ESG #1: Did you have have fun happy times?

Discussion in 'General' started by John Shandy`, Sep 21, 2009.

1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I was only in for the final 3 rounds of the ESG last night, but my team won each of those three, and I comm'd a victory on the third, with full plasma research. It was awesome, and I had fun each round, even the non-ESG follow-up round on Rainbow Road was pretty fun.

Did you enjoy it, or do you have tales of your victories/defeats?

/discuss

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Empty

Empty Member

It was full when I tried to join.

[insert empty rant here]

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

I had a reserved slot. I thought it was very very fun!

4. communism

communism poof

It was horrible, probably the most unfun thing I have ever done

5. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

no more plasma rushes

although fun, it's too laggy and it's almost like flipping a coin to see who wins

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yeah, the only issue was the lag. I'd like to see how matches would be with less tanks, only a few APCs. Large-scale infantry battles fed with logistical APCs would be very interesting.

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Need a poll.

Also, it was fun.

8. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I gotta be a hater and say I thought it sucked. I had to mute about five people within two minutes of the first game (something I almost never have to do) as they were just talking crap. The com couldn't hear me asking for ref because some guys were making crap jokes about Jews or something. I thought a game filled with old pros would mean people acted more seriously? Guess not.

Our first com had no mic. I mean, seriously, WTF?

Also disappointing was no-one was using squad tactics. I kept asking my squad leader what we we doing. No reply. Most squads were scattered.

I thought the point of this thing was we only had people who know how to and want to play properly? It just felt like a fuck-around most of the time.

(I miss my old EVE Online CEO. He was ex-army. If anyone started talking about anything on the combat channel other than the situation at hand or acted unprofessionally in any way, they got yelled at: "CLEAR. FUCKING. COMS. NOW!!!" He had this way of making us all feel like naughty children. Made HSM look like a noob at yelling)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Can't say I remember this plasma rush round, was there another round after the initial 3? I thought it was over after that, people were saying it was over so I left :S

Anyways, I thought the first 3 rounds were great. Shout out to all the BSID comms, won every game of the ESG (that I was aware of).

I was disappointed though with the opposition. Even with the opposing Jipple stack, the enemy team only felt slightly more resistant than usual. I didn't see enemy lines sometimes, didn't get harrassed by good enemy squad work, and didn't have to really organize my team to do much of the same either. I won with mostly pub tactics, half modified for more skilled players, which worked damn well. Although I did recognize squad leaders on my team organizing their lines sometimes, that was very nice to see (OUNIN WALLS OWNIN').

So yea, what happened to skilled members? I went 100% thinking it would be a good fight, I found the result less than satisfactory.

I guess I'll be comming against my clan mates from now on, although I'd prefer to train our privates directly, it seems too easy.

10. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Need more euros :(

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I was on the losing team almost every single time. Mic spam was almost unbearable (by mic spam I mean general worthless chatter). Sadly, JPL stack doesn't mean anything anymore, in case you haven't noticed (I auto assigned anyway, so I wasn't ever trying to join one team or another). We had a series of reluctant comms/lulz comms that basically doomed us from the beginning of every round. If the admins want to keep this from turning into the pug 3.0 they're going to have to moderate things very intensively.

12. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Hopefully we can get Trickster to arrange a 64-player pug on the g4tc server, with times that let both american and european players participate.

13. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Obviously, you were not on my team those rounds. Anyone else notice how ALL the clan memebers were on one side for the first three rounds? Coincidence? Seriously there is this thing called an Auto-Assign Button. USE IT MOTHERFUCKERS!

Yup, that was my experience. Getting fucked every round because of idiots on my team. Again, I thought the whole point of ESG is not to have to play with idiots and incompetent coms?

14. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Oh, you guys are so bitter. It was fun. A lot of great people showed up and fun rounds ensued.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That wasn't happening on my team, since I didn't allow it.

There were admins on your team so... If they weren't doing their job, then that's something we'll need to take care of.

There isn't a time for both euro and US players that works. If we decide to make one for euro players (which I seriously doubt), it's going to be a time that won't work for US players.

That happened the first round, before I had a chance to switch people.

16. o_O

o_O Member

There were 'stax' but they werent that bad. I specifically remember carbine whoring my way through Jipples and Bsids with Bsids and epics in my squad. The imbalance problem was really just that every round after the first one, one side had a comm that thought yet another plasma MG rush was going to work. Every one of those games would have been won with DU, btw.

Lag was awful in the rounds that lasted long enough for both teams to make tanks. Especially in the first round, once both teams had ~8 tanks out the server lag just ground everything down to half speed.

17. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Plasma MG rush? Fuck yeah.

18. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Of course there is. If the time is around 11-12 GMT both americans and europeans should be able to participate if they wanted. By putting it at 04:00 -06:00 european time is quite unjust.

But if there will be an european one (which you seriously doubt?) I don't care, I just want to play some interesting games.

19. Deiform

Deiform Member

Interesting games usually involve clans. We could play about with BSID + CW vs. EPIC + JPL or something to get a bigger game. Ofc this won't involve pubbers, but this is the kinda thing you'll be looking for.

20. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'll do EPIC vs all if numbers are even. Get the best of every clan you want, put them together, and do a 15v15 vs EPIC. I'm totally up for that.

But on a more viable note, I may do one for euros, but even then, Sonecha has the times right. Maybe even an hour or 2 earlier.

We still get US guys playing, just not the West Coasters as much. And you can be certain there are more euros than west coast americans, so it would be easy. I just want to get some clan matches done first. Then yeh, I'll consider it. Or maybe even alongside it, seeing as clan matches are over before 11, it shouldn't be a problem. Lets see how the next one goes.

And @Cpatton, if you want a proper challenge, how about scrimming us again considering you lost last time, seeing as that JPL scrim you said was happening didn't happen.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009