Hardkor 44- Polish Steampunk reimagining of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by @@@@Marcin@@@@, Oct 24, 2009.

1. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

[​IMG]

Right, so Hardkor 44 is a film set to be released between 2010 and 2011 in Poland. Now, most people here, who live outside Poland, would likely never know this exists if not for this glorious thing called the internet, which allows me to do just as I am now-detailing what we know about this film so you can go see it as soon as it's dubbed or subbed.

It's directed by Polish director Tomek Baginski with effects produced by Polish effects company Platige Image, who, I must say, do really nice CGI. The film is currently in pre-production, and very little is known about it besides what little has been released and what we can gather from the awesome concept art. I've read both that the movie may be in full CGI or that it may be part live-action, part CGI.

The story is the story of the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, which is basically that in 1944 when the Soviets were pushing into Europe after defeating the Germans in Stalingrad, the Polish underground resistance movement attempted a nation-wide revolt against the Nazis in an attempt to regain control of Warsaw so as to better combat the Axis later on and control the city before Soviet troops could occupy and 'liberate' Poland from the Nazis. The plan was called Operation Tempest and began on "W-Hour" on August 1st. It was meant to only last a few days, but ended up lasting 63 days until the Polish surrendered. During that time, the plan was reworked to rely on expected Soviet aid, but the Soviets stopped short of the city for most of the uprising and even when pushing into the city did not come close to the insurgency or aid it in any way, some say as part of Stalin's plan to force the Poles to fail and strengthen Soviet influence over Poland.

But what makes this unique from your average WWII film is that everything is all fancy robotic steam/cyberpunk. The Germans are primarily depicted as super-robots and power-suited soldiers, with giant killer cyber tanks that slaughter mercilessly. The Polish underground seem to be depicted as normal WWII-era citizens, sometimes with a seemingly more 'punk' look to them.

It's interesting to note that this film is working to be historically accurate and is working/produced in part with the Warsaw Rising Museum to do just that.

Official Website: (Polish Placeholder)
    http://hardkor44.pl/

Concept art: (some are real large)
    http://warczyk.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/04.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

COPY PASTE FROM FACEPUNCH ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

media tags dont work here

3. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

You barge into my thread to tell me this?
    :o

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i wanted to add that i like the idea and that i am a fan of steampunk etc, but then didnt because the images are so slow to load, and will reply when i watched all of them

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Uhh...I'm not into steampunk, but wtf?

The Nazis were human beings like the rest of us. The general soldiers were not evil muderers. Misguided? No doubt. But they didn't just kill people. The SS is a VERY different story.

It's easy to make them seem like horrible monsters, because that's more digestible - I mean, who would WANT to believe that we - human beings - were (are?) capable of something so barbaric - killing millions of people.

WWII and the holocaust are not fair tales....and should not be viewed as such. Remember what happened, and learn from it. Don't repeat...

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well spoken

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

side note: germans also used prisoners as soldiers in this uprising , and i think they were the worst kind

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Nice drawings and so on but uprising was completely retarded and had no chances of winning so it is celebrating the moment when you got your ass kicked.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

30% of Germans voted for NSDAP. What were they? Misguided? That's piece of crap, they were adult and they knew that getting rid of Jews (& others) doesn't mean moving them all to Madagascar. Not that I have anything specifically about Germans, nationalism looks the same everywhere.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the original plan was to move them to states that did not oppose a jew influx

the base plan was revised 3 times during hitlers time of power, each plan had the intent to be the final plan, or at least (plan 2) until the end of the war (plan 2 was supposed to relocate them to non-german territory after the war)

plan 1; deportation

the surrounding states closed borders to germany pretty quickly because of the influx of jews being treated the same as the influx of mexicans at the american mexican border

plan 2; herding up in gettoes, basically making "jew cities" inside other cities, locking them off and providing them with food as to control them (and to make people in Germany get disgusted from "how the jews lived in these camps even if they got food and shelter", and "they turned into savages pretty fast once they can no longer parasite on germany" as it was told in propaganda

plan 3; destruction of the jews in nazi germany

basically... hitler was not some kind of monster that rose into power with the help of the German people worshipping him like some satanic cult

it was actually a more gradual shift from an extremistic but still taken serious party that can be found in every country today, and the German people failed to act when things got out of hand, making the leading figures only to go a little further next time

moral of the story should be "its gonna happen again sooner or later, please act differently and keep your eyes open and clear from propaganda next time" in stead of "lets never let that happen again" since people are inherently flawed in the larger the pack of people, the lower the average IQ and only time stops people from being tricked into a dictatorship like hitler again

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

to suggest that the germans didn't share the anti-semitic sentiment with their leadership is pretty fucking ignorant. even wagner (famous 19th century german composer) was a venomous anti-semite. Hitler was a figurehead for the brewing anti-semitism that had been in germany for the last thousand years. Hitler was democratically elected.

also, FUCK YEAH EVIL STEAMPUNK NAZIS!!!

12. flasche

strange only that the NSDAP didnt use much antisemitc propaganda before they got to power. they mainly were anti-communist, anit-weimar and promised jobs and a way out of the crysis ...

when they tried the first time it was exactly their antisemitic resentment that kept ppl away from them.

read "mein kampf" its all in there ;)

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I really suspect that you have never read Mein Kampf. The thesis of Mein Kampf was that there was some sort of Jewish conspiracy to take over the world and that Judaism was at least on par with Communism as far as what Hitler considered threatening to German national security. The book was published before the 1930's and every card-carrying party member would have had one in his pocket.

Anti-semitism was reaching a feverish pitch at this time in German history; the great depression hit Germany harder than any other western European country and the Germans had centuries of anti-semitic thought to draw upon when deciding their scapegoat.

14. flasche

nah you misunderstood - ofc hitler and the rest of the NSDAP was very antisemitic. and darwinism and its offspring racism/racial theory was considered proofed fact.

still, in their election campaign nazis intentionally left antisemitsm out or they wouldnt have gained enough votes to get rid of the parliament ... thats what hitler wrote in "mein kampf". believe me when i said i read something, i read something ... ;)

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I distinctly recall that Hitler outlined several anti-semitic points such as expelling and stripping citizenship of jews in his plan to run the government in Mein Kampf. He also said that if only a few thousand jews would die, all of his sacrifices would not have been in vain. Being in his book, all of this information would have been public knowledge to the Germans at the time. If the Germans were opposed to anti-semitism, they would have necessarily expelled him permanently from German government and incarcerated or exiled him. They weren't, though; in fact they approved of it, and that's why he remained in power until it was too late. I can assure you that in any other democratic country (as Germany was at this time) a person like this would have never gotten anywhere near a governing position like Hitler did.

16. flasche

yes i know - but tho everyone had to have the book (ofc only after he got to power) i doubt many read it. and if, none of them could use the common excuse "i didnt know it" ;)

still, before the elections in 1933 they intentionally left antisemism out and focused on versailles, unemployment and the weimar republic and its parties that ripped eachother appart ...

17. REX

REX Member

Looks nice and all..... but that picture of the resistance guy hurts my brain. I dont care much about realism, but believability is necessary for me to be able to get good immersion.

WHY! is there a belt and a mag on that MG?
    something like that will always distract me and make me think of other things.... like dont they know anything about guns?

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You could always throw them at the enemy...

19. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

there are REAL guns that can be both magazine and belt fed.

20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

The (cancelled) XM8 was one I believe, primarily because it was was a modular design that could be configured as a carbine, a compact carbine (SMG like usage), a sharpshooter variant, and an automatic rifle (MG like usage).