Moving Buildings and Legos

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by DonMegel, Aug 29, 2009.

1. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

I was working with Vess the other night trying to come up with a good land battleship and he brought up the sketch he made for the NF barracks that was a huge vehicle. It got me thinking.

Why not make most NF buildings move and make BE buildings quick to build/tear down?

Hear me out.

The NF would have a mobile rax and armory. I think the VF is just too large to move. The moving buildings can be locked by the com to prevent people from driving off with them. They would be slow but sturdy and have light MGs that people could take control of and use. Could even have moving refinerys that deploy on top of a res node but could be pulled up and moved.

The BE buildings, however, look much more modular, almost like legos. Its easy to imagine BE buildings coming in crates and getting put up in hours or taken down in the same amount of time. So, why not make BE buildings, again, the rax and the armory, get built fast and deconstructed fast. Let the com recycle one of those two for a full refund, as if taking it down to move it. To prevent griefing perhaps only allow a rax to be built within so many feet of an existing BE building.

Thoughts?

2. Empty

Empty Member

This is just ridiculous.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

So, we should make some sort of vehicle that dispenses ammo and health to the NF team? and acts as a mobile spawn point!? and giving it an MG!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sounds like an APC ^_^

I would prefer that buildings stay more of a permanent fixture as they are now. Perhaps just rework the apc's to be lockable. And also, having the NF have a mobile tank for a barracks while BE can spam barracks' all over doesn't seem quite right.

mainly because such a target for NF will be quickly shot down by grens, and BE can place buildings fast anyhow.

I dunno, just seems overly complex, and slows down NF while speeding up BE, in a game where speed can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

*edit*

Feels like i'm being trolled >_>

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Mashav

Mashav Member

I remember when It came up here. Still all I can think of is wanting to sneak up on a camping scout with a rax and run him over...

5. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

This! It would stop all the people from rushing out into the open with spawnable APCs, losing the forward spawn point

6. Demented

Demented Member

This is not Supreme Commander.

With that in mind, SupCom 2 will rock the Casbah.

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Yeah I especially like how Vess so wanted
    access to the arteam forum, means WORKING IN A TEAM
    and in the next minute he makes stuff without us
    (like you) so their will be never ever a complete and continuous art style.

8. Demented

Demented Member

That's what you get for dealing with artists, Mayama.
    You're supposed to treat them like cats; give them whiskas and cages, and maybe pet them once in a while so they don't develop neurosis.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

This art team thing makes me drink twice the coffee i usually do.
    Lets see how long it takes til I start to smoke again.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Giant vehicles would need their own animation system to look half decent, and I don't see what it would add, if you can place them anywhere people would just do that, if you couldn't, it would give the NF a major disadvantage because they can't build bases quickly.

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Sounds like Starcraft. But we are not Blizzard and so I have some doubts that we will be able to balance this. Especially it will be very hard to find a balance for every map.
    But else it sounds interessting.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Why not balancing and enhance the existing game bevor we place
    another layer of imbalanceable crap on top of it?!

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Sounds like c&c 4.

14. Empty

Empty Member

CnC after RA2 = Shit.
    Therefore CnC4 = Shit
    Therefore:

15. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

Altough huge mobile barracks sound awesome, I don't see this working in game.(Altough it would make the mod REALLY awesome).

"Some noob drove the Barracks into the water, GG."

16. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

The commander should control these "vehicles" if anyone.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

You guys are both sitting in Irc together. Mayama, stop spamming this thread and chat with him...

18. o_O

o_O Member

Epic idea but it would be a nightmare to drive. From what I hear vehicles can't have a high horsepower AND slow speed because stuff crashes. They would either have to be Standard Engine Jeep fast OR be absolutely unable to climb anything at all, and they would get stuck any time a wheel touched a hill or obstacle. Basically, they could only travel on flat land unless you pushed them with the comm vehicle :)

Or they could fly like in starcraft... and could be made into blimps to explain the flying... and could have cannons along the side to defend them selves from other blimbs... and ref points could be put in clouds to make use of the third dimension...

19. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Personally? I don't care what others say, I think this would be awesome. I would even suggest something else: If possible, make it so the mobile structures can be built in the VF (but give the comm the option to disable this.)

Sort of like, um, APCs.

I think it would be interesting to see how the game develops if players had more power in placing structures. Perhaps immobilize the initial rax, to prevent griefing and early-game rushes. I don't think people driving other raxes into the water would be a big deal, though, since it's no different than driving an APC into the water.

...honestly, just making it so APCs are deployed and the comm can lock them would be good.

But moving buildings do have a ZOMG AWESOME factor that's hard to deny.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ah now that idea does have a certain merit.

It is possibly the first method of placing structures without requiring the commander that I think could work.

It still has the problems I listed before, but that is certainly a reason to do it.

Only thing is, BE would need to do it too.

I'd love to get rid of the comm, only thing is I always figured you'd never be able to find a way to get players to place structures.

You could even tie it in with personal cash, players can buy a structure and get a steady although minor income as it gets used, that would give them an incentive to protect it and buy it in the first place.

I realise you probably don't want to drop the comm, but as a means to that end I would support the idea of buyable vehicle structures for both teams. BE could just buy construction vehicles which can drive and deploy into structures, whereas NF would be more along the lines of 'the vehicle is the structure' for most of its stuff.