Why the BE and NF have low-ish technology.

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by Maxaxle, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

SCREW ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

Considering it's around 1,000 years in the future (I think...), it never occured to me, why doesn't the B.E. has somewhat primitive tech. I understand that the N.F. is smaller, younger, and an uprising as opposed to a massive empire, but the B.E. seems to have no real excuse.

Excuses for the B.E. having low-ish technology:
    -It's cheap.
    -The B.E. is currently in a technological Dark Age.
    -Financial troubles back home.
    -The N.F. often sabotages the B.E.
    -The corporations who manufacture the B.E.'s equipment overprice things beyond belief.
    -White-collar crime and corruption haven't helped the B.E. at all.
    -The Emperor is completely corrupt and couldn't give half a rat's ass about the war, so long as he gets his expensive luxuries.

What do you think?

EDIT: ...Is it really 50 years...!??

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

there only about 50 years in the future in a different reality.

3. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

50!??? :o

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

[​IMG]

5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

No. Empires set set on a different world in a different universe. I set the Journals from the 83rd mini series in the year 3XXX, because Megel told me go ahead, theres no set year, use whatever you want.

Year is utterly irrelevant in Empires.

Edit: Also, the Empire is ruled by a queen. And she is apparently very passionate about ending the war and uniting the world into a single great empire. Don't know much else, there is very little official stuff regarding the queen.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  6. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Okay then, screw everything I said then.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I just go with 'it's the tech level the game is set at, therefore that is why they have it'.

8. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Stop being a troll and read the posts before your own, if not the latest post.:mad:

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What makes you think I didn't?

'Because the game requires it' is the reason for lots of things, such as why the two sides are perfectly balanced despite being ostensibly several decades apart in technology.

BE uses normal conventional technology because if they used death ray moon lasers it would be silly.

Some things are simply a result of the game being a game, and not a story, but stories have things like it as well, such as main character immortality.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

empires is primarily a game, and a story second

so basically you HAVE to have something to even out the powers of both factions or else the game is unbalanced

11. Alceister

Alceister Member

Stylistically, Empires feels like a tortured mix of near-future looks but with technology militarily equivalent to say, the 80's. But they don't mesh together.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't recall the eighties having plasma cannons, railguns, exploding machineguns, bio weapons and regenerating armor.

13. Alceister

Alceister Member

Explosive machine guns (read, autocannons, incendiary ammunition) and biological weaponry existed in the eighties and well before.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make here. We now have electronic red dot sights which greatly enhance a soldier's combat capability. In Empires, the high tech faction uses extremely crude and only mildly useful ironsights on their assault rifle. And the low tech faction is even worse: they basically use a cartoonish wire crosshair at the front with a little notch at the rear.

I suppose that's more of a quality issue though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

I think that cartoonish wire cross is more effective that the 'advanced' Imperial sights ;)

15. Alceister

Alceister Member

The sad thing is, it is.

16. Empty

Empty Member

People toss troll around so much.
    I don't think any of you have any idea of what it even means.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

for all we know they could have had 2 dark ages instead of 1 and still are crawling out of it

its an alternate dimension, anything could have happened, for all we know they could still be cavemen even if they where a gazillion years in the future

18. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

A cataclysm destroyed the ancient world. As not many know, res nodes are ventilation shafts for the planets molten core. The heat and pressure coming from the core carries very valuable minerals from inside the earth and embeds them in the shaft walls. Refineries mine these walls for the mineral. The civilizations of the ancient world recognized the value of this rare mineral, even if they had no idea about any of the stuff I just mentioned. I never did ask what caused the cataclysm, or maybe there was no information to tell me, but my guess is after thinking they had harvested all the minerals of a shaft (by hand, no machinery), they blocked it off to mark it as empty. Over time, enough of these shafts venting the core became blocked to create a massive pressure bomb out of the planet. Eventually the pressure created its own way out, rupturing the planets crust, and creating earthquakes. Since this is venting the molten core, I would guess that some areas got hit harder than other as magma found its way to the surface.

This event pretty much destroyed a civilized age similar to our middle ages, sending them back to the stone age. No one knew what caused it, and they were terrified a god was angry at them, so it took a while for them to reach a similar spot again.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually those silly big crosshairs are still in use as far as I know, they were used on airplane guns in WW2 and I think some soviet-esque helicopter weapons still use them.

20. Alceister

Alceister Member

They're a lot more complicated than a set of "silly big crosshairs". They're concentrically ringed, and anyhow, they actually have a proper back sight for what is essentially an elabourate ring sight.