Bio-tech and nano-tech extremes

Discussion in 'Worldbuilding' started by Worlder, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Worlder

Worlder Member

Gene manipulation is Jekotian and nanite enhancement is Brenodi.

On the outside, the soldiers of both sides look pretty much like a normal human but with more endurance and strength thanks to such modifications.

However I though whatever some people on both sides decide to take their enhancements to a far end in order to achieve victory.

I mean more gene-tinkering than allowed and too many injections of nanites.

I say that too much gene-tinkering on a NF soldier and you get something like the Tyrant from Resident Evil along with loss of humanity.

Too many nanites in the blood would probably result in the development of Borg-like features if something ever malfunctions to those tiny machines. Hivemind is optional.

I mean there has to be some incidents in the Empires universe where some people on both sides took their tech to a really wrong end of the spectrum.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i doubt that would happen, even taking into concideration social freaks will tend to personify there social skills into becoming monstrous or something all these people are supposed to return to normal society one day

body attractiveness etc matter, if you could become a body builders strength but had ridiculous body proportions to the ugly factor, would you do it?

some would ofc, but even then not more then still able to use general sized stuff, like weapons (big hands would make that impossible) doors (big guy cant pass em) tanks (big guys dont fit in them)

armies rather have a uniform infantrymen that is known to withstand X then having unpredictable results in negative as positive

3. Worlder

Worlder Member

Well I do wonder if there are a few nutcases on both sides willing to become 11 ft tall and strong as a tank but cannot stop killing or be 60% machine, hook up to a tank (they become the tank) and use it as an outer shell but risk having the nanites control them instead.

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

In my unofficial empires sidestory novel, the Jekotian Phoenix Guard do such a thing. They are testing the next generation of military genetics, but the rather beta version. They are no longer human, but something much more in a bad way. This is the only instance of such a thing I know of, I cannot recall anything from any empires stories, official or not.

5. Worlder

Worlder Member

A war between a greater empire's army and the remnants of a fallen one is one thing.

A war between a greater empire's army and the remnants of a fallen one with occasional superfreaks on either side is really another thing.

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

That's where you get infantry like me.

7. Worlder

Worlder Member

So are you 11 ft tall with one arm being 3 time larger than the other and able to smash a tank?

Or do you have one laser eye and are cybernetically hooked up to a tank that oozes with nanites repairing any damage inflicted upon your outer shell.

Or are you some freak that took both side's needles way too much?

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

Pretty much.

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Worlder you misunderstand how BE nanotech works. Nano sized motors are grafted into the skeletal structure enhancing reaction times and strength. The core of the implanted technology is the nano-computer in the brain that controls the motors in sync with natural movements and essentially turns the mind into a living computer. E.g. for BE, the HUD would be part of their vision, put there by the implants. For NF, that same HUD would be shown with a visor or goggles of some kind (although ingame NF doesn't have that stuff for the sake of appearance before backstory that hardly anyone cares about).

10. Omneh

Omneh Member

These same nanotechnological enhancements are used as a supremely effective method of crowd control by the Brenodi ruling class, if I remember correctly.

NF would look rather cool with goggles and visors.

11. Worlder

Worlder Member

Yeah I read about that part. Former Jekotian don't want mood control and BE ruling class fears a superbug.

But the BE military probably uses some special nanites to create a tough soldier right?

For NF, just about every former Jekotian citizen probably has a little bit of one of their ancestor's super DNA enhancements.

But I was thinking if some people on either side think that the war won't end fast enough thus had to take some drastic measures such as more nanites or injecting themselves with whatever DNA-altering serum their former empire still has.

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Again, the BE enhancements aren't nanites. Nanites are involved in the integration since they are far more precise that human hands, but the actual enhancements are nano-mechanical and the computer integrated into the brain.

Also, the populace isn't mood control. It's basically an automated killsig that causes a person to slump to the ground unconscious if they attempt anything illegal. The computer implant monitors thoughts and intents and informs local law enforcement of anything of danger.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  13. Worlder

Worlder Member

Ok then what about some soldiers that voluntarily become bit more metal than typically allowed.

EDIT: Ok maybe there won't be enhanced freaks. But hey it just a possibility.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

bio visors etched onto the eye that work with color changing and impulse patterns

basically it works the same way as a deep sea squid can change his pattern at will or even color himself with lights

possible, no? could even be etched into the dna so there kids will have it too without surgery

actually this is a real life field of science, they already made mices tails glow in the dark on the beat of there heartbeat afair

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

JR opposes integrating technology with the body. Each side in summary:

BE thinks the human body is biologically perfect and should not be altered, but enhanced with unintrusive technological augmentation.
    JR believes that genetics should be modified to achieve the 'perfect person' without introducing external elements (such as technology) into the body.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its "breeding" a cellular based visor on the retina composed of color changing cells but then baked in to the fetus on birth

17. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

And it has to be linked up to some form of a computer.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

directly to the spinal string, reading data of impulses etc

its possible to make a biological computer btw, its been done before on a very small schale

19. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

And it goes against the nature of JR. It's not open to debate unless your talking to a story inclined dev. It's official story and you can't change it by convincing me.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Nothern Onos ftw?