NF command vehicle bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vulkanis, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Recon has a point, parenting a no build zone below the CV(s) could well fix this. If there's a no build zone, the turret won't place and the crosshair would turn to the blocked symbol, so you couldn't build anything there.

Also, I've seen dief manage to stick the BE CV on a camera before, so maybe add one to that.

2. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

OP - if you aren't an experienced enough comm to take down a turret under you, you aren't an experineced enough comm to deserve to be using it on the front lines.

If you are going to use *the* *only* important vehicle/anything in the game as a front line bulldozer, then learn one of two things:

Either A, learn to ge tin the comm as an engineer / riflemen with your grenade equiped, so if you get stuck you can get out, pop ur grenade, get in, and leave when teh turret blows up.

Or B, learn how to drive the damn thing, especially as a scout with scout speed. If you cant drift over engineers in such a way that they can't turret you, you are doing it wrong.

I feel these features are a nessecary balance to the NF CVs additional push value.

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Both CVs can push people, NFs can push maybe a few more but you never usually need to except the start of the game.

Also its not driving over turrets and getting stuck, its that a ninjaneer sneaks in when your comm view is on the other side of the map. He proceeds to stick an MG turret under you and builds it.
    This turret is fully effective with a 360 degree range, also your CV can't move. When you're trapping the NF comm this is much more effective than walls since it is harder to decon and will shoot at any rescuers.

Also greifers can do the same, and if the turret gets damaged a little bit, it's unrecyclable too IIRC.

All together its a shitty way to die and has lost quite a few games for me, especially when the BE comm is free from these problems. The BE CV can be used to block turret fire too, where the NF CV is more of a liability because you cant see the turret shooting you through its wheels.

NF CV can't fit through a few places too, like the bridges in crossroads and things like that. IMO it needs a total redesign because it looks shitty compared to the BE CV too.

4. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

How about making the CVs not collide with turrets and cameras, or else just break them or be hovered over them or something?

EDIT: Yeah, the NF CV is really big, to the point where it actually matters which team you're commanding.

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Will require someone to go in and change the models: see art team

The art team may take a shot at balancing this.
    Its in with the aircraft...

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

How about we shrink the NF CV a bit and get rid of those huge wheels and replace them with low tracks?

This way the CV could still drive over stuff with ease even it is still quite big and because tracks wouldn't lift the chassis so high in the air, you couldn't place any turrets under it either.

7. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

-Tracks are harder to model AFAIK.
    -Makes for worse handling?
    -LOOKS much worse, because tracks belong on N.F. tanks and such.
    -Shrinking the wheels would do the same thing as putting tracks on the CV (lowering it)

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

I'd rather scale down the CV which would reduce a great deal of balance issues derived from attempting asymmetrical teamplay.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

In mvalley, I ran to NF base, in the SW, put an MG under their CV and killed a total of 11 people before I died. Other people killed more. As much as I love doing that against NF, I think it's an unfair and poorly thought-out difference in team balance between NF and BE.

10. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Instead of lower/expand the hitbox maybe the hitbox can be changed, so that the NV CV can drive over turrets and cameras?
    The place under the CV seems to be big enough for me.

11. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

hmmm, I find it to not really hinder me at all -_-.

Also, as for griefing the comm with a turret, that is what admins need to be on for, you cant recycle a team members turret anyways.

Also, you can do the same to the BE comm with a camera. Even if you lower the NF comm, a camera will become the new way to do it.

Unless there are no build zones under both comms, I don't see the imbalance.

FINALLY; if you are complaining an engineer put a turret under you while your comm view was across the map... yea, you damn well deserve it. I wish 9-mining was still implemented in the game, because it really forced people to fucking protect their comm instead of just forgetting about it. If you have your comm, near an enemy engineer, whether he got behind your lines or you are up near the front lines, either way it is your fault. Just because its a turret instead of walls, doesn't make it a bug, it means you just failed as a commander ^_^.

Comms, always have an engineer place a camera near you, always check yourself for ninjaneers, etc. etc. Comming doesn't absolve you from the need to defend yourself, you still need to do that, and I personally like game mechanics that encourage that.

Remember, ninjaneers have much better options available to them assuming this "bug" gets fixed. They can still place walls. They can still squad rev a squad next to you. They can still build a barracks. And yea, they can still place the turret betwene you and your barracks. Fixing this 'bug' just changes the favorite tactic, it won't solve your problem.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats so QFT'd

13. Demented

Demented Member

Attempted to test the camera thing, but it doesn't seem to work. Nothing will place underneath the BE comm, at least from the front or back. The sides weren't that promising either.

Placing walls or wedging a com in with both a camera and turret take time and work against both vehicles.

NF just seems to get the brunt of the 'let's make things asymmetrical and balance them by making models we won't be able to get changed for years' philosophy.

14. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I don't mean I drove over the turret I mean it was literally placed under me.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  15. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

*Applauds* Thank you for realizing this! ^^

16. flasche

most just found your "bug report" so redicolous because its such a well known "feature", not because noone noticed this before.
    just a few versions back comms had to care for their cvs - one gren too close to you for a few seconds meant you lost. im still still paranoid and permanently look for ninjas.
    i dont try to talk the imbalance away, but you shouldnt only watch people kill stuff, your job also is to care about the command vehicles safety. so its not only the fault of the imbalance but yours too.
    most comms manage to not get stuck even with the nf cv.
    as its health got so redicolously increased and the new treat are scouts (which alone cant harm you anyway) comms start get careless and distracted by watching ppl fight.

but yeah, new nf cv would be great - its also a bitch when mapping ... ;)

17. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

right, exactly. if boomtanking wasn't intended, then I'm sorry, but then we are talking about ninjas. If you got ninja'd by anyone that is your fault, not the fault of the CV. Just an extra 2 seconds, and what isn't a turret under the NF CV, could have instead been walls around the NF CV, you can't blame that on this 'bug', as if those two seconds were what killed you, not the fact that you weren't watching your CV.

Ninjas are a good mechanic in empires... and the CVs are extremely durable again, which is good. I really really like the balance here now, good comms and good ninjas have very balanced fights.

18. flasche

you just dont get it ...

WE ALL KNOW about that "feature" - even devs prolly have realized that by now. if you would have read my post, you would have saved some time on replying with this blahblah as i added "but yeah, new nf cv would be great - its also a bitch when mapping"

i just tried to explain to you why we found it so hilarious as "bug report".

srsly, reading comprehension, R E A D I N G C O M P R E H E N S I O N :rolleyes:

19. flasche

"feature" not feature ... :rolleyes:

20. Kane

Kane Member

Add 9mining back but change the weight of nf cv so it's too heavy to flip?