[2.25]Non-Balance changes

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mashav, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

There is probably at least one thing that each person who players want's that has nothing to do with the balance of the game. From more options for map makers, to more diverse scripting ability for those of us who like to tinker, to in menu binds for squad powers. Things that allow the expansion of parts of the game, weather or not they are used any time soon.

Any of these would be low priority in the grand scheme of things, so that actual balance changes would take priority.

For myself I would like to see:

Allowing one research to complete another.
    Allowing one research to disable certain weapons, armours, engines or chassis.
    Allow researches to change any value in the scripts ("Script""name" "section""name" "value""#")
    Add actual changeable values for infantry grenades/mines in the scripts.(damage, radius, inertia, etc.)
    Add a "sticky" yes/no for all grenades(vehicle included)
    Add "radius" "weapon force" "weapon radius" "speed" to Mortar and RPG ("Turning Ability" for RPG as well)
    Add a "projectiles" to vehicle weapons (like "Bullets" in infantry weapons)
    Allow Vehicle weapons fire rate to go down to 0.
    Separate weapon characteristics into several variables(projectile type, recoil, slot type)
    Up the max amount of research items (128->250ish)
    Add a "Secondary fire" none/melee/scope to infantry guns
    Rename "infantry_resists", "infantry_stats" and add "health", "speed", "stamina", "stamina regen" and "slot 1(2,3,4) weapon"
    Add a "Affect buildings" and "cumulative" yes/no to bio weapons
    Allow "Projectile Spread" to affect homing missiles that are not locked(odd that it does affect locked missles...)
    Make engi tool "damage" be the decon amount
    Add the stats for turrets somewhere in the scripts (view range, damage, fire rate, track time, turning speed etc.)
    Add a "ammo replenish rate" to vehicle weapons and "ammo replenish amount" to all weapons
    Add a "automatic replenish rate"("ammo replenish amount" automatically restored per "automatic replenish rate" interval; essentially engi tool like replenishment as a possibility for all weapons/enableable with research)
    Add "cycle animation time" and "reload animation time" to allow speeding up or slowing down of reloading and the cycle animation(last mainly for rpg and mortar)
    Move skills to scripts(one can dream:|ove:)

Is there any other "behind the scenes" changes that anyone else would like to see for 2.25 or later?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Personally, i don't see a single thing in there that would be helpfull. Most of that would be drastic gameplay changes that a server can force on people.

What good would all this be?

Now for certain research to trigger stuff, an output ability once something is researched, now that would be helpfull

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

drastic? This would be nice in some ways.

This is needed imo.

I guess he is thinking of some way to disable a tanks weapons.

I duno about that...I would only want this for bio weapons but ehh.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well thought out suggestion in my oppinion.

its nothing that changes balance, but allows to easily tweak it from outside the game, which seems to be impossible atm because certain features are hardcoded.
    this would not only be a nice improvement for "those of us who like to tinker", it would be a lot better aproach as whole and allow to release "vanilla" balancing patches even quicker.

i always wondered if there are technical reason why some things got hardcoded in the first way?!

anyway it will probably need a lot of recodeing. but if empires really gets rewritten as whole this totaly should be considered.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  5. Drag

Drag Member

SVN version allows disabling of vehicle weapon both by map config (single weapons and research disabling possible)

Also allows obsoletion of vehicle weapons via research.

6. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

How does a weapon being obsolete stop people from using it for the "lols"?

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

What do you mean by this?
    Actually this was to allow "shotgun weapons" as an alternative to "projectiles"(so one could be completed without the other). It would also allow weapons to fire faster then 0.1 (which is the limit right now). This just adds accessible flexibility, like the rest of these are supposed to.

Default would be no different then it is now for any of these. It would just mean that they could be changed easily if it was wanted.

I know about that, and think its awesome, but weapons are only the second most important to be disable on my list.

Chassis first (why have mkIIs and mkIs availiable at the same time?) weapons second (upgraded can just be a replacement) Armour third (Anti specific or just improved armours) engines forth (cold fusion engine?)

8. Drag

Drag Member

If they can't choose it, they can't use it.

9. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

What i meant was say i research heavies, i want a building to pop up in response to it for what ever reason.

You're idiotic commander didn't research stuff that would work with it and is cheaper to buy the mkI

for completey replacing armours to ones that you think are better? Isn't it the whole point on why we have different kinds is to go against the weapon the enemy is useing, like absorbant against missles are what ever is good agianst certain weapons.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't think any of the armors are worse than paper in any way, so you could get rid of that. Reactive might be a problem in rare instances where the weight forbids some weapon usage but for that you could just take fewer plates.

11. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

OK, i can see paper being removed as soon as other armors are researched

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

stuff like removing mkI's as soon as mk2's come out seems more then logical to me.

13. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Empires was originally built by a coding noob who was learning to code by making this mod. Thus, good dynamic style wasn't understood until it was too late.

Anyways, I'd really like most of these. Sure it will take some time to get in, but they'll give a much better framework for modifications in the future.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

"Newbie" would be a better term. Krenzo never was and never will be a noob in coding :)

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

From the perspective of someone who is also scripting, I can say this:

Some of Mashav's points are very specific, i.e. for his scripts specifically, so I don't see a use for them myself, but I do see a use for some of them.

I personally would like the ability to add vehicle stalling from specific weapons, as well as particle effects moved over to the PCFs, combined with the fact that we could use PCFs for every particle effect currently in the game, as well as scripting abilities to add new ones. And this is more important than any of Mashav's suggestions IMO. Let's make the game look good.

16. Deiform

Deiform Member

What exactly do we call our scripting, because it's not exactly scripting in coding terms like Python or LUA....

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Fucking around with values in text files and looking at the hilarious results?

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Pretty much that.

19. Drag

Drag Member

I drink to that, no talent required!

20. Deiform

Deiform Member

Here's some additions that would be nice:

* Engine script heat reversing value (0 = heat to target as normal, 1 = additional cooling when hit by weapons)
    * Grenade detonation timer in scripts
    * Physical properties of grenades (bouncy, slide, etc.)
    * Detonation timer of shells and missles (0 = no detonation until impact)