Damaged tanks dissipate heat slower and move slower.

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by PreDominance, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Basically the engine gets a nerf when the tank has a red hull.

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Why?

We have already an engine with this effect (3 Phase).
    And rushing will be more difficult, because you're tank will be too slow for retreat.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Why?

A touch of realism.
    To hinder near-dead tanks.
    To give grenadiers a helping hand.
    To help finish off tanks that rotate their no-armor spot to prevent death.

The 3phase effect is barely noticeable. And the point of a rush isn't to retreat later. If your rush fails, you may still retreat, but you will be slower.

Also, this is only for damaged-hull tanks. If you let your hull get down to red, then this is what you get.

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I think this already happens somewhat, from what Ive seen driving a jeep with fission ;)
    when you start smoking your max speed and acceleration drop quite a bit. At least thats what it feels like.

5. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Stall on damage already exists Oo

6. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Yeah, heat is already added when you get shot, so when your nearly maxed on heat itll stall you. Also, you can always rotate tanks whether stalled or not, but not apcs/afvs/jeeps.

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I barely noticed the effect...maybe I need to play more. Or I just don't get red hull often enough.

Alright, fair enough. GG.

8. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

First of all, stalling on damage and wolfie's suggestion are two different things. Stall on damage indicates that when you're hit your engine cuts out temporarily, whereas wolfie is suggesting that tanks should be passively shittier as they sustain heavier amounts of damage.

Anyway, tanks already drive slower when they've got a damaged hull. Making it any worse than it already is is a silly idea.

Nothing is more exhilarating than killing another tank with your own smoking husk of a tank with two faces down and a flashing red hull, and you're making this kind of thing more difficult with no actual benefit to gameplay.

Nobody "lets their tank get to a red hull," it kind of happens for them. Some people try harder than others to prevent that kind of thing from happening, but it will happen to the best of us at some point or another anyway. If you want people to die instantly when they get a red hull, why not just reduce hull HP by 33% and remove the red hull state indicator. Oh wait that's a terrible idea, and so is this one.

Sure this suggestion might help grens out a little bit (not much, mainly it will help tanks kill tanks), but as I've said in other posts, the most obvious solution (buffing the gren) is the best one, not shotgunning a thousand other little things in because they seemed like a good idea at the time.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

This wasn't intended to help the gren, it just does.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This...have you ever even used a badly damaged tank, Shadow? If you ain't on the winning team, you get screwed over really quickly if you don't pay attention.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The only way I've noticed getting screwed over because my hull is red is when a shot goes through 1-2 plates of armor, and has leftover to kill me.

Otherwise, no, I haven't.

There's apparently some mechanism similar to this already in place. I did not notice it. Please close this thread arklansman, or someone else. Or just stop posting in it.

12. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Pro enough to never die in a tank fight unless it's not your fault, but not enough to observe engine slowdown on damage? I see.

13. Empty

Empty Member

They tried this, with 3phase, it sucked balls, end of discussion.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I never said I don't die. I just said I never noticed it.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Your whole fucking argument up until now has been that people who let their tanks go to red hulls deserve to die anyway, and you've implied several times that you're not one of those people that lets tanks go to red hulls. You just fucking said that the only time you die is when someone does enough damage to punch through one or more plates and instantly kill your tank. I find this so unlikely and absurd as to be impossible, but fine. You're taking the superior stance here in saying that you're too good to let your tank get to red hull (which is obviously not true), but at the same time you're saying you haven't noticed A BASIC ELEMENT OF EMPIRES GAMEPLAY, where tanks slow down when they've got a red hull. Are you suggesting then that you've never driven in a tank with a red hull? You can be sure that someone is going to call this bullshit. If you're wise enough to make suggestions like this then you should have known already.

I suspect that this thread was just another attempt at being an attention whore, and now that the attention you're receiving isn't the kind that you set out to receive, you're crying bloody murder trying to get the thread closed. You could have prevented this whole travesty in the first place by not making the suggestion at all.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

He's young...no need to direct your angst to such an easy target, dude. Besides, it's far more satisfying to beat down on someone who's closer to your level.

17. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Enough with flaming eachother -.-, if there is still need for discussion pm me and I'll reopen the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.