarves had all decided it would be best to found new outposts rather than starve to death.

Piculd had been a clothier in his previous life, and like many many others he decided to leave the mountainhomes. He collected a ragtag bunch of craftsmen and laborers from other professions, traded all he had for supplies to last a year, and embarked into the eternal winter which covered much of the world.

[​IMG]

The surveyors said there's water under the mountains, here. If we can strike water and set up a farming operation, I can feed my dwarves and start a small cloth crafting business, with goods in time to trade with the fall caravans. Piculd paused. And if we don't, we're going to all die here. "Hurry up, ya sorry lot! Me beard's about to freeze right off!"

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

[​IMG]

I rest my case.

4. Empty

Empty Member

Cloistergrave.
    An apt name.

5. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Diary of Piculd Oddomoslan

4th Hematite, Early Summer

Found the river. Got some farmland flooded. At the rate we're goin, we're not going to have anything for the traders but some rock crafts I was working on while waiting for the miners to dig out the farm.

[​IMG]

Everyone's still sleepin' on the floor, but we've got some rooms carved out, and Dishmab hammered together some beds out of the supplies and the wagon we brought. Won't be long before we have some rooms to sleep in, but Gods, it's been cold sleeping on the ground. Some of the lads work outside, and when they get tired they just lay down on the bloody ice to sleep. Can't say I am too sympathetic when I hear them moaning about it.

[​IMG]

6. Empty

Empty Member

Do we get to name one dwarf on our turns?

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

That's right.

8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

shoulda brought some bauxite

hooray i can backseat command

edit: do we have sand too? :cute:

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

2nd Galena, Late Summer

Wouldn't you know it. The farmer that came with us got bitten by a damned cave spider.

[​IMG]

The good news is we've got cave spiders - the silk's worth more than plant fiber cloth. The bad news is our farmer sometimes stares out into empty space and passes out while she's trying to work.

[​IMG]

I've decided to get everyone who isn't doing something more important to help with our first crop. We've got to push hard if we're to have something to show for the first caravan.

[​IMG]

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

12th Timber, Late Autumn

The bad news is we weren't ready in time for the caravan, but I had a backup plan. I brought a few skeins of cave spider silk with us, and as the caravans were showing up I whipped them into a few trinkets. Even came up with a masterpiece in my furor to get them all done - who would have known.

I traded all we had for all the food and booze the caravan was carrying, which amounted to two barrels of rum and a whole big pile of meat. There were also some nickel bars, which is very fortunate for us, because our miners just struck a volcano. With the nickel bars we'll be able to tap the magma and begin metalsmithing while keeping magma dwellers out of our fortress, which is important, because we don't have any bins or barrels until we can start making them out of metal. We are almost completely out of the initial wood stock we brought.

I requested bauxite, wood, various leathers, and booze for next year.

A wave of migrants came to the fort today. Most of them have useless professions to us but that's okay - we have lots of hauling work to be done.

The winter's coming. All labor has to be moved inside. I hope we've got enough food to survive, because we won't be able to grow much until spring comes.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

1st Granite, Early Spring

Winter was pretty uneventful. We tapped the magma vent, but we have yet to set up a working metalcrafting operation. Our food and clothing industry is finally in full production mode. I made a bunch of bags for milling and a few ropes to keep the animals tied up and out of the way. Oh, and one for the well, too - haven't placed the well. We'll need more mechanisms but that shouldn't be a problem - there's plenty of stone around. In the coming months I can turn the dyed cloth that we're making into valuable trade goods. It should only take a season of hard work to make enough goods to buy out the entire caravan when it comes again this coming fall.

Seems like there's plenty of food and drink in the short-term, but we desperately require bins and barrels to increase our overall efficiency and our maximum food stock capacity. The sooner we get the metalsmithing operation going, the better.

As soon as the miners finish the new rooms, we can move the latest wave of migrants into them.

An ambitious dwarf might dig out a large cavern and start a tower-cap farm with the underground river, but that's too much for me to handle right now.

[​IMG]

Blizzerd, you're up. Here's the file:
    [​IMG]

Notes to next player: The main thing right now is to get the metalsmithing industry going and making some barrels and bins. You can use gold, iron, copper, whatever metals you can find to make the barrels and bins. I found a big vein of magnetite when I was drilling the magma out so you could start with iron since it's plentiful right now. Try to have a bunch of dyed cloth crafts ready for the caravan. Cloth is our best source of trade income right now until we have trained metalcrafters and other metal industry professionals - The average piece of dyed pigtail cloth will produce 3 crafts worth around 200 gold each. Beyond that, there's lots of ways to improve the fortress, so just have fun.

Our food industry is located many Z levels above the rest of our stuff. F2 will zoom to the food industry, F1 will go back down to the ground floor. Just for convenience.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

hmm, one question :how long does a season take?30 mins? 20? 1h?

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing if you never paused you could blow through a year in an hour or so.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

A life.

Do you have one?

15. Zeke

Zeke Banned

it's actually a really fun game, believe it or not.

16. Cloud

Cloud Member

I agree with the above Konata.

17. Empty

Empty Member

I sadden.

18. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I sadden for entirely different reasons. I must withdraw from the end of the list.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

im on it

20. Cloud

Cloud Member

Remember to give me short notes on what happened, and what you'd like me to do next year, you dont have to do the whole storytelling thing.