Dr Chris's Spiffy Particles

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', Sep 22, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I criticise other people because I assume they can't think of deficiencies, I don't criticise people who obviously do good work because I know they can already think of what's wrong with it.

If I can think of criticisms for other people's work I can obviously do the same for my own.

And yes I am hypocritical a lot of the time, it's one of the perks of being me, you are of course free to complain and praise and suggest things as much as you want but I am certainly not going to listen to any of it.

2. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Then why did you respond to my first post?

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Because I'm a kind and caring soul who doesn't like to see other people wasting time they could be using in gainful pursuits due to some bizzare belief that I am going to pay attention to their ideas.

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Pwnd. Your playing his game dude.
    Dealing with chris is a delicate endevour. He wont do anything he dosent want to. Especialy for people on the internet. In stead if you want him to make changes simply show him images of what you want and let him decide. Otherwise he'll lock harder and harder untill you are a nolonger valued as entertainment to him.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Vess every time you've tried that I've said no, the few instances in which you have insisted have lead me to either repeat myself or tell you to get stuffed.

It is not a partiuclarly effective strategy.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

*HUGS EVERYONE*

for crying out loud, be nicer for your fellow man please please :(

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

tl ; dr

first version of particles was nice, not cpu hungry, only veh mgs were ridiculous

newest version looks way better, but its so fucking demanding that its not worth it (or more likely, combined with empires code)

also, they still sometimes turn in black-purple chessboard

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hi Chris.

9. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Apparently you missed the "let him decide" part.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Only if your computer is a piece of shit.

And only if you installed it wrong.

11. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

To be honest, all I smell is rage. You would only respond to my reply without a quote if you did it on impulse, it's not like you.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Upgrade your computer, because it works amazing now, and the laggy grey smoke is gone and now I only lag when the server was set up wrong. It's not Chris' fault your computer CAN'T HANDLE THE POWAH!!!!

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

gaaaaaay

j/k. we wuv everyone

14. Z100000M

i have a clocked a e8400 and a gtx280, you go upgrade yours

also as i said and you didnt notice ( not much of a suprise ) ill explain it for the "for idiots " way)

mine wanilla empires doesnt get below 100 under any circumstances on classics, 70 on clusterfuck inf maps, and with particles its respectfull 30 and 14

and im talking ONLY gun particles, i did not touch building ones because i like empty ones better.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Clock the proc further...even my Q6600 overclocked couldn't feed my GTX280 fast enough.

I've no clue how efficient the particle effects are, but my advice is to look in the direction of your processor.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Everyone blames the predecessor when they have speed issues. Did anyone think to look at there memory speed vs how much more the MB could/can't do?

Also perhaps the MB can't compete with the memory, cpu, or video card. THAT seems more likely to me since a person is far more likely to update any of those 3 rather then there MB considering replacing any of the 3 take a minute to do and replacing a MB could take 10-30 mins and cost a pretty penny.

17. Demented

Demented Member

In order to suffer a bottleneck, when it comes to motherboard or memory benchmarks, you'd probably need something so bad that nobody with any good sense would try to benchmark it. Hence I haven't seen any benchmarks where those two could bottleneck any game. Games just don't depend on those like other programs might.

He's got an E8400, which is 3.0ghz to your 2.4ghz by default. Sure, you have two more cores, but get this... Empires and the Source SDK Base are single-threaded!! Or pretty much so. I didn't see Empires using much of anything on my second core.

I'm pretty sure Z installed something badly. Ain't nothin' should be purple.
    (I also tested chris' particles, and aside from his excessively dense muzzle flash there didn't seem to be anything wrong. Though I honestly couldn't tell you if it caused a performance problem... I get 10-20 fps by default.)

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what part of a computer can be named "predecessor"
    do you mean the cpu?

can you call it predecessor too? ive never herd of that term

19. Demented

Demented Member

Those kids and their newfangled terminolology (sic)!

On completely unrelated note....

I attached a screenshot below, you'll see that I altered one of the starting colors of the smoke particles from (210 255 0) to (255 192 64).
    It's the only thing I changed, any other differences are just camera inconsistency.

Compare at will. (All due apologies for the KFC reference.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  20. Z100000M

i understand things particles this may slow the game A BIT, but my cpu is just fine, so its not my "crappy hw" problem. Also my even if (and its not) my cpu was shit, that wouldnt explain the chessboard.

so please keep yourself to your lawn