Late Game Researches

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by o_O, Jul 30, 2009.

1. o_O

o_O Member

Once you have heavies, armor, engine, and guns what do you get? Maybe Biodeisel incase someone gets nukes, or absorbant incase someone gets rails. Basically you research stuff you don't need because someone requests it or you might need it someday.

I suggest research at the end of each tree that give tanks or infantry passive benifits, or improved versions of junk you already have, or useful abilities. They would be moderately priced, but take a long time. There would not be superweapons, or game enders, just something worth researching after heavies (or mediums) and weapons are done. The research could be boring, like + cannon damage, or it could be interesting, like giving all tanks a turbo button.

The goal would be to give teams something useful to research later in the game, without adding more tiers of weapons and tanks. Teams that could afford to keep research going would have an advantage. The benifits should not be enough that a team would want to rush them, or skip weapons or tanks to get, but it should also be things that are useful in any situation. Ideally the benifits should help make mediums viable, so that a team with tricked out upgraded mediums could hold their ground against heavies (until the heavies got upgrades too).

For example: Researching Upgraded Chassis would be the prereq for High Strength Alloys, which increase the weight limit and hull health of all tanks. After UML and HE are researched in the chem tree, High Yeild warheads could be researched, giving all cannons and missiles a larger splash and extra damage.

Sorry about how vague everything is, I know the research tree is going to be overhauled sooner or later so I didn't bother with anything specific. I just think this would be a good way to make the later game a little less monotonous and keep research and the radar relevant.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You spam your extremely effective heavies and win?

3. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

You're gonna win anyways...

What I usually do is research better machine guns, or artillery. Machine guns make good weakening weapons before tanks get within cannon range.

Artillery is basically a game ender. If you have time and money to research after you have heavies, artillery, armor, engine, and weapons, you're team fails, or you are playing slaughtered

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I've always thought this should be what heavies are.

A long, time consuming, expensive research which grants you the best tanks which allow you to put that much more power into your rushes.

Ideally mediums should be the main tanks, with 3 slot cannons, so they can use rails, and weight limits to allow them to carry a variety of weapons.

Heavies should be like arty, something you get if you need, and which is very useful, but don't always bother with. Except in this instance you get them in the event you reach late game and haven't already won. I think mediums are the better tanks, they are more fun to drive and having them use a variety of weapons instead of just dual cannons or dual missiles might spice up tank combat a bit.

More time-consuming researches with reduced benefits would help in the late game, to make it steadily more unstable until it eventually falls over because tanks are now powerful enough to singlehandedly destroy bases.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

IE how it is now

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

??

As it is now, medium tanks are servicable, but by no means the main tank.

You can win with mediums, but you can also win, possibly more easily in some cases, by going straight to heavies, especially if you're NF because NF heavies rarely have heat issues whereas BE ones sometimes do, and NF mediums are crap compared to NF light mark 2s.

Heavies are also not even remotely time consuming, they take 2 minutes longer than mediums to research, they should take like 10 minutes at least, I'd say 15.

They should be something which you get when you have gotten a variety of weapons for your mediums, and they should improve upon mediums by adding slightly more armor and the ability to carry more guns at once.

A medium should be able to carry full 15 weight armor, one 3 slot cannon, and one 2 missile as standard. A heavy should carry full 15 weight armor, two 2 slot cannons/missiles and at least 1 2 slot alternative weapon as standard. Lighter armor would allow the medium to carry a machinegun as well, and the heavy would be able to carry a 3 slot cannon and an MG, fully kitting them out.

The main restriction in firepower on a medium should be what you have researched, if you don't have an MG, ML, and cannon researched then you won't be able to kit out your medium, and until you do have one of each researched you also won't be able to fully kit out a heavy to greatly supercede a fully kitted out medium, because the medium will match you in firepower 3 slot cannon and 2 slot ML vs at best, dual MLs or dual 3 slot cannons, fairly even match).

Obviously a composite heavy would be ridiculously expensive and powerful, carrying full armor and weaponry, so you still have room for god heavies if you really can afford them.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  7. communism

communism poof

I think heavy tanks could do with a 5 minute research
    Would make mediums actually viable again...and since I think BE heavies are gay it would totally make me happy

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Never had a game, where one side had many composite, coolant, rail-gun/nukes heavies and didn't manage to win.
    So in my opinion there is enough late game research. Most games are decided before you even get heavies.

I like every idea, which brings back medium tanks. With the MKII they are almost unnecessary.
    Maybe give medium tanks also a LVL3 MG and make a LVL3 version of all MGs (including HE MG, Bio and Plasma).

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

3 slot HE would be a cannon.

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Nuke heavies or HE/ranged arty, depending on the map and team. Anything else and you're begging to lose.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Sometimes its good to just stop research so you can afford to put out as many tanks as possible.

12. [D3]Leroy Jenkins

[D3]Leroy Jenkins Member

Upgraded, guided, salvo nukes? Or Nuke artillery. Or nuclear bullets. Or level 4 turrets which launch nuke salvos and use nuclear bullets. :p

13. FN198

FN198 Member

it's called strategy and tactics.

when you are on equal terms with your enemy, it's time to think about how to win, not what to research next

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would win by researching better stuff, if there was better stuff to research.

Research is the only part of the game I can control, therefore that is how I help my team.

It's up to them to decide to use strategy and tactics.

15. willvette

willvette Member

what part of commanding as a commander don't you understand!!!!

16. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

all of it. I've seen him com, he's pretty shit really, his team just fucks about and he just rages at them unhelpfully or says nothing. aaaanyway, but that stage you just have to try and do rush after rush or ticket bleed.

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

That doesn't really work on servers with low vehicle limits (about 10 or less). Stopping research to pump out tanks really only works when you can get a significant vehicle advantage (i.e. like 5-10 more tanks than the enemy). This is nearly impossible to do on low-vehicle limit servers, unless you are already winning because you have more map control/res/tickets, then having more tanks is a moot point.