Make ammoboxes destroyable and recycleable

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -=]Kane[=-, Aug 17, 2009.

1. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

It`s annoying to have an ammobox in the way if you try to drop a ref or whatever as commander, if one of a griefer or one of an enemy doesnt matter,
    also give the engeneer a recyclebutton like the one of the turret and cam,
    I would say the "HP" of the ammobox should be 1,5*the "HP" from turrets and its resistance vs gunfire and melee should be between that from turrets and cams
    Recycletime from commander around ~5 sec

Pro: Less possibility to grief, and ammoboxes are not meant to block refspots or whatever spots
    And less use of ammoboxes as cover

Con: New player might be confused that they can`t drop an ammobox after they recycle their old one until the timelimit runned down

2. o_O

o_O Member

YES, I don't see why a whole squad should be prevented from building a ref just because an enemy ammoz box is sitting on it. They should have alot of health but negative meelee resistance, if possible, so you can't nade spam them down accidentaly but can just smash an abandoned one.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

It would be cool if tanks destroyed em if they ran em over too.

4. zenarion

zenarion Member

Hell yes. Some visuals to add to the effect, like a box of fireworks exploding, but doing no damage.
    Would like the boxes to be breakable, so that god damn NF engis cant just lie down behind one, and be indestructable.

5. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Here's what I don't want to have happen:

My team screams for ammo.

I run in and drop an ammo box.

One lucky grenade, mortar, spray of bullets, or LT hits it and blows it up.

My team keeps screaming at me for ammo and we all get killed.

I don't think it would be a good idea to make it harder to supply ammo to your teammates, basically. Supplying ammo to your teammates is something we want to encourage, not discourage, and if ammo boxes can be blown up, it becomes much less productive to just drop one near the front lines.

IMHO it would be better just to have comm-dropped structures ignore them and clip through them, or to have comm-dropped structures remove ammo boxes that get in their way, without making them vulnerable to anything else.

If people really hate them providing cover, just change them in some other way. Make them smaller or something (but maybe with an indicator to make them easier to see.) But I'd worry that making them destructable would cause problems and frustration when trying to drop one for your team, especially if they don't defend it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

@aquillon it seems like you havent read my post completly, I suggested HP 1,5 times of an turret, if you really want to get ammo from this ammobox which is under fire and, most likely, smaller than you, gl ;)
    Maybe higher resistance vs grenades wouldnt be too bad though ...

7. Kane

Kane Member

Let's make them, if, only decon-able

8. Icefrenzy_TKER

Icefrenzy_TKER Member

More ammo boxes if ranked

Ya this is an great suggestion i suggest ammo boxes to be recyclelable and destroyable so it wont take long to replace one.....also just like the turrets and walls the engineers should also able to drop 2 boxes if they get higher ranks.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

srsly, you never used ammoboxes for cover?

IMBA - rethink

10. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

lol maybe ammoboxes need to be built too

11. flasche

i see no reason why they shouldnt be removeable (or at least not interfere with building placement)

but anything that resets the cooldown timer is a nono

12. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Yes I`ve used the NF ammobox as cover, BUT is it there for cover?
    NO first of all its an AMMOBOX!!! Most filled ammoboxes are high explosive (in reality) so it doesnt make sense to use ammoboxes as cover anyway,
    second NF have an indestructible ammoboxcover which BE doesnt have, imbalanced *cough* so it needs to go if its not used for rearming soldiers, where my post had aimed at ... read it again ...:rolleyes:

13. Empty

Empty Member

If ammunitions storage is a balance issue in your game, you're doing it wrong.

14. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Unbalaced ammoz lol -_-
    Read the discussion it was about using the ammobox as cover, which is not an arguement since BE cant use theirs as cover

15. Demented

Demented Member

Apparently someone thought ammo was unbalanced; they nerfed it on the smg2.

16. flasche

Warning: Title contains unrelated text!

hey, hey, easy, i didnt say thats ok ... :eek: ^^ ;)

destroyable/recyleable ammoboxes would be fine as long they dont reset their cooldown timer (and yes i know you didnt suggest that :p )

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  17. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

But ammobox cover isn't really a big deal. You can do the same thing with walls -- how often does someone actually destroy the wall you're using as cover? And the wall will last forever, unlike the ammo box that will eventually disappear on its own. It can be destroyed with grenades, but the person behind a box or wall can also be destroyed with grenades, so that difference isn't big.

I just don't think it's a big enough deal to be worth doing anything that could potentially hurt ammo boxes when they're used the way they're supposed to be used.

Make the box smaller if you feel better. That'd be the best solution. Or make it so they don't block enemy fire at all. But making ammo boxes destructable would impact lots of other things for an issue that, IMHO, isn't worth changing any other part of the game over.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  18. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

You don`t like destructible ammoboxes thats k but smaller ammoboxes are not changing anything to the fact that they block an entire area for ref/rax/whatever drop, well contrawise, it would just make them smaller targets, and dont understand me wrong I dont want ammoboxes which get destroyed during a firefight... i want ammoboxes which can be destroyed if you spam bullets into them or if you decon them...

19. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

zomg balance ze ammoz

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

If people want them to not block building things, I think the most logical way to go about it would be to make them just not block building drops -- either remove them when a building is placed on them, or clip the building through them.

It just seems like a much more direct way to go about it.