[BUILDING]Stationary Artillery

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by zenarion, Jun 24, 2009.

?

Stationary Arty, Ballistic Missiles?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. zenarion

zenarion Member

Commander-built Stationary Artillery (SA) or Ballistic Missile, that utilizes the latest in Chargin' Mah Lazor technology.
    Size: maybe about the same as NF Radar.
    Constantly uses resources to produce and fire a single obscenely powerful shell, (or ICBM-looking thingy). When built, it also uses up one ticket, as to show that there is someone in there operating it. This ticket is then recovered if the SA is recycled.
    Process of building is sped up by engineers who can use their iPods to power the machine. Process should take a really long while, to justify the destruction firing such a missile would cause.
    When the missile/shell is ready to be fired, the commander gets an audible notice, and the silo/cannon changes a bit in appearance.
    Firing the SA is done by clicking a location on a minimap with them selected.

When cruising through the air, the missile/shell could be destroyed by rockets/missiles itself, since it is big, moves slower than a normal missile, and is of phallic, offensive shape. A premature detonation would cause an EMP in the sky, making any aircraft and vehicles caught in the effect lose control for a while. Also some flaming debris would fall and hopefully crush something.

Nuclear shells/missiles irradiate the surrounding area on detonation, creating plumes of green smoke that damages infantry that is inside it. On detonation, an EMP wave at the epicentre causes all electronics to malfunction, vehicles to stall, et c. It also does massive damage and knockback.

Scouts sabotaging such a building could have 2 effects:
    When in "ready to fire" mode, sabotaging the thing detonates the shell/missile, but to only half of maximum effect.
    When in "chargin ma lazor" mode, sabotaging the thing causes it to use double the resource to produce the actual shell.

Pros:
    + Commander can have some fun too.
    + You can still have arty. And it will obey your orders.

Cons:
    - Would require space to be built, and therefore is not adjusted to all maps we have already.
    - One more way to complicate the commander gameplay.

Alternatives:
    * Being a god damn hippie and opposing war.
    * Being a god damn hippie who is more into Bio Warfare, and likes spreading his AIDS around.

2. Bass

Bass Member

If such a thing existed, I would want a rate-of-fire to be like 1 shot per minute.

Don't feel like having my main destroyed from one artillery weapon.

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

<filler>

4. OuNin

OuNin Member

This would be feasible with conventionally armed missiles.

5. Omneh

Omneh Member

What he said.

Consider an artilliery emplacement with the area of four turrets, that fires shells that do similar damage to the grenadiers mortar, probably less. On their own, they are a good weapon for the commander to manage as a suppressive fire weapon, and en masse they could be quite devastating. However, their range is limited, and they can only fire at targets visible to a radar or engineer radar. As well as this, they are also vulnerable to sabotage, and rather easy to destroy. These emplacements would consume turret limit, meaning you would have to carefully manage your defences and rely more on the team to protect your interests.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

situation: 1 squad is holding a tactical position with a barracks but is assaulted by a larger force of infantry with some light tanks

squad leader: COMMANDER? COMMANDER ARE YOU THERE WE NEED SUPPORT ASAP WE ARE OVERRUN RAX IS GOING DOWN

commander: EVERYONE chill the f*ck out, i got this...

*artillery becomes available*

*artillery shells the crap out of the aggressor force*

commander: there you go, now clean up the mess that is left and take the next position

i could see this happening

7. zenarion

zenarion Member

I like this even more than my idea.

8. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

Better idea

a structure that is actually a vehicle, emplaced gun turret, etc etc

therefore, you can have a emplaced artillery cannon, or maybe a UML launcher

9. paradinas

paradinas Member

Anyone played Supreme Commander? This would be t2 artillery.
    Does it kill buildings, does it damage an area, or both?
    How does it compare to the mortar and artillery? I was under the impression that this role was filled by the artillery vehicle.